PDA

View Full Version : bake textures ONLY using mental ray?

DrYo
08-31-2010, 10:57 PM
Hi,

I tried to search the forums for a pre-existing answer, but the cgsociety search engine is not working for me in either Firefox or Chrome.

All I want to do is bake diffuse color information using mental ray. I do not want to bake lighting, I want the lighting to remain dynamic.

This is easily accomplished in Maya Software using "Hypershade > Edit > Convert to File Texture (Maya Software)"

However, in "Lighting/Shading > Batch Bake (mental ray)" I am not seeing any way to bake texture only, without lighting.

I was able to work around this by assigning a Surface Shader, but I'm wondering if there's a better way.

Thanks,

Aaron

Eshta
09-02-2010, 01:28 PM
just hide all your lights So Maya will use the default light and that should be OK ..

DrYo
09-09-2010, 11:42 PM
I'm sorry, that did not work for me.

If I have no lights in the scene, and bake textures in mental ray with default lighting, then the *default lighting* is baked in. Default lighting comes from the position of the perspective camera.

Please advise,

Thanks

Aaron

epq
09-10-2010, 07:57 AM
If you use any standard maya material you could set the diffuse value to 0 and the ambient color to white. This will make your material ignore all light and just render the ambient term which now equals to the diffuse input. The atribute spreadsheet make doing this pretty fast if you have multiple
materials.

/eric

CGTalk Moderation
09-10-2010, 07:57 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.