PDA

View Full Version : is Academy of Arts a good school to go to

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

nofxsapunk
05-28-2002, 07:27 PM
hey i have been thinking about going to academy of arts in san francisco but i was wondering if any other schools would be a good idea, i want to work for ILM and i wanted to know if this would be the best way to go:airguitar :airguitar :airguitar

Elliotjnewman
05-28-2002, 08:35 PM
Yeah I've heard it's one of the best around, have you asked them for their catalog? if not then do so - it's full of info, examples of others work and also says they have had their students go onto work for ILM, Pixar and Dreamworks. I am currently applying to go there, it's quite a complicated procedure as I live in the UK and getting the funding for such a course is difficult. I'm actually off to talk to someone about getting out a loan for it this thursday.

Well if you decide to go I'll see you there!:scream:

Lyr
05-28-2002, 08:37 PM
Some AAC graduated eventually go on to work at ILM and Pixar. No one, except for one illustrator that I know of went straight to ILM after graduation from AAC. In answer to you question, the AAC is a great school if you apply yourself and take advantage of thier resources. If you don't, it's a waste of time and money.

Elliotjnewman
05-28-2002, 08:50 PM
Well any college or university is a waste of time and money if you dont apply yourself. Name one other uni which is comparable to the Academy. And there have been people employed at Pixar and Dreamworks from the academy.

Joel Hooks
05-28-2002, 09:15 PM
One thing to consider before attending ANY of these technical schools is accreditation.

I know many of the art institutes have/had poor accreditation so after you recieved your relatively useless certificate you were stuck at that level of education unless the school has higher level degrees.

Programs like the MS degree at Texas A&M (http://viz.tamu.edu/people/alumni.html) or other higher level programs is a good way to get in at the big name studios. AAC has an MFA program too, but I don't know first hand much about the school.

It looks like a great school. If you have the $$s to live in the bay area. I would consider a Fine Arts program myself, as the computer stuff is easy enough to learn at home, and it ****s to pay so much money for software education. Get the fine arts degree and then take courses at Gnomon or some such to learn software (if you even need to)

psumo
05-28-2002, 09:28 PM
I know a few people at Pixar that attended the academy of arts in San Francisco. They all worked on that Movie "Freeware"

Elliotjnewman
05-28-2002, 09:49 PM
You know a few people at pixar who went to AAC? thats cool. When Pixar employ people is it per feature or do they take you on permanantly? - or is that classified?? The problem I have is that I will have to pay for AAC with either a grant, a loan or hopefully I can get some sort of scholarship. My parents can't really contribute other than the odd pocket money! I may build up quite a bit of dept...

Thinking about it though I recon the BA I am applying for can be shortened down to just a couple of years due to my current knowledge, and maybe if I get an internship it will cut the costs down...

Anyone else here know about or went to the Academy? I'd be interested to hear from you...

Elliot.

SheepFactory
05-28-2002, 10:06 PM
I am going to the academy.

If that question was asked two weeks ago i would have said "do not go the 3d animation major , its a waste of money" ,

but recently our whole curriculum has been redesigned by Pixar and Disney studios , we now have a superb character animation course.

As Lyr said , if you take advantage of all the free workshops and the location Academy of arts is a really good collage (although unnecessarily expensive!)

One advice i can give is NEVER live at the dorms , you can find a bigger and cheaper studio in the city without any trouble , the dorms are horrid , i cant stress how bad they are.

A|i

Elliotjnewman
05-28-2002, 10:22 PM
Thanks sheep factory. I will be applying for the BA in computer arts. What are you going to do there? I think the main things that attracted me was its location and its collaboration with the big names, ILM, Pixar...

Thanks for the tip about the dorms - I had no idea, I still need to sort out how I will pay for it though... How are you paying for yours?

I really am getting excited about going and have been for some time now...

Leonard
05-28-2002, 10:43 PM
I think someone better add in there - just because you attended AAC doesn't mean that you'll get a job at ILM, Pixar, Disney.

Elliotjnewman
05-28-2002, 10:47 PM
Oh no I never intended anyone to think that. What I am looking for is the best institute which will offer me the greatest chance of getting into the industry. The most important part is the work I produce, not what school I go to, I know that.

Leonard
05-28-2002, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by Elliotjnewman
Oh no I never intended anyone to think that. What I am looking for is the best institute which will offer me the greatest chance of getting into the industry. The most important part is the work I produce, not what school I go to, I know that.

Okies. Just making sure you know what you're doing. Cuz San Francisco is one hell of an expensive place to live!

Leo

Elliotjnewman
05-28-2002, 11:00 PM
Yeah and I am slowely learning that! I'm not too bothered though, it's quite expensive here in england on the south coast, I am confident enough not to worry about expensis, I just want to enjoy myself produce art! - dept never killed anyone. Did it??...!!!

MrTanaka
05-28-2002, 11:46 PM
Hey ELLIOT, if u r in south England have a look at the Finishing School, if u r good enough to get in and have £4000 then u have a great chance of making it into a major studio.....i have lots of info from there as i almost went myself..Tell me if u want and i'll send it to u...

Elliotjnewman
05-28-2002, 11:49 PM
Yeah great send me it! Thanks.

