PDA

View Full Version : Krakatoa 1.6.0 Rendering Introduction Videos

Bobo
09-07-2010, 03:38 AM
The following YouTube videos provide an overview of some basic Krakatoa rendering techniques using the Evaluation Version 1.6.0 (meaning that you don't have to pay a penny to follow and produce the same results!)

Part 1: PRT Volume, Lighting, Emission and Absorption:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eudomaAnI6o

Part 2: Normals and Environment Reflection Maps:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhNsN289pcU

Part 3: Particle Color Sources:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xOR_jqDhME

More to come in the near future...
Share and enjoy!

floopyb
09-07-2010, 08:57 AM
Great stuff Bobo! Krakatoa 2012 looks great! hehe..
Must push my work to upgrade for the next job!!
Would love to see more videos :buttrock:

Glacierise
09-07-2010, 09:59 AM
The render settings docked to the frame buffer is an awesome touch, hadn't seen that one yet :)

PsychoSilence
09-07-2010, 02:42 PM
Sweet! finally some first hand videos :)

The docking is very MR :D with larger format renders i always have trouble with that on my notebook tho(not enough resolution)...But knowing krakatoa's genius it can be undocked :)

Bobo
09-07-2010, 05:06 PM
The render settings docked to the frame buffer is an awesome touch, hadn't seen that one yet :)

It has been around since after Max 2009 shipped in 2008! In fact, the reason Autodesk implemented the VFB extension panels in MAXScript was that we lobbied at Siggraph 2007 since I wanted Krakatoa to be able to provide its own set.

I recorded at 1280x960 (a fraction of my desktop area) and there really wasn't much room for both the main GUI and the VFB, so I used mainly the VFB controls. But that's just an option.

haavard
09-09-2010, 03:57 PM
:thumbsup:
Great effort! I have wanted to try Krakatoa for a time now, and these videos was the last push I needed.

Bobo
09-11-2010, 06:40 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rmOunBRKoA

This one is meant to show some basic workflows inside the particle data channel editor, while producing a relatively cool animated "gridify" effect...

Bobo
09-13-2010, 09:14 PM
Just a note that I have added an English Captioning track to all videos.
I also tested the auto-translation into Bulgarian and German and it kind of works, at least to get an idea what it is about.

The automatic CC generated by YouTube was ridiculous (think "broken phone game"), so I had to rewrite the text completely.

Share And Enjoy!

guero38
09-18-2010, 12:47 PM
Firstly very thanks.

I'm from Turkey and I'm 17.I'm 3ds max user since 2008.But I focused to particle fx to myself since june 2009...Now I learning particle flow and afterburn :))...

Sorry for my English.Very Thanks...

VTeixeira
09-19-2010, 02:45 AM
Thank you Bobo.
You are the man.
Fantastic tutorials.
Cheers

PexElroy
09-26-2010, 07:28 PM
Thanks Bobo - these videos are great :drool:

Bobo
09-27-2010, 02:20 AM
I just posted two new videos to YouTube which show the "Holy Grail" of Particle Flow users - particles following a path - implemented using Krakatoa tools.

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ps1FWERTRrs
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2OPHxFCp_8

Note that this will work with Krakatoa v1.6.0 Service Pack 1 and possibly with 1.5.x, but there was a bug in 1.6.0 that caused the velocities of a deformed PRT Loader to be inverted, so it is not recommended using the build 43178.

JohnnyRandom
09-27-2010, 02:45 AM
I just posted two new videos to YouTube which show the "Holy Grail" of Particle Flow users - particles following a path - implemented using Krakatoa tools.

