PDA

View Full Version : Noob question here. Attach two shapes

manservantpablo
09-02-2010, 06:40 PM
I am really sorry. This question is really dumb, but the answer escapes me.

When I first started modeling, I could recall using several polys together to form one shape, then I applied some kind of modifier to make all those shapes into one object. Not an object that had different elements making up one object, but all those elements molded into the final shape... And I completely forgot how I did it... Please help! Thanks in advance!

Reed5point0
09-02-2010, 08:59 PM
What software?

Autarkis
09-02-2010, 09:05 PM
Are you talking about a boolean operation?

manservantpablo
09-02-2010, 09:14 PM
Very sorry I thought I was in the 3d max forum. I am modeling in 3ds Max... And It might be a boolean, yes. Booleans combine two or more shapes to make another shape correct? They can also cut away.

Booleans are pretty bad to use though, I have been running into issues with them at render time.... constantly crashing max.

Autarkis
09-02-2010, 09:26 PM
I think that the new max versions have something built in called pro booleans that give you better results.
Nontheless, if you want to get a good results out of it you're going to have to clean up edges and vertices on your final boolean output.

manservantpablo
09-02-2010, 09:28 PM
Trying to model a complex series of polys, Ill probably end up edge modeling it because when I try boolean it works, but I am using a toon shader and its putting lines and edges in weird places! But thanks for the help :D

sqrlcub
09-04-2010, 04:23 AM
In Maya, you want to combine the objects (/mesh/combine) then go to the merge vertex tool (/edit mesh/merge vertex).

sqrlcub
09-04-2010, 04:24 AM
Totally would have helped if I read the rest of your response and saw it was max.

manservantpablo
09-07-2010, 12:50 AM
No you helped me! lol I think I may switch to Maya... Is it better for video's n such?

Autarkis
09-07-2010, 05:20 PM
What do you mean for videos and stuff?

sqrlcub
09-08-2010, 11:53 PM
"No you helped me! lol I think I may switch to Maya... Is it better for video's n such?"

I've not really used max much. I think Max has better built in textures in general but it should work similarly for the video things. I haven't really seen a big break down between the two for video.

CGTalk Moderation
09-08-2010, 11:53 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.