SheepFactory
05-29-2002, 12:00 AM
I recommend searching the internet for rentals before you come here , once you rent the apartment you can find a roommate from the academy to share the costs.

Drop me a line if you decide to come , i'll look around and take a couple of prices for you. I live in downtown (where all the campuses are).

A|i

psumo
05-29-2002, 12:03 AM
yeah it's pricy to live here
I'm paying 1550$/month for a 1 bedroom loft in emeryville

MrTanaka
05-29-2002, 12:11 AM
No Prob...BUT WHERE???

ambassador
05-29-2002, 12:46 AM
""In answer to you question, the AAC is a great school if you apply yourself""

Yeah, I went to the academy, I was just hired on spot at school to work on a movie ( US theater film ) doing 3d conceptual design, being produced in Prague.

I commuted to school by train/Bart, 6 dollars each way, it was much cheaper than living in the city, but if your going to live in the city, its not bad if you have room mates to spread the bills.

Gilgamesh
05-29-2002, 02:57 AM
Hey, I'm going to AAC next fall in the cg art major. I'm really looking forward to it.
Are the dorms really that bad? The dorm room I am living in right now is pretty darn expensive and barely has enough room for my monitor. I think that most places would be a step up. However, if anyone needs a roomie next year, give me a buzz.

ambassador
05-29-2002, 03:07 AM
Gilgamesh

I always see "Roommates wanted" posts on the boards in the buildings, you should check those out when you go to the city.

Something else which I noticed is people living in dorms their first semesters, making friends in their first semester, and then moving out of the dorms with them to become room mates at a better location, which is a plus because they had a chance to get to know eachother....even though everyone there is pretty friendly

Gilgamesh
05-29-2002, 03:14 AM
Yeah, that's pretty much what I was planning on. With all the other cr@p you have to do, it is nice not to worry about housing quite yet.

Elliotjnewman
05-29-2002, 10:03 AM
MrTanaka click on my profile and send me an email.

Gilgamesh - hey I might take you up on that offer! I still need to sort my funding out though - as soon as I get this then I'll let you know!, have you considered living just outside the expensive areas and getting a bus into college?

Ell.

Mahlon
05-29-2002, 06:23 PM
Elliot,
But if you've never lived in San Francisco or been there, it's worth considering just for the cultural experience alone. San Francisco is quite a nice town, and northern Calif. is beautiful.:beer:

Mahlon

nofxsapunk
05-29-2002, 09:57 PM
how much does it cost per semester at AAC i am going to go there for next september, i will be coming out of highschool and i want to know if i have to take a english class while im there? or something like that

zaipha
06-06-2002, 10:01 AM
For those looking into the academy of art, just as i am. I've been encouraged to study somewhere affordable, doing your basic course work and then transfer in. That can save you thousands or tens of thousands of dollars.

I went to the Art Institute of Houston and did an Associate in Computer Animation. * also had some gen ed credits from a community college* I transfered 48 hours to AAC. That saves about a year and a half.

For those folks, just out of high school, I 'd say.. get a copy of the catalog, and take the liberal art, art, and foundation courses at a community college or otherwise affordable school and transfer in.
Some of the stuff you can take is straight forwards so you shouldnt get any suprises about the transfering.

Also, you need a portfolio to transfer out of core and art classess. So keep your sketches and projects. * you should do that anyway tho*

Good luck!

zaipha
06-06-2002, 10:03 AM
Ambassador...

What part of the city or where exactly were you commuting from?

I would love some tips on where to look for renting rooms/apartments.

THX

z

Diffused
06-14-2003, 05:41 PM
I go to Academy of Arts too. I just signed up.

Yeah, from what I see so far, AAC is superb. You have to take fundamental classes first, but they are great (since they give you a base)

I won a portfolio grant for the summer, giving me a %100 tuition for 3 classes. (Thats like.. 5 grand!) so i advice it to anyone who has a portfolio to try and submit it. I think its a bit too late now but you can try anyway! The grant is only available for the summer semester though.

Hey sheep factory.. we should meet sometime :cool:
Cya this fall Gilgamesh :beer:

Sky_DaBomB
06-14-2003, 07:40 PM
hey Diffused
I thought that you could get a full tuition scholarship if you won the portfolio grant for the summer. By the way did you attend any class in the summer time in order to get the scholarship?

Sky_DaBomB
06-14-2003, 08:06 PM
Forgot to ask you this...so are u gonna have your grant through your time attending the school or only for the first year ? Thanks

Diffused
06-14-2003, 11:29 PM
Sky_DaBomB: The scholarship offers you a free SUMMER semester. (Thats 3 classes max , 9 units) You can win a 25%, 50%, 75% or , :p , 100% tuition for those 3 classes. (That’s $5,000)

But.. its only available if you go during the summer semester.

The grant is only for that summer that i applied for. During fall, i have to take a loan. :hmm:

Hope that answers your question..

:thumbsup: Good luck

Read This:
http://www.academyart.edu/scholar/portfolio.asp?M=7

SheepFactory
06-15-2003, 12:23 AM
Academy of arts is all about getting your money so dont hope for a scholarship or anything ;)

Sky_DaBomB
06-15-2003, 06:13 PM
hey diffused
Can you get that grant more than one time or just the first summer semester you got in the school?

