PDA

View Full Version : how do i achieve a clean image extract?

jugalo180
09-30-2003, 03:38 AM
whenever i do an image extract in photoshop 7.0 i get this messy border around the rendered extraction. i have smooth set for 0.

Ian Jones
09-30-2003, 06:11 AM
It takes a lot of editing and tweaking. I'm talking even at the per-pixel level. You need to really work hard to get a good clean cut-out. The extract tool is only one tool in the process. You will know you are successful only when you can paste your new foreground element onto either a pure white or pure black background and not notice a seam.

jugalo180
10-01-2003, 03:30 PM
yeah, i have been going in with the magnification tool and the eraser and cleaning the images up. i noticed that if i use the magnification tool while in the extract mode plus use a very small brush size that it comes out better. i was just hoping that there was a setting that would take care of all of that within the extract mode.

thanks

Rhubarb
10-01-2003, 03:55 PM
IMO, using the extract command is a waste of time (most times).. unless there's very good contrast in the image - masking is a much faster (and more precise) procedure.

Maven
10-01-2003, 06:34 PM
I completely agree with Rhubarb. Don't rely on the "magic button" tools PS has been putting in there new versions.

PokeChop
10-02-2003, 12:40 AM
After you make your mask do a CRTL C to copy and CTRL V to paste your extraction into a new layer automatically. Then hold CTRL down and double-click the new layer with the extraction you created and do a feather to the selction with a value of 1. Then inverse the selection and hit CTRL H to hide the selection while you work, then hit delete. This will give you a nice blended edge. You can hit delete several times to subtract a little at a time until the edge looks nice and blended. Its better to have a nice flat color layer underneath to see the effect you are having when you hit delete.

jugalo180
10-02-2003, 02:25 AM
lots of good tips. i will experiment with masking. i have never done any masking before.

dg
10-02-2003, 06:10 AM
Hi,

Yeah sometimes it is a waste of time, but most of the time it saves you a lot of dirty work.
In fact I use a blend of different technics, like this:

1 - Ctrl+J (Duplicate the layer with the subject to be extracted)
2 - I put a 50% grey layer below the extracted layer to visualize the work to be done correctly.
3 - Extract (I let the extraction eat parts of the image, when needed of corse)
4 - Set the History brush to before the extraction
5 - Start to paint the missing parts (If you do a god work here you don't have to do the 6th step :)
6 - Add a mask and start to add or subtract parts of the image using the brush tool :P

I hope this helps you at least a bit :)

See ya!

kex
10-02-2003, 10:34 PM
corel made a plugin for photoshop specifically for this problem as it erase's the dodgy out line through some vector based tool .

the results look really good

the programs corel knock out 2

www.corel.com

jugalo180
10-03-2003, 04:59 PM
thanks diogo girondi and kex. those tips also will help me out in my quest. i'll check out the plugin, and i am pretty sure that the history brush technique will rock.

berniebernie
10-05-2003, 05:49 PM
if your image has some shapes (instead of small details) use the vector mask too, you can raster it anytimes and it's easily modifiable.
The Extract tool can be quite usefull for extracting fur/hair out of an image, but otherwise I dispise it too.

jbw
10-10-2003, 02:46 PM
Another way to remove the 'halo' effect you're talking about:

Make/Create selection.
Contract selection by 1 pixel
Invert selection
hit delete

I too would suggest you ignore the extract command (it's a complete waste of time) and get to know how to use the pen tool to make selections and then use the lasso tool to clean up if need be. Depending on how complex the task create your mask and use any of the paint tools (i.e. smudge for masking hair?) to finish off!

ta,
jbw

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.