PDA

View Full Version : any lens flare techniques i can use?

jugalo180
09-30-2003, 07:19 AM
can someone point me to a tutorial or something that would get me better results than the lens flare in photoshop 7? i do not like the added glare that is produced by the plugin.

klingspor
09-30-2003, 02:24 PM
Well, you are aware of the fact that lens flares are generally frowned upon, right?

That being said, there is a useful lensflare plug-in that comes with one of the KPT packages... I'm pretty sure it's KPT6.
If you want to go all out, you could do it in 3D, but I'd suppose that would give more lens flare than you could ever use... :p

jugalo180
09-30-2003, 05:10 PM
i know that it is frowned upon. i hate the cheezy lens flare myself, but i want to accentuate some jewelry, i want to bring out the sparkle in it.

singularity2006
09-30-2003, 05:50 PM
actually, if you're only doing jewelry, you may find some better results simply creating the effect yourself. In one instance, it'll be at least a creation of your own and not a frowned upon filter. Next of all, you usually have more control over it this way anyway.

For your jewelry, create a layer that is specifically for applying a glow to the item by using a white gradient to transparent and overlay it or blend it someway over the item. On a separate layer, draw a cross at the point of the "flare" in white with 1px width pencil. Use the eraser tool with a fairly high width with a 100px blur and erase each point of the cross. Duplicating the layer a couple of times and blurring them and giving them a slight 1* rotation can give you a sort of neat look. This of course WILL require tweaking because initially, it'll look quite fake, but with just the right amount of work, you'd be surprised with your results.

berniebernie
10-05-2003, 04:55 PM
here's what you can do:

a) Open your image, do a lens flare wherever you want.
b) Undo the step
c) Create a new layer filled with black
d) Do a lens flare, the position should be good
e) take off anything you don't want (some halos, etc) by painting black over them
f) select a layer blending such as dodge,overlay,light or anything, the black will dissapear...

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.