Diffused
06-15-2003, 09:07 PM
Its only for incoming seniors from high school. (so yeah.. for me its summer 2003) - Classes start monday

modi
06-15-2003, 10:56 PM
Hey all, i've been at the academy for more than 2 years now, just about to finish up my short film and i'll be done by August.
Just a few things bout me. Character Animation Major, Graduate student, International stundet . K, with that i'll let u guys in on a few things,
.There are no Scholarships or Financial aid from the Academy to International Students. (not that i know of, else i would be a lot richer)
. Its bloody expensive , depending on how u do , u can get ur money's worth
. Character Animation dep rocks, we've had some great instructors from ILM and Pixar for a few semesters now. Don't know how things will be now as Lisa Mullins(Awesome animation Instructor) left school as she is had a baby boy :)) congrats Lisa.
But as long as Shawn and Delio stick around (ILM guys, best instructors i've had apart from Lisa) things should go smooth.
. SF is very very expensive.
. I know 2 guys, maybe 3 who eventually landed a job at Pixar. I know 1 guy who landed a job at pixar right from school. Just to make it CLEAR, ITS NOT THAT EASY, a seat at the Academy does NOT mean a job at Pixar or ILM, its a real competetive feild.
With the above mentioned, Welcome to the Academy if u do apply.
Cheers.

Sky_DaBomB
06-16-2003, 03:33 AM
Thank you for your information. i'm sure it will help alot.
Sorry if I've been asking too many question. My bro is a highschool senior and he has the ability to do good in Art. He wants to go for Animation. I'm trying to help him out.
Do you live in dorm or outside school,Modi? Is it cheaper to live off campus like that?
Is Boston more expensive than SF,everyone?
:beer: :beer:

modi
06-16-2003, 04:43 AM
Originally posted by Sky_DaBomB
Is it cheaper to live off campus like that?

modi
06-16-2003, 04:44 AM
Is it cheaper to live off campus like that?

Its def cheaper to live off campus. On campus is a big rip off.
I live about a 10 min bart ride from school. The public transportation is really good.

Diffused
06-16-2003, 05:43 AM
Modi: you lucky #$%^&! :p

I live a 2 min walk from bart, but i have to take a 45 min bart ride to SF! grrr.. (Walnut Creek)

Nothing worse then sleeping in the morning on BART and waking up realizing you missed your station 20 min ago...

:surprised

SheepFactory
06-16-2003, 07:11 AM
The dorms are a complete ripoff , much cheaper to live in sf in a studio or something.

O live in ocean beach and pay less than the dorms :)

SheepFactory
06-16-2003, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by E=mc²
as for SF... is there too much earthquakes there ?

Aside from the occational maya box falling on my head its normal

Luddy
06-16-2003, 07:29 AM
There aren't too many earthquakes in SF. You will "maybe" feel a small one once a month at best.

I'm vurrently taking my last/final class online this semester. I lived on Post St. in a modern small studio for the past 9 months, about a 15-20 min walk to 79 and 180 for $1190/month. I recently moved to San Rafael for a few months until I find some work. The senior show reel got me a few nibbles with some reputable companies in the area. :D

modi
06-16-2003, 09:05 AM
Whoh, how many kids from the Academy here???:buttrock:

Elliotjnewman
06-16-2003, 09:12 AM
People here worried about the expense of AoAC should consider the alternative that is CalArts...

L.

Sky_DaBomB
06-16-2003, 11:54 AM
CalArt's tuition is much more expensive then Academy,man.
Is living in Boston cheaper than SF, anyone knows?

Diffused
06-16-2003, 02:23 PM
I would say Boston is cheaper. (To some degree....) Not as culturally cool as SF though. SF rocks... :airguitar

StefanDidak
06-16-2003, 04:39 PM
CalArt's tuition is much more expensive then Academy,man.
Is living in Boston cheaper than SF, anyone knows?

You can easily check the averages...

http://www.finfacts.ie/costofliving1.htm

I never knew living in Beirut would be more expensive, on average, than over here in SF... go figure :)

Nlafakis
06-19-2003, 10:12 PM
I'm going to be applying to AAC next month to start in January. I was wondering if anyone has had a problem with the school not being accredited? It seems to be an issue to some people and I'm going to be going for their masters course so that I can teach. I'm not sure if jobs are specific to accreditation as schools are.

Also...

I'd like to know if there are any demo reels that I can look at from AAC that are not on their site. I know most schools are biast like that and post their best work, so I'd like to see some examples of other AAC student work.

spakman
06-19-2003, 10:23 PM
(haven't read the thread responses- hope this isn't just a repeat of somebody else)

I used to hate academy of art. I went there in 89 for graphic design, and had to tell the teacher how to use the macintosh. Short version: I dropped out. Made my own way.

However, I've seen some hella wicked stuff come outta there of late. We just hired an animator straight outta there. Dood is solid, and that says something about the quality instructors.

That student is now an indispensible part of our team. I'd freak if he left.

