PDA

View Full Version : First go at lip sync

PowderMonkey
09-07-2010, 07:02 AM
please critique

give me lots of feedback, i really want to improve. anything, even if it's "i don't like that shade of blue"

help me improve =) please.

youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7Er3J4bUYs

vimeo (once it finishes converting)
http://vimeo.com/14759958

Kanga
09-10-2010, 01:16 AM
Is the mouth drawn on? Seems like not much of the face is moving with the spoken animation.

PowderMonkey
09-10-2010, 09:50 AM
hmm. maybe I don't move my mouth much when I speak. I recorded footage of myself speaking the lines which I used for reference for mouth shapes

I take it from your comment that the shapes should be more pronounced? I wanted to avoid chewy movements, so tried to err on the side of subtlety

stuh505
09-11-2010, 09:22 PM
Well, it's not bad. It synchronizes well..

But to be perfectly honest, it looks like you modeled the mouth as a rectangular hole that varies in length, width, and skew. It's very wide and has a tendency to stay open in an odd rectangular shape when the person isn't even talking.

If you look at the facial animations in any of the Pixar movies, you will see they are much more dynamic in the shapes that the lips can create, and the lips also have a 3-dimensional aspect...ie, they can protrude beyond the surface rather than just having a hole in the face that changes in size.

PowderMonkey
09-12-2010, 03:32 AM
I didn't model the characters, it's the max rig for Maya, widely and freely available. I grabbed it from the 11secondclub resources section. This was a warm up exercise for me for the September competition there.

I'm getting the gist that i should make the extreme shapes of the mouth more extreme

Thanks for your feedback guys =)

How is the acting? Is there anything else which could use work?

CGTalk Moderation
09-12-2010, 03:32 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.