PDA

View Full Version : breaking stumps on collision?

saiinch
09-05-2010, 06:33 PM
hi every one, i am new to particle flow tools box world, i watches some videos on internet and read posts on this forum and on some other, it developed my interest in Pflow tools box. I am using tools box#2 and i am trying to break the stump when the ball hit them, i managed to add the stump in birth group and added PhysX Glue as well but when i scrub the time line my stump blows without any collision, kindly guide me to the correct direction so that i can learn and improve my self with Pflow Tools Box.

Thanking you all.

savat
09-06-2010, 12:35 PM
hi,
your physx world have the ground collision checked and your pensil intersect on it and is rejected.
restart from this point and remember to active the sphere deflector.

saiinch
09-06-2010, 01:35 PM
hi,
your physx world have the ground collision checked and your pensil intersect on it and is rejected.
restart from this point and remember to active the sphere deflector.
Thank you for correcting me, i am unable to open the file you attached, are you using 3ds Max 2011, i am using 2010

savat
09-06-2010, 02:00 PM
sorry,
this is a 2010 format.
however, errors are:

-the base of the penic intersect the base plane of the physx world;
-collision modifier is deactived;
-glue bind distance is low...increase it with "visualize binding" actived until binds appears in viewport;
-decrease subframe factor (too high).
-apply xform modifiers at pencil meshes.

I'm not a great particle user but you ca start from this advices.

saiinch
09-06-2010, 03:08 PM
sorry,
this is a 2010 format.
however, errors are:

-the base of the penic intersect the base plane of the physx world;
-collision modifier is deactived;
-glue bind distance is low...increase it with "visualize binding" actived until binds appears in viewport;
-decrease subframe factor (too high).
-apply xform modifiers at pencil meshes.

I'm not a great particle user but you ca start from this advices.

Thank you, it works great!!!

saiinch
09-06-2010, 03:47 PM
another issue i am facing is that, when i added the bails on stumps they look fine at frame 0 but on frame 1 they float in air, why is that happening? what i am doing wrong? please guide me.
thank you

savat
09-06-2010, 04:54 PM
I suppose you need to read about concave and covex shapes...
because concavity are not allowed (but there are some tricks http://vimeo.com/6757009), Physx read bails who compenetrates in stamps and, like your first problem, spit out them.

saiinch
09-06-2010, 06:00 PM
I suppose you need to read about concave and covex shapes...
because concavity are not allowed (but there are some tricks http://vimeo.com/6757009), Physx read bails who compenetrates in stamps and, like your first problem, spit out them.

ah! thanks for your reply, i am learning from the link you gave me. thanks again

PsychoSilence
09-06-2010, 10:31 PM
Savat is perfectly right! Depending on your particle count you got to do some "particle origami" in order to get convex meshes in PFlow. Think how you can build your convex object out of concave shapes. If you tackle that mind trick you are half way there :) A good tip to glue your particles tight is to combine 2 glue tests right on top of each other. Like glue your particles with distance binding and binding distance to get the basic gluing going, then add another glue below the first one set to rigid with a higher solver factor (0.5=wobbly > 1.2=stiff).

saiinch
09-07-2010, 07:02 AM
Savat is perfectly right! Depending on your particle count you got to do some "particle origami" in order to get convex meshes in PFlow. Think how you can build your convex object out of concave shapes. If you tackle that mind trick you are half way there :) A good tip to glue your particles tight is to combine 2 glue tests right on top of each other. Like glue your particles with distance binding and binding distance to get the basic gluing going, then add another glue below the first one set to rigid with a higher solver factor (0.5=wobbly > 1.2=stiff).

thank you guys for your support, hope i will get my hands on the process you've mentioned, i will let you guys know future progress :)

PS. Mr.Anselm you are one of my favorite CG Artist, i saw your demo reel about 2 years ago and since then wanted to be like you, thank you.

saiinch
09-07-2010, 09:33 AM
@PsychoSilence: i tried to do as you said, but i guess i am not getting close to what you said......argh! frustration :D would you be kind enough to check the attached file.