Props to the faculty. You peeps are doing things right from where I sit. And I never thought I'd say that.

peace all d=^)

jeremybirn
06-19-2003, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by Elliotjnewman
People here worried about the expense of AoAC should consider the alternative that is CalArts...

Funny, I always thought of CalArts as being the competitor of ArtCenter. ArtCenter (The Art Center College of Design in Pasadena), where I got my MFA and learned Alias, and CalArts are the two top competive art schools in the LA area, and at Pixar we sortof keep count of which school has more of its graduates working here, with people usually rooting for their own alma mater.

CalArts is very different kind of place from AAC in San Francisco, you don't often hear them mentioned in the same sentence. It's like comparing apples and orangles, but since I've taught a few courses at both CalArts and AAC, I'll try to compare them here:

:lightbulb The CalArts campus is in a relatively small town, a mix of suburbs and desert about just 40 minutes north of LA. AAC is integrated in the heart of downtown SF, without even really having a "campus," just existing in various downtown buildings. You can walk to a lot of interesting things in SF, and SF has alot to offer, but you also have all the homeless people on the sidewalks outside the buildings, etc.

:lightbulb AAC is a for-profit company, accepting students without competitive admissions. CalArts is not-for-profit art school with competive admissions.

:lightbulb CalArts gives both undergraduate and graduate degrees, and has different courses for MFA students than for undergraduates. The undergrad Character Animation program teaches mostly hand-drawn animation skills. The graduate Experimental Animation department is a sort of sequel to the character animation program that opens up and lets artists work more on thesis projects and develop different styles. AAC Computer Arts Dept. gives MFA's, too, but grad students there take basically the same computer arts classes as the undergraduates. There's no reason someone completing the undergraduate program would stay and get a masters, because it would be more of a "re-run" than a "sequel."

:lightbulb CalArts doesn't put much emphasis on computer graphics, they have some computers there, but teach character animation mostly done with a pencil. A lot of the CalArts faculty is decidedly anti-computer in fact. AAC has some core traditional art classes, especially in the first year, but has a Computer Arts program where most of the work is on the computer, including for most of the character animation courses.

In the end, you are really choosing an environment where you can best work. If you'd rather be surrounded by traditional artists and former Disney animators, go to CalArts. If you'd rather go to a Computer Arts centered courses with much larger computer labs, consider AAC. Really, try to visit any school and look around, because what you are really doing is buying yourself into an environment where you can do your own work, you want to choose the location carefully.

-jeremy

Nlafakis
06-20-2003, 06:48 AM
My main problem is that I don't think that I am good enough to get into Cal Arts. I know that it is a tough school to get into, and you should probably be well off as far as traditional animation goes. Unfortunately while my 2D is a bit lacking, its still not up to par with things I would consider wothwile. On the other hand, my experience with 3D has taken me leaps and bounds above fellow classmates and given me a bigger goal to shoot for. I don't hope to get in with only 3D examples as they are not "core" examples of animation skills, but I would like whichever campus I choose to recognize that I do have the ability to bring life to my work. Question is, would a demo reel suffice for traditional art work?

Derlaine
06-20-2003, 07:05 AM
as for SF... is there too much earthquakes there ?

if you have to be in California, geologically speaking North Cali is a lot safer than south cali. North Cali is lubricated by the bay waters, so the earthquakes are frequent, but being frequent, the stress does not build up.

The last time San Andreas fault had an earthquake in South Cali was more than 100 years ago. North Cali is constantly moving, but South Cali being dry and all , is not moving much. The top is moving but the bottom is stuck, guess what is going to happen ? :P The stress is building up into "the big one" , and experts are predicting it's going to be at least an 8.

Damn i love geology class ;_;

lordmachuca
06-20-2003, 07:09 AM
im a aac student, for any of you considering attending there
first go to a community college and get ride of all your liberal arts classes which is like you general ed. i think its like up to 35 credits that you could transfer(something they dont tell you at the great aac. youll save tons of cash. if your community college doesnt have information about what classes to take, get in contact with an advisor at the aac. they'll give you a list of everything you need to know.
second of all ask around to see who the good teachers are and register for their classes.

I have about 3 semesters left there and im out and about in the real world. hopefully i could land a job before i finish.

good luck

wip here check it (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=70686)

Derlaine
06-20-2003, 07:14 AM
deleted text because i can't delete the post

lordmachuca
06-20-2003, 07:19 AM
this advice is for people that want to save money and not care about working hard at there skill,

for people that dont mind sitting behind the drawing table or a computer till 2 or 3 in the morning.

Shade01
06-20-2003, 07:24 AM
I went to AAC for two years. During my time there I got the real impression it was all about the money. I've never seen the president of any college own so many limos. I thought the foundation courses were good but the animation courses were lacking. I didn't have a computer at the time and I found extra lab time to be next to impossible to get. Anyway, I left that school because I was dissapointed with all the bs surrounding the classes. I finished up at the Art Institutes at San Francisco down the street. They were much more willing to go the extra distance to work out a payment plan that worked for me, AAC didn't make much of an effort at all. They were so good in fact, that I GOT $6,000 back!

lordmachuca
06-20-2003, 07:37 AM
i totally agree with your money comment man.

thats great that you had the balls to transfer out. i figured it'd just stick it out. the teachers that ive had lately though have been really helpful and knowledgable i think i got about half of my moneys worth. im in the 3d modeling/ games major by the way.
hows there gaming department there at the institutes.

ambassador
06-20-2003, 08:02 AM
hey shade when did you go there? hehe by the way the pres has a private jet:wip: , but then again AAC is not the only buiss she runs:wip:

Shade01
06-20-2003, 08:22 AM
Hey Ambassador, I went there awhile ago, '98 '99 I think it was. And be warned: AAC not being an acredited school becomes a problem if you transfer out! Some of my courses didn't transfer over because of that.

