PDA

View Full Version : which software, just went back to 3d

Menderis
09-06-2010, 06:58 PM
I am a happy 3dsmax user but after what I saw the guys doing with shadowbox of zbrush I am totally amazed and more I wonder if max since then has any use...?
Everything works so much faster and easier with zbrush, so why is max still alive.

I basically wanna know if it is still clever to learn or advance in max or shall I totally stick to zbrush ?

scrimski
09-06-2010, 07:37 PM
Everything works so much faster and easier with zbrush, so why is max still alive.
Try animating in ZBrush.
Or creating particles.

CGmascot
09-06-2010, 08:04 PM
Like said before, Max does plenty stuff that Zbrush doesn't - and vice versa. It all depends on what features you need. If you need only the things Zbrush does well than you can certainly focus on Zbrush. Personally I use 2-4 different 3D softwares actively - each for its strenghts.

Menderis
09-06-2010, 10:13 PM
sure I think the same but in zbrush for example, the gunmodeling with shadowbox became so fast and easy, you may wonder why to use max in future for such things, so the only things that stay are the particles or animations etc...

Mr. D
09-08-2010, 08:38 PM
Hello

Well for gaming try taking a beautiful 40,000 poly gun model out of zbrush and running it in any game engine. You'll quickly see why good low poly modelers are still needed, though zbrush can create excellant normal maps off high res characters and objects for use on low res models.

Mr. D

Assassin0323
09-17-2010, 07:28 AM
ZBrush is good for organic models but hard surface such as cars and props cannot be done in ZBrush. Building the basic topology in programs such as Maya or Max then exporting it as an OBJ into ZBrush makes intricate details a breeze. Just modeling in ZBrush can lead to major problems with topology down the road if you are not careful. If you plan to start working in ZBrush I recommend that you download Decimation Master from the Pixologic site it will automatically make your high res(high density) meshes much lower in poly count while maintaining the detail. ZBrush is a lot of fun I definitely would recommend it but you should start all of your models in another 3D package (maya or max etc.) then import into ZBrush either using OBJ or GoZ.

Hope that answers your question.
Best of luck.

ezekiel66
09-17-2010, 04:51 PM

Zbrush is a highly specialized program. The models produced there look awesome (if you have the talent...), but are not really usable 1:1 outside of zbrush because of the usually extremely high poly count.

Why Max is still alive? Low poly modeling. Rigging. Animating. Particles and other Dynamics like cloth. Hair. To name but a few fields that zbrush does not cover. It's a great program to create highly detailed organic models in, for everything else stick to Max, XSI or the like.

Zbrush is a great (and in some fields essential) tool in a great range of other tool sets. But nothing more. It will never replace Max or Maya and does not want to.

CGTalk Moderation
09-17-2010, 04:51 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.