thank you

HornBerger
09-07-2010, 01:26 PM
when working with toolbox the one thing you must always take care of is that the physX shapes must not intersect each other (choose shaded or wire-frame from the physX shape operators "display as" drop down and scrub the time slider and make sure that the shapes do not intersect (which is true in your case the bails are intersecting the wickets and therefore creating artifacts in the begging of the anmation popularly refered to as physX explosion))

here is my attempt at it... (its just a basic version you could improve it further by adding swing or spin to the ball via wind operator and by rooting the wickets more firmly to the ground so that they get uprooted from their apex when hit by the ball rather than being blown away etc..)

if you are confused why i have used a particular settings refer the documentation for tool box, its very interactive and nicely done http://www.orbaz.com/documentation/particleflowtools/box2/

if your are looking for further reference i would recommend the PFlow Toolbox Office: Volume 2 - Guide to Particle Flow Tools: Box 2 Pro By Anselm von Seherr, its must have if you are interested in toolbox 2.. you can read more about it here ... http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/508223

[attached max 2010 file]

cheers! :)

saiinch
09-07-2010, 02:46 PM
@HornBerger: thank you so much, this looks great, can't this be done in easier way? i mean you added four different events, i am just a new in Pflow tools i need to learn alot.....thank you

one more question, i have a box which is fragmented i am adding that in to birth group but when i scrub the time slider it always blows, how can i stop the gravity without switching of the physX gravity, shoooo i must learn to work with Pflow tools its greaaat!

HornBerger
09-07-2010, 03:20 PM
can't this be done in easier way?
sure it can, (the bails event can be compressed into 1) (you could even drop the ball event and replace it with the physX collision operator in the stumps event...) i just wanted to demonstrate flexibility of the toolbox.. but i cannot write an essay explaining every event here (i can only point out key features), that is why i recommended reading the documentation first, its up to you to do research and understand how different physX setups/files work as its the best way to learn new software...

i have a box which is fragmented i am adding that in to birth group but when i scrub the time slider it always blows

if you are talking about the fragments similar to the one hidden in the max file you posted earlier then since the shapes are concave when you assign the physX shape operator the shapes will intersect each other... resulting in the physX explosion as i mentioned in my previous post (and other people in the forum) .. i would recommend the rayfire tool for fragmenting/exploding objects (without causing the physX explosion, in most cases, using the voroni fragmentation type) however there are other methods as well which maybe a little painful.. example you would need to model the fractures such that there "convex hulls" do not intersect each other ...

cheers! :)

PsychoSilence
09-07-2010, 03:48 PM
PS. Mr.Anselm you are one of my favorite CG Artist, i saw your demo reel about 2 years ago and since then wanted to be like you, thank you.

if your are looking for further reference i would recommend the PFlow Toolbox Office: Volume 2 - Guide to Particle Flow Tools: Box 2 Pro By Anselm von Seherr, its must have if you are interested in toolbox 2.. you can read more about it here ...http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/508223

Thanks for the flowers, guys :) Render me blushed!

What can help getting rid of the "wiggle" is a higher Shape Interpenetration Tolerance in connection with "Allow Binding Penetration" checked in the physx glue. That way when bindings intersect and geo interpenetrates at least physx is not flipping out about it. http://www.orbaz.com/documentation/particleflowtools/box2/animations/PhysXGlue_AllowBindingPenetration.html

I adjusted the glue a bit but didnt change much, Hornberger's file is getting you there nicely :)

I raised the amount of particles binding, the more the more rigid it will be. And i set it to bind with different events so the resting spindles bind with the pillars. lastly i upped the force necessary to break the binding a bit to keep it all more contained longer.

thanks,
Ansi

saiinch
09-07-2010, 06:26 PM
guys thank you so much for your support, you guys are generous.

@HornBerger: man your suggestion worked like a charm and a big thanks for the documentation link its a great help.

@PsychoSilence: thank you for giving a helping hand to me and all others. :D

i will surely disturb you guys again and i hope there will always be helping hands for all of us :D

PS. i didn't knew that this will be this much tricky, :D when i started working on this.

CGTalk Moderation
09-07-2010, 06:26 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.