Judging by the thread, it seems I'm in the minority but I just didn't have a positive experience there.

Sky_DaBomB
06-20-2003, 09:19 AM
I checked the outline degree, I didnt see anything about general ed,man.

jeremybirn
06-20-2003, 06:39 PM
The idea of getting some good academic courses elsewhere is a great idea for those who are going, although I met a student at AAC who said most of his credit from another school was not accepted by them for some reason and felt really cheated about having to pay for more credits there, so check on the rules carefully.

The other thing to go elsewhere for is technical courses. Job-wise, a lot of companies want people with working Linux experience! Also, many employers give a lot of extra credit for those who know how to write scripts in the c-shell, or in Perl, Python, Tcl, etc. Getting those skills will give you a big leg up over AAC students who have only run software on the windows machines there.

Pixar seems to hire 10x as many UC Berkeley grads as AAC grads, because they get a solid computer science background. Even better are Universities with degree programs that cover things like Renderman shaders in their computer science departments, places like Ohio State and Texas A&M -
click this link (http://www.pixar.com/companyinfo/jobs/schools.html) for a list of schools that teach TD-type skills... if you're into that of course.

-jeremy

focus
06-20-2003, 09:09 PM
I am prety certain I am going to apply for AAC this fall, and I have a question to anyone who may have attended there. I'm not sure if I should take the 3d animation, or the 3d modeling major. I am highly interested in both catagories. My main question is this, how much animation stuff do you learn in the modeling major? And same for the animation major, how much modeling do you learn?

I've heard some people saying the animation department is very good. Is this for the animation major? Or the character animation major? Or both? I'm planning to go down there and check it out anyway, but I thought id ask! Thanks in advance.

jeremybirn
06-20-2003, 10:08 PM
There's just one Computer Arts department, even though there are different tracks and emphasis within it. I'd sign up for the animation if you're into that, and still expect to be able to take modeling classes. If you apply to the school, you are accepted, but starting in the 2nd year some of the character animation classes have competetive admissions, meaning you need to submit a reel and get it approved in order to take those classes. That's true no matter what focus you sign up for.

-jeremy

lordmachuca
06-20-2003, 11:09 PM
focus: im a 3d modeling major currently there at aac.
its pretty easy to learn both animation and modeling. In my opinion taking animation word probably me more limiting in that your focusing primaraly on animation were as if you were to take modeling major, you actually learn to construct models and animation as well concurently. when you take your software class(maya or max or whatever) there going to teach you animation as well as modeling, then you start getting in to specifics. if your taking animtion major, your going to go on and take character animation classes, for modeling your going to take modeling specific classes.

basically animation and modeling majors require that you take 3 classes of the specific software that you desire. these classes encompass both modeling and animation.

Nlafakis
06-21-2003, 12:18 AM
I'm planning on going to take the VFX major at AAC. I currently work in Max, but I also know Cinema 4D, and Maya. Are most courses geared toward one program or the other, or will you be able to work in what ever platform your comfortable with?

lordmachuca
06-21-2003, 12:40 AM
most of the courses are geared towards maya, but they do offer max lightwave and soft i think.
if your thinking of doing vfx you should consider houdini as your software of choice, which they do offer. Its a kick ass program geared towards particale effects and special effects crap.

Diffused
06-21-2003, 02:19 AM
Focus:

Dont worry too much. Getting a BFA in more then one study is not that big of a problem (unless you are short on funds).
Modeling and Animation majors have the same classes for the first 2 years. Then they sort of interwine a bit , and then finally they have their own classes. I suggest going into Character Animation, since you will be doing animation + rigging (And i think you can learn modeling by your own - or take a few free workshops to get you going.... or even take a few classes on it if you wish)
:shrug:

I'm having fun so far, its my first week in AAC. Going through fundamental cources. In one class, i'm the only 18 year old. EVERYONE ELSE IS 24+!!! weee mature people are fun :cool:

OK. I'll post all the CA outlines- Mods... if this is too long, feel free to delete em :rolleyes:

BFA Computer Arts-3D Modeling and Animation (Character Animation)

First Year - 30 Units
First Semester 12 Units

CA3D_101: Introduction to Computer Graphics

FND_110: Analysis of Form

LA_110: English Composition 1: Narrative Storytelling

MPT_110: Nonlinear Computer Editing 1: Final Cut Pro
Or CA3D 110 Non Linear Computer Editing 1: Avid DV Express

