PDA

View Full Version : Hard surface modeling. Topology rules

StrayCat
09-07-2010, 08:47 PM
A question for all you modeling gurus :)

I'm trying to improve on my modeling skills, and a certain workflow issue has been bugging me for awhile now.
What I'm curious about is how much attention do you guys pay to keeping your topology in a "all quads" state, if you know that you wont be using a program like zbrush later on and/or wont be deforming your mesh.

Does the "all quads" rule have any benefits in some other parts of the pipeline (UV mapping, texturing, etc.)?

Autarkis
09-08-2010, 05:05 PM
If it's hard surface, don't worry about an all quads policy on your mesh. It's a nice challenge for all of us modelers to attain the holy grail of perfect all quad topology, but the time spent on this is better spent actually working on your mesh ;)
It will subdivide better so keep an eye on non quad topology on your hard surface by smoothing your mesh from time to time and see how it's working out, but don't fret about it too much!

And no, there's no problems with texturing/uv mapping/rendering with non quads ( maybe uv mapping, it's harder to select a seam if the flow is interrupted, but that's not that big of an issue)

( P.S: zbrush 4 now seems to handle tris and ngons much better than in previous versions. I just loaded an obj with two tris, and when i subdivided it there was no weird pinching or sculpting problems around them. I thought that was pretty cool)

CGTalk Moderation
09-08-2010, 05:05 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.