Very cool!

guero38
09-27-2010, 10:45 AM
Thanks so much...

savat
09-27-2010, 11:08 AM
the first two tutorials for krakatoa that I totally understand :)

Bobo, I'm wingless from the wall of commands that opens in the krak UI...
running the risk of looking like Homer Simpson, I hope one day come a more digestible UI for noob users ;)

Bobo
09-27-2010, 04:33 PM
the first two tutorials for krakatoa that I totally understand :)

Bobo, I'm wingless from the wall of commands that opens in the krak UI...
running the risk of looking like Homer Simpson, I hope one day come a more digestible UI for noob users ;)

I admit that it LOOKS scary, but it isn't really.
Version 1.6.0 removed half of the rollouts in the Krakatoa floater, and once you live past the initial shock, it becomes very logical. It IS possible to create an alternative UI for newbies (the whole UI is scripted), but then you wouldn't be able to use some features, or you would be slower navigating around (a large number of the controls in 1.6.0 are for navigating to other places - the top row of buttons and the last 3 rows at the bottom of the Main Controls).

I will try to provide an alternative UI some day, just for fun... :)

savat
09-27-2010, 04:38 PM
...I will try to provide an alternative UI some day, just for fun... :)

yes, a 3 buttons UI would be nice :)
however, you are right...more working with it and more digestible is the interface ... but you still think of a "dry" IU...;)

Bobo
09-27-2010, 04:48 PM
yes, a 3 buttons UI would be nice :)

There is a "Krakatoa Toolbar" category in the Customize UI dialog that provides most options as MacroScripts. You can add those you think you need to a toolbar and use them instead of the Main GUI. But the things you will be able to do with Krakatoa will be very limited that way.

We are not adding buttons for the fun of it, but because with great power comes great ... flexibility. :)

Bobo
10-03-2010, 09:46 PM
I just posted Part 1 of a Krakatoa NPR demo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCE09lNV9pY

It discusses shading of particles using MagmaFlow including Lambert shading and simple Toon shading without the creation of actual scene lights.

VTeixeira
10-03-2010, 10:50 PM
You are the best Bobo.
Huge thanks.
Cheers

Glacierise
10-04-2010, 09:06 AM
That's hardcore! I always wondered how this shading works but was lazy to find out :) Thanks Bobo :bounce:

JohnnyRandom
10-06-2010, 02:31 AM
Thanks that was very enlightening :) this is a great series you have going on very educational, as always.

Bobo
10-06-2010, 10:19 PM
Here are some results produced during the preparations for Part 2 of the NPR video.
Try to figure out how to do these before I post the tutorial...

http://www.scriptspot.com/bobo/krakatoa/kra_bunny_toon_ink2.mov
http://www.scriptspot.com/bobo/krakatoa/kra_bunny_toon_pencil4strokes.mov
http://www.scriptspot.com/bobo/krakatoa/kra_bunny_toon_penci.mov
http://www.scriptspot.com/bobo/krakatoa/kra_bunny_toon_charcoal.mov
http://www.scriptspot.com/bobo/krakatoa/bunny_toon_smearstrokes.mov

JohnnyRandom
10-06-2010, 10:46 PM
Hmmmm, how long till you post them :)

Bobo
10-06-2010, 10:56 PM
Hmmmm, how long till you post them :)

Typically I produce videos over the weekend.

VTeixeira
10-06-2010, 11:25 PM
Absolutely fantastic.
Cheers

oatz
10-06-2010, 11:32 PM
Great info. You should definitely put this up on the blog.

savat
10-07-2010, 08:49 AM
krakatoon...vs pencil+ :)

JohnnyRandom
10-09-2010, 01:04 AM
Haven't been able to replicate them but some thoughts :) :

The ink looks nice very solid, thinking just a real close variant to the original tut, with the gradient something like 0-10 black 11-100 white?

The four pencil stroke looks like your messing with four steps of motion blur

LOL no idea with the pencil, something with a cellular shader?

The charcoal is hard to tell, a falloff in density?

The smear strokes look like your pushing along a vector.

Bobo
10-11-2010, 07:30 PM
I just posted Part 2 of the NPR tutorial.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R34gBnaECg

It shows only the Ink (same as Part 1 just without the Paint) and one of the many possible pencil styles based on shifting particles along a velocity vector perpendicular to both the camera view axis and the normal, which happens to be the tangent of the outline...

Johnny's guesses were pretty close to the actual techniques used... Good job!

