PDA

View Full Version : Excluding objects from drag selection?

Morganism
09-09-2010, 01:07 AM
Can anyone think of a fancy way to make an object immune to drag selection, and therefore only selectable by clicking on it? I'm thinking it's a long shot...

NaughtyNathan
09-09-2010, 10:09 AM
I'm not sure you could robustly do it in MEL.. maybe some kind of scriptJob on selection that analyses the history to figure out dragging or clicking (one obj selected == click, multiple == drag?) but I don't think this would be very effective... especially when you factor in component mode...

However, if you template your object you cannot select it by dragging, but you can still select it by RMB-clicking on it and choosing Select (or via the outliner).

why would you want to do this anyway Morgan?

:nathaN

ewerybody
09-09-2010, 11:09 AM
hmm without digging really deep you probably cannot do something like that. What you can simply do is: setup a scriptJob and run a command on selectionChange that only allows single selection of these objects and when you try to select them with other objects they automatically get deselected.

What do you actually want to do?

Morganism
09-09-2010, 09:43 PM
I figured, no big deal. Basically I have a script that plots a motion arc and displays it as an overlay over the camera view using paint effects. It has little dots for the individual frames, and then I have a scriptjob so when I select a frame tick it will go to that frame. But after doing that I realized that because it's an overlay, I still want to drag-select stuff behind it without changing time, and also I never want to select more than one frame tick. I'll take a look at the template option, but templated paint effects aren't pretty, which was kind of the point.

Thanks for the responses!

CGTalk Moderation
09-09-2010, 09:43 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.