Second Semester 18 Units

CA3D_259: Computer Animation Production

FND_112: Figure Drawing

FND_116: Perspective

FND_125: Color & Design

FND_131: Figure Modeling

MPT_105: Photo/Storyboarding/Super 8mm Film
or CA3D 105 Photo/Storyboarding

Second Year - 36 Units

Third Semester 18 Units

CA3D_218: Visual Effects 1

CA3D_431: 3D Modeling and Animation 1 (Maya)
or CA3D 434 3D Modeling and Animation 1 (Lightwave) or CA3D 436 3D Modeling & Animation 1 (Studio Max)

FA_213: Introduction to Anatomy

ILL_221: Intermediate Figure Drawing

LA_120: Art History through the 16th Century

LA_281: History of Film 1: Pre 1940

Fourth Semester 18 Units

CA3D_491: Character Animation 1
(AA: Take CA3D 441)

ILL2D_247: Introduction to Animation

LA_121: Art History through the 19th Century

LA_202: English Composition 2: Narrative Documentary

LA_282: History of Film 2: Post 1940

MPT_130: Motion Picture Language

Third Year - 33 Units

Fifth Semester 18 Units

CA3D_375: Digital Portfolio 1

CA3D_492: Character Animation 2A

ILL_120: Clothed Figure Drawing 1
Required Art Elective 1

ILL2D_248: Introduction to Storyboarding

LA_255: College Math

LA_300: Public Speaking & Oral Communication

Sixth Semester 15 Units

***_***: Art Elective 2

CA3D_493: Character Animation 2B

LA_256: Algebra/Geometry

MPT_120: Respect for Acting
Required Art Elective 3

MPT_220: Introduction to Screenwriting

Fourth Year - 33 Units
Seventh Semester 15 Units

CA3D_383: Digital Portfolio 2

CA3D_494: Character Animation 3A

ILL2D_245: History of Animation
OR CA3D 425 History and Technology of VFX & Computer Animation

LA_124: Natural Phenomena

LA_222: 20th Century Art
Eighth Semester 18 Units

***_***: Art Elective 4

CA3D_475: Senior Collaborative

CA3D_495: Character Animation 3B

LA_126: Seminar in the Arts
(Online students take LA 237 Popular Culture)

LA_270: U.S. History

LA_462: Power of Myth & Symbol

Diffused
06-21-2003, 02:20 AM
BFA Computer Arts-3D Modeling and Animation (3D Modeling)

First Year - 30 Units
First Semester 12 Units

Second Semester 18 Units

FND_125: Color and Design

Second Year - 36 Units
Third Semester 18 Units

or CA3D 434 3D Modeling and Animation 1 (Lightwave) or CA3D 436 3D Modeling & Animation 1 (Studio Max)

FA_213: Introductory to Anatomy

Fourth Semester 18 Units

CA3D_441: 3D Modeling & Animation 2
or CA3D 491 Character Animation 1 or CA3D 444 3D Modeling & Animation 2 (Lightwave) or CA3D 446 3D Modeling & Animation 2 (Studio Max)

Third Year - 36 Units
Fifth Semester 18 Units

***_***: Art Elective

CA3D_310: Texturing & Lighting

LA_104: Compelling Communications

Sixth Semester 18 Units

CA3D_438: VFX: Environments

CA3D_461: Advanced 3D Modeling (Maya)

FASCU_130: Sculpture 1

required Art Elective 2

Fourth Year - 30 Units
Seventh Semester 18 Units

***_***: Art Elective 3

IDS_101: Form Development

IDS_121: Design Drawing 1

LA_***: LA Elective

LA_347: Business Law
Eighth Semester 12 Units

CA3D_453: 3D: Hard Surface Modeling

Diffused
06-21-2003, 02:22 AM
BFA Computer Arts-3D Modeling and Animation (Animation)

First Year - 30 Units
First Semester 12 Units

Second Semester 18 Units

Second Year - 36 Units
Third Semester 18 Units

FA_213: Introductory to Anatomy

Fourth Semester 18 Units

CA3D_441: 3D Modeling & Animation 2 (Maya)
or CA3D 491 Character Animation 1 or CA3D 444 3D Modeling & Animation 2 (Lightwave) or CA3D 446 3D Modeling & Animation 2 (Studio Max)

Third Year - 33 Units
Fifth Semester 15 Units

ILL2D_248: Introduction to Storyboarding

Sixth Semester 18 Units

***_***: Art Elective 1

CA3D_338: Character Design & Set Up

CA3D_471: Advanced 3D Animation

Fourth Year - 33 Units

CA3D_478: Advanced 3D Animation 2

ILL2D_245: History of Animation
OR CA3D 425 History and Technology of VFX & Computer Animation

Eighth Semester 15 Units

CA3D_479: Advanced 3D Animation 3

Diffused
06-21-2003, 02:24 AM
BFA Computer Arts-3D Modeling and Animation (Visual Effects)

First Year - 30 Units
First Semester 12 Units

Second Semester 18 Units

Second Year - 36 Units
Third Semester 18 Units

FA_213: Introduction to Anatomy

Fourth Semester 18 Units

CA3D_441: 3D Modeling & Animation 2

Third Year - 30 Units
Fifth Semester 15 Units

CA3D_216: VFX: Rotoscoping

MPT_230: Nonlinear Computer Editing 2: Media 100

MPT_260: Cinematography 1: Bolex Rx4-5
Sixth Semester 15 Units

***_***: Art Elective 1

CA3D_357: VFX: Light & Camera

MPT_140: Lighting 1: The Art of Seeing Light

Fourth Year - 36 Units

CA3D_318: Visual Effects 2

Eighth Semester 18 Units

CA3D_480: VFX: Particle Effects

Nlafakis
06-21-2003, 12:32 PM
I have to say that at first I was pretty confused on the school that I wanted to attend. Now after talking to you guys and making some calls and seeing information, from your links, I have entered my application to AAC. I hope to be seeing some of you soon. Thanks again.