VTeixeira
10-12-2010, 12:18 AM
Sorry, it is available.
Thank you Bobo.
Cheers

JohnnyRandom
10-13-2010, 06:12 PM
I just posted Part 2 of the NPR tutorial.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R34gBnaECg

Interesting, I was wondering how to get/set the vector length, good practical exercises for the "to space" conversion ops. Thanks

Still really digging on the Holy Grail of pFlow ;)

Bobo
10-13-2010, 08:08 PM
Interesting, I was wondering how to get/set the vector length, good practical exercises for the "to space" conversion ops. Thanks

A small note about that - although it does not affect that specific example much, it would make more sense to switch the FromView operator to "Vector" mode since it operates on a vector and not on a point. When applying the transformation in Vector mode, the translation part of the matrix is set to [0,0,0]. So for most other variations of that example (e.g. the slanted strokes case I showed a Quicktime of), you would have to use Vector mode of the transform operator.

JohnnyRandom
10-14-2010, 05:27 PM
I think I understand, so this would get you an actual direction to use, is that correct?

Bobo
10-14-2010, 07:30 PM
I think I understand, so this would get you an actual direction to use, is that correct?

We want the vector [0,0,-1] to be taken from View Space into World Space. In the process, we don't want to translate it, just rotate it so it points along the camera. If you want to use the vector [1,1,0] to define a 45 degrees vector in the image plane and then want to shift particles in world space so that they still coincide with the image plane no matter where the camera is, you MUST switch the FromView to "Vector" mode, otherwise the value will depend on where the camera position is relatively to the origin and the vector will not be parallel to the image plane.

In the video example, due to the placement of the PRT Volume and the viewer, using Point mode instead of Vector did not mate a big difference to the [0,0,-1] vector, but it is indeed a mistake. I am just too lazy to rerecord the whole thing, so I might just add a bubble and explain it on screen in the current video...

sainky
10-19-2010, 12:33 PM
Bobo,you are good man!Thanks for your YouTube videos!
So unluckyly ,i can't open the website!Could i consult you some question?

When i want to save sequences to render by Krakatoa,it shows error:
3ds max attempted to crash,but the Krakaoa GUI caught the exception.
I only render one Frame at one time.It was why ?
By the way,how to render shadow channel that the particles on the geometry by Krakatoa.For example,the shadow that the particles on the ground,and the ground is matte.

Thanks a lot!

braam
10-19-2010, 08:43 PM
Thanks so much Bobo for adding Closed Captions/Subtitles -- you made the Krakatoa videos accessible for Deaf artists including myself. I can now follow without any hassles. :thumbsup:

Bobo
10-19-2010, 10:04 PM
Thanks so much Bobo for adding Closed Captions/Subtitles -- you made the Krakatoa videos accessible for Deaf artists including myself. I can now follow without any hassles. :thumbsup:

It wasn't a conscious decision, but now I am glad I took the time. :)

The story went like this: Google has this module that tries to auto-generate CC through speech recognition. The result was the most amusing text you would ever see - funnier than translating an English text into Chinese and back into English via an online translator. It had so much political nonsense including words like "taliban" and "chaney" I simply could not leave it like that. I could not figure out how to effectively disable that "feature" so I decided to download their time code file and rewrite it all by hand to make it reflect what I was saying. I really hope Google is using the submitted files to "teach" the speech recognition system new vocabulary...

On top of that, I have a terrible accent and assumed many people might wonder what I was saying... ;)

I still have to process the last two tutorials (Toon shading), but now that I know somebody depends on the CC, I will do it gladly!

Cheers!

Bobo
10-19-2010, 10:10 PM
Bobo,you are good man!Thanks for your YouTube videos!
So unluckyly ,i can't open the website!Could i consult you some question?

When i want to save sequences to render by Krakatoa,it shows error:
3ds max attempted to crash,but the Krakaoa GUI caught the exception.
I only render one Frame at one time.It was why ?
By the way,how to render shadow channel that the particles on the geometry by Krakatoa.For example,the shadow that the particles on the ground,and the ground is matte.

Thanks a lot!

Let's start with version numbers - what version of Max, Windows and Krakatoa are you using? Are you running a commercial, evaluation or some other version of Krakatoa? Are you running in 64 bit? What are you saving - Particle Flow, TP, PRT Volume particles or something else? Any additional info would be useful.

The error you see is caused by a Max crash similar to "Unknown System Exception" in MAXScript - something went wrong somewhere deep in Max and it is unclear what it is. The code around the Render/Save button of Krakatoa catches that and shows the message you saw. If you would have pressed the regular "teapot" icon in the Max toolbar, I suspect Max would have just crashed to desktop.

I don't know why it is crashing though, Krakatoa is very stable for me and I have never really seen that message in my daily practice. There must be something wrong with your Max installation or scene, but I don't know what it is. There is never a good reason for Krakatoa to crash, so it is not expected. :)

Please provide more info.

sainky
10-20-2010, 08:17 AM
Let's start with version numbers - what version of Max, Windows and Krakatoa are you using? Are you running a commercial, evaluation or some other version of Krakatoa? Are you running in 64 bit? What are you saving - Particle Flow, TP, PRT Volume particles or something else? Any additional info would be useful.

The error you see is caused by a Max crash similar to "Unknown System Exception" in MAXScript - something went wrong somewhere deep in Max and it is unclear what it is. The code around the Render/Save button of Krakatoa catches that and shows the message you saw. If you would have pressed the regular "teapot" icon in the Max toolbar, I suspect Max would have just crashed to desktop.

I don't know why it is crashing though, Krakatoa is very stable for me and I have never really seen that message in my daily practice. There must be something wrong with your Max installation or scene, but I don't know what it is. There is never a good reason for Krakatoa to crash, so it is not expected. :)

Please provide more info.

Thanks so much for your particular help! I use in windowsXp 32 bit,and it is the particle flow emittered from the motion bip.When i rendered in a new scene,it was not error.I think it was my scene is wrong. I only redo it !
Thank you,Bobo! It is my project.:)
http://g6a50.mail.163.com/js3/read/readdata.jsp?sid=BBfMTdgHkbiZwzUevZHHrJRBkidgbxle&mid=83:1tbiUwJwiEueo3uE1wAAs3&part=3&mode=download&l=read&action=download_attach

Bobo
10-20-2010, 05:14 PM
Thanks so much for your particular help! I use in windowsXp 32 bit,and it is the particle flow emittered from the motion bip.When i rendered in a new scene,it was not error.I think it was my scene is wrong. I only redo it !

The error you saw was most probably caused by memory fragmentation. Windows 32 bit provides only a limited amount of memory to 3ds Max (as you know, default is only 2GB). This memory can get used up in chunks which can cause a memory allocation to fail depending on how long Max has been running. Thus, in some cases simply restarting Max and reloading the scene could solve this issue. So it is a fundamental problem with 32 bit computing.

In general, we do NOT recommend using 32 bit Windows since Krakatoa is one of the most memory-demanding applications out there. You should be prepared to see a lot of these errors when you push the particle counts higher...

sainky
10-20-2010, 06:39 PM
The error you saw was most probably caused by memory fragmentation. Windows 32 bit provides only a limited amount of memory to 3ds Max (as you know, default is only 2GB). This memory can get used up in chunks which can cause a memory allocation to fail depending on how long Max has been running. Thus, in some cases simply restarting Max and reloading the scene could solve this issue. So it is a fundamental problem with 32 bit computing.

In general, we do NOT recommend using 32 bit Windows since Krakatoa is one of the most memory-demanding applications out there. You should be prepared to see a lot of these errors when you push the particle counts higher...

Oh,so it was!Hehe,my computer‘s configuration is low ,only 1.5G.
Thanks,Bobo!Wish you have good night! ^_^

sainky
10-20-2010, 06:43 PM
Hehe,i forget when China is the night,your place is the day.Whatever, thank you so much!

CGTalk Moderation
10-20-2010, 06:43 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.