PDA

View Full Version : descent schools in CA for animation/game design that don't rip your wallet in half

drey101
09-05-2010, 12:33 AM
just like it says in the title, does anybody know descent schools in CA (preferably near San Fran) that don't cost you a leg and a half like AAU or AI or

gawl126
09-05-2010, 05:15 PM
What about SJSU's animation program? It's a public state university so it is cheaper. I know someone mentioned another school in Oakland, but I can't recall the name.

drey101
09-05-2010, 07:49 PM
What about SJSU's animation program? It's a public state university so it is cheaper. I know someone mentioned another school in Oakland, but I can't recall the name.
the SJSU looks nice, the illustration/animation program looks promising, i wonder if i can get a BFA there and try to get a masters in animation ni AAU, does anyone know if AAU allows that? Also i looked into UCs but i don't think any of them really have a good animation/game design program (UCS has one but it's still expensive about 40k for tuition)

MrConterno
09-06-2010, 06:33 AM
animation mentor? Online but its a pretty good program and doesn't cost to much.

drey101
09-06-2010, 04:05 PM
animation mentor? Online but its a pretty good program and doesn't cost to much.
thank you, it looks like an awesome program but it's not exactly what i am looking for. But i might take it up (or part of it) after i get a degree it looks like a good place to to work with professionals and get personal feedback

gawl126
09-07-2010, 04:32 AM
the SJSU looks nice, the illustration/animation program looks promising, i wonder if i can get a BFA there and try to get a masters in animation ni AAU, does anyone know if AAU allows that? Also i looked into UCs but i don't think any of them really have a good animation/game design program (UCS has one but it's still expensive about 40k for tuition)

It is a pretty good program from what I know of. It received 3 year funding from DreamWorks in 2009 and they were recently part of a panel consisting of representatives from Ringling, TAMU, Animation Mentor, and SCAD at the annual DreamWorks Educators' Symposium.

Get in contact with the advisors and see if the program is right for you. Also note that you must take all the core art classes and submit a portfolio for review before you're allowed to even progress further into the program.

drey101
09-07-2010, 06:26 AM
It is a pretty good program from what I know of. It received 3 year funding from DreamWorks in 2009 and they were recently part of a panel consisting of representatives from Ringling, TAMU, Animation Mentor, and SCAD at the annual DreamWorks Educators' Symposium.

Get in contact with the advisors and see if the program is right for you. Also note that you must take all the core art classes and submit a portfolio for review before you're allowed to even progress further into the program.
thanks for the advice, i sent them an email and awaiting their reply. It sounds like a really good and cheap alternative to a program at AI that i was looking into (because that's the only good place in Sacramento) and unless i get a scholarship i don't think it's worth it, and this program is looking to be just what i need, hopefully everything is going to work out :)

dancgfx
09-14-2010, 06:06 AM
SJSU seems good. It's mentioned here (http://www.sjsu.edu/faso/Applying/Cost_of_Attendence/) that the fee $22k(including boarding) would that be the same for international students too?

Meloncov
09-14-2010, 06:43 PM

Probably CCA. Tuition is high, but financial aid can be very generous (my roommate got a full ride, and I'm paying well under half).

http://www.cca.edu/academics/animation/faculty

gawl126
09-14-2010, 09:44 PM
Probably CCA. Tuition is high, but financial aid can be very generous (my roommate got a full ride, and I'm paying well under half).

http://www.cca.edu/academics/animation/faculty

Yes, I think that's the school. I wasn't aware of the cost of the tuition though.

dancgfx
10-09-2010, 08:56 AM
@Meloncov: Thanks! you're right. I was looking at the other one.

Can any one update this thread with more names of the good colleges at California which aren't very expensive. This would be a great help.

shantie
01-20-2011, 02:03 PM
I know that Pixar directors John Lasseter and Brad Bird went to Calarts [one of the well-known boarding schools in ca (http://www.teen-boarding-school.com/)]. I also know of more than one student who went to CSSSA Innerspark and later to Calarts and who are now doing internships at Pixar.

Meloncov
01-22-2011, 07:39 PM
I know that Pixar directors John Lasseter and Brad Bird went to Calarts [one of the well-known boarding schools in ca (http://www.teen-boarding-school.com/)]. I also know of more than one student who went to CSSSA Innerspark and later to Calarts and who are now doing internships at Pixar.

...CalArts is a college, not a boarding school. And is most definitely not cheap.

CGTalk Moderation
01-22-2011, 07:39 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.