Digiegg
07-10-2003, 11:26 PM
hmm... is it too late to apply for the fall semester? =P
I guess I'll be going to community college for a year or so and transfer... I just called them and they said all the admins were busy so they'll call me back. I'll see what classes I need to take.

jennyg
07-11-2003, 12:13 AM
Nope, not too late for this fall. Because they have an 'open admissions policy', they let people into (I think) all the programs but the Masters right up until school starts.

I'm excited - starting my Masters there in September (and going into debt to do it!):applause:

SheepFactory
07-11-2003, 12:39 AM
wow quite a people here are going to academy of arts now :)

we should all go out one day :D

bitcrusher
07-11-2003, 01:55 PM
Hey all this will come in handy for all you thinking about moving out to the bay area.

http://www.craigslist.org/

post's for rooms and aptments.....

Unled
07-11-2003, 06:53 PM
I'm going to be there for Fall Term. See you guys there!

G-Prime
07-12-2003, 01:54 AM
is Academy of Arts a good school to go to ?

http://www.undergrads.tv/stateu/index.html

Chii
07-12-2003, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by G-Prime
Public schools looks like this: http://www.undergrads.tv/central/index.html
Private schools looks like this: http://www.undergrads.tv/tekerson/index.html

LOL ! oh my gosh, this is soo true ! :ekk!:

jbo
07-12-2003, 08:09 AM
i go to aac. a couple things to look out for... there's absolutely no one around to tell you if you suck. I know people who made it through the school with good grades to find they lacked the skills to get a good job, and none of thier teachers had the balls to really tell them when they really needed work on something. Also, aac accepts anyone as long as they can afford it, so there's a lot of people there that really shouldn't be. often times teachers will have to teach to the lowest common denomenator, so you often spend time reviewing stuff that everyone should already know. there are some really good teachers there, but there are also some hacks. If you decide to go, I recommend really making the most out of the figure drawing classes. there's all sorts of free workshops that i wish i had gone to when i had the time. Oh yeah, and i also recommend getting some of those liberal arts classes out of the way at a community college before you start at aac...(when i started, they wouldn't accept transfer credits unless you got them before you started at aac... they may have changed this) there's really no sense in paying 1600 bucks for a basic math class that isn't any better than one at a community college for 40.

muckymouse
07-12-2003, 12:07 PM
Im a 2nd year student at AAC. I enjoy it. Most of all the experience of living in S.F. is what (IMO) gives me the creative edge in the end.
What could be more inspiring than watching a man tap dance next to a drug deal next to a sumersaulting buisnessman. Every posible human emotion/action is possible in S.F.

=RUnyon

SheepFactory
07-12-2003, 04:10 PM
Runyon try taking the 38 geary to veterans hospital bus for extra inspiration. Its like a circus bus :)

ps: veterans hospital is where all the bums stay.

Gilgamesh
07-12-2003, 09:20 PM
Hey, wow. Lots of AAC people here now. I figured is was about time I checked up on this thread. I'm in my 3rd semester student, leaning toward character animation emphasis.
About transfer credits: That is definately the way to go, although the maximum allowed is one year, which is like 30/33 credits (I forget which) I went to another school for 2 years, which means only half of my credits transferred. Still, if you're coming from a community college, that's still a lot cheaper.
If you are coming straight out of highschool, definatly look into the portfolio grant. You can get your first semester paid for.
I didn't read through the whole thread, so I don't know if any of this has been posted before, but the other thing that I should emphasize is to avoid the dorms! They make it pretty easy if you're moving from far away, because you can just move in, and your place to stay is taken care of. But I would highly recommend looking into an apartment as soon as you can (the early you start looking, the more likely you are to find a place that will have an opening when you come here.) The dorms are not all that great, and they are way too expensive. You have to deal with a guest curfiew, shared bathrooms, a way overpriced meal plan, etc. With a couple roommates, you can find an apartment for half the price.
Anyway, that's my rant about that.
Any of you AAC students, drop me a line! Sheep's right, we should get together some time.

andre22uk
08-03-2003, 10:25 PM
Im from the UK and looking at doing the 2yr associate of arts. I know that the course over in the states is more dependant upon one being able to have the money to pay for the course, instead of so much having ability. But ability is something than you can work on.

I think a big problem in the UK is having to have a portfolio if you were applying at a place like Bournemouth. Plus the major benefit of attending the Academy of Arts college, is its location in San Francisco, not only a great city, but also so close to where all the big moves in the industry happen.

If anyone whos attending or has attended the college would like to get in touch Id much appreciate it.

Andy, London :wavey:

d4rk
08-04-2003, 07:14 PM
I was looking at AAC's website and they say that you can apply for the Portfolio Grant if you are just graduating from Highschool OR if you are currently attending a community college. Just thought I would mention that since I didn't see that in this thread. I'm currently trying to see if I can go there myself. Though I may never be able to go there at all.

d4rk
08-12-2003, 01:12 AM
Ok I've decided to try to go to AAC. I'm trying to get ahold of their catalog, and I've emailed them several times but haven't gotten a reply yet. I want to enroll in classes at my local community college to get all the Gen Ed stuff out of the way (well up to the limit that I can transfer) to save some money. I obviously don't want to take any classes that I don't need to take. I want to make sure they will all transfer. Will I know this when I see the catalog? Or should I continue to try to email and call them. I am running out of time though as my local college classes are filling up. School starts in another week!

I requested their catalong and it said it would get here in 3-5 days but if that really means 7-10 days I won't get it in time.

To anyone that has transfered Gen Ed credits into AoAC can you help me make sense of this?

Two courses in English composition - one class should require research, footnotes and a bibliography. The second class should require narrative storytelling skills - creative writing.
Oral Communication - a class in which the student has done public speaking.
College Algebra
Ancient Art History - art history through the 16th century.
US History - from the Industrial Revolution to the present day.
General Psychology - a survey course of the science of Psychology.
Critical Thinking/Philosophical Concepts
Beginning French or Italian
Cultural Anthropology
Music Appreciation
Intro to the Computer - desktop navigation - Macintosh or PC operating system depending on major.

Is it that straight forward or are there more specific requirments. I don't want to apply and have them deny an english 1A class because it wasn't exactly what they had in mind or a creative writing class because it wasn't exactly "dead on" with their class at AAC.

Unled
08-12-2003, 02:36 AM
I'm taking the certificate program, which basically does away with all the gen ed stuff and lets me focus on the stuff I want to learn.

Elliotjnewman
08-13-2003, 09:22 AM
I know a few people that used to teach there - they have had some top pro's there. Most of the Maya user book authors have previously tought there!

So the contacts you get there alone are quite amazing.

Although its very expensive, and I heard that the president comes in on a helicopter every day!!

awnold
08-14-2003, 06:54 AM
Yes, its a good school. It really comes down to the professor/s you study under. There are some very very good ones there if you know where to look.

-Matt

d4rk
08-14-2003, 07:46 AM
Well I figured out what classes to take at my local community college There are a few that I have to get more info on such as:

Ancient Art History - art history through the 16th century.
US History - from the Industrial Revolution to the present day.

But I'm on my way now, class begin this next monday!

ajouvenat
08-14-2003, 11:17 AM
Time is winding down for my first semester up there!!! less than 2 more weeks :eek: :wip:

ambassador
08-14-2003, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by ajouvenat
Time is winding down for my first semester up there!!! less than 2 more weeks :eek: :wip:

haha, damn I lose track of time, I always end up getting classes a week before the semester starts:wip: I better go sign up tommarow:shrug:

SheepFactory
08-14-2003, 08:25 PM
less than 2 weeks? no

classes start september 6 or something

we have almost 3 weeks :)

Ray , you went MIA again man , drop me a line sometime.

ajouvenat
08-16-2003, 03:41 AM
Originally posted by Sheep Factory
less than 2 weeks? no

classes start september 6 or something

we have almost 3 weeks :)

Well check in for newbs like me is on august 25th-27th.

I am very nervous because I really don't have any impressive drawing skills (even though my focus is 3d). And from the coments above I certainly hope I don't get poked fun at or shunned when I get there.

SheepFactory
08-16-2003, 03:47 AM
oh man you are screwed! ,

if your drawing skills are bad you have to pose naked for other students to draw , its the school policy.

you cant believe how fast people improve!

ajouvenat
08-16-2003, 04:47 AM
HAHAHA

I think i just got better already!

Dragot
08-16-2003, 05:37 AM
This is awsome finding these posts because im starting school at the ACADEMY OF ART in san fran in Augest well at least i check into the dorm on the 27th i don't know yet when the classes start.
Im sure i will meet alot of you who go there but not know it hahaha. I have been teaching myself modeling for a year now,

it just gets me soooo excited

dsepshn
08-22-2003, 07:48 PM
Hey everyone
I just caught this tread. I really don't post much, because I too go to AAC and don't have a lot of time to spare. Anyway, just like any school it is up to you to make it. I know AAC will let you dog in if it has the money, but I am super thankful for that. If it did not have that "money grubbing" policy, I would still be fixing cars in Oklahoma.
Anyway, there has been a lot of talk about the classes here and nobody has mentioned the best classes for Character Animators, those being the Pixar classes. I believe Jeremy Birn started to seek of it. You would usually take your basic animation courses first then submit a reel to get into the classes. They are taught by Pixar animators that currently work and animate at Pixar.

Pixar classes break down goes like this...

Pixar 1... Focuses on your basics, and mechanics. The 12 principles, ect... they really are not interested in story at this point (but if you can make your exercises more interesting, it's a plus). They just want believable movement. And these guys are sticklers. