PDA

View Full Version : Coloring technique and lighting

Cousine
09-01-2010, 01:32 PM
This may seem like a noob question but i have tried searching but to no avail.

Can somebody please tell me what technique is used for coloring and lighting the images attached, and if its not too much guide me to a tutorial or resource to achieve that effect, I am trying to create a 2D illustration of the same coloring style and technique.

nozendo
09-04-2010, 02:57 AM
This is a combination of things. There's no one killer technique here - it's a combination of good artistic practices that have combined to form a picture that looks well balanced and is mostly appealing.

Break it down and consider it from the following perspectives:

- palette
- linework
- form and shade
- colour balance (warm / cool / etc)
- communication and intent
- User interface design (if you're doing game related work)
- the focal points, journey of they eye, etc
- context and meaning
- detail, level of detail (in context of focal points again)
- brushes, textures, techniques
- timeframe, level of effort!
- etc etc
- (everything on the parent forum under techniques lol)

Just some "counter examples" that could apply to this picture:

- if the character design was really, really bad, would the rendering matter?
- If the background was a futuristic cityscape, would it have the same feel?
- If the background was mostly blues, would it have the same mood?
- If it was illustrated as a clear day, would it have the same mood?
- If the lighting was poorly rendered or inconsistent, would the image be as appealing (highlights and etc)?

The characters are cartoonish with their heavy lines and simple palette, the background leverage's some little gradients, sparse linework, cooler colors etc. They have a fairly simple warm character / cool background division happening for the best part (I may be a little rough on the terms, take it with a grain of salt). Achieving this is more a conscious decision and balance of techniques, rather than something delivered via a hard process.

The risk with "tute x gives image y" is you're not building up your toolkit. Yes! You'll learn things on the way, this is great, but you really want to be able to sit back and decide on how you form your entire illustration. Also, in developing this, consider:

- The references they used
- the inspirations for the picture
- the intent and meaning of the illustration itself
- the creation of perspective and rigging the characters
- texture references
- historical references, stories, myths etc
- weapon design research
- props and settings that are aligned in terms of period etc.

Hope some of this helps!! Don't just aim to make one great picture, aim to make lots and lots of pictures and grow as an artist.

Cousine
09-04-2010, 07:20 PM
Thx this really helpful :D

rip3rs
09-09-2010, 10:47 AM
this was really helpfull
thank you :)

CGTalk Moderation
09-09-2010, 10:47 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.