PDA

View Full Version : Smooth rendering stuck "on"

odds91
09-06-2010, 02:07 AM
I've been working in max recently, and every time I try to render an object that has very strict facet-based geometry [no smoothing at all], it results rendering as a smooth-highlight render instead. I was fiddling with "something" the other day but I can't seem to re-trace my steps on what exactly caused my facet+highlights based geometries to end up rendering as smooth+highlights geometry.

Is there any way I can toggle this off in the renderer? I can toggle it off in the viewport, but it still renders it as smooth :cry:

http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/tt144/atroxcg/smooth_render.jpg

IQ40
09-06-2010, 07:35 AM
Try changing the smoothing groups on the object. You can find it on the polygon sub level.

scrimski
09-06-2010, 09:01 AM
You can also use a Smooth modifier. Does quite the same but on an object level.

odds91
09-06-2010, 10:18 AM
thanks for the replies!

adding the smooth modifier took care of it, but i don't want to apply a smooth modifier every time i make an object when it shouldn't be behaving this way in the first place :banghead:

http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/tt144/atroxcg/smoothing.jpg

odds91
09-06-2010, 10:29 AM
I have also tried this on other objects besides planes and they do the same thing... It doesn't make sense to me as to why adding a smooth modifier would fix this... it should be the other way around :argh:

Are there any files that contain cached info that I could clear/delete so this would reset itself? Any insight would be really helpful here :)

http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/tt144/atroxcg/moresmooth.jpg

Psyk0
09-06-2010, 02:33 PM
I setup a shortcut to clear all smoothing groups,

The function is "clear all smoothing groups (poly)" in customize user interface, scroll down the all commands and you will find it. You will also find shortcuts in the graphite modeling tools if you are using a newer version of max

Or under properties of graphite modeling tools ribbon.

odds91
09-07-2010, 09:20 AM
Thanks for the input psyk0, although I'm still having the same issue :surprised

I also assigned it as a hotkey, and it didn't change anything, I'll see if a full reinstall will fix this. :bounce:

Psyk0
09-07-2010, 11:00 PM
Yeah i'm having problems with unwrap shortcuts myself =/, sometimes shutting down and restarting works for me.

Piflik
09-12-2010, 04:42 PM
Are you by any chance using the Facets+Highlights Display Mode in your Viewport? That has no influence whatsoever on the rendered image...it only affects the Viewport...Max' Objects have Smoothing Groups by default on creation (as you see on your deformed green Box...the original edges of the Box are hard, while the others are smooth)...if you want to render the object faceted, you have to remove the Smoothing Groups, the fastest way is to select all Polygons and click the 'Remove all Smoothing Groups' Button (I put it in a Quad Menu for faster access)...Id also advise you to keep your Viewport in the Smooth+Hghlights Mode, if you want to have the closest representation of what you'll get in the rendered image.

CGTalk Moderation
09-12-2010, 04:42 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.