PDA

View Full Version : Normal map tutorials for Maya

Koochy
09-07-2010, 02:08 AM
Does anyone know of any good tutorials regarding normal map work-flow inside Maya? I don't want to use zBrush or Mudbox.

Basically, I have a few questions that I can't find answers to.

- Do you make a low poly shell first, then create a high poly out of that? Can you make a high poly first then reduce? Which way would you recommend?
- What happens if you change the topology of the low poly after you've finished the high poly model?
- Do you have the UV unwrap either of the models?
- Lets say you're modelling a car. Do you transfer normal maps for each object? Wheels, body, motor etc? Does the normal map arrange itself as per the UV map after unwrapping?

I think that's all I have at the moment. I want to model some hardbody things soon, but want to make sure I take the right approach and follow correct procedure.

Thanks for any help :)

ezekiel66
09-07-2010, 03:37 PM
- Do you make a low poly shell first, then create a high poly out of that? Can you make a high poly first then reduce? Which way would you recommend?
- What happens if you change the topology of the low poly after you've finished the high poly model?
- Do you have the UV unwrap either of the models?
- Lets say you're modelling a car. Do you transfer normal maps for each object? Wheels, body, motor etc? Does the normal map arrange itself as per the UV map after unwrapping?

1. It doesn't matter in what order you create the low and high poly versions of your model. Some people prefer to create a low resolution model first, then create the high resolution model from it. Others model the high resolution model first, then retopologize in a tool like topogun. Might be a bit easier than the first approach because you don't have to worry about topology and modeling at the same time. But depends entirely on your preference. You'll have to find out yourself what the workflow is that you are most comfortable with.

2. Nothing. You might have to readjust/ recreate your UV layout depending what it is exactly that you have changed in your model and recreate the normal map.

3. You have to create a UV layout for your low resolution model.

4. You can create separate maps for each part of your model or create one map for every part. Depends on your requirements. I'm not sure what you mean by "Does the normal map arrange itself...". It will match the UV layout that you have created for your low resolution model.

Koochy
09-07-2010, 09:58 PM
Fantastic! This all makes a lot more sense now, really appreciate your input. I also found this link (http://wiki.polycount.com/NormalMap) over at Polycount also which has helped a lot in terms of getting my head around this stuff. Next step is to actually turn these thoughts into actions.

Thank you!

CGTalk Moderation
09-07-2010, 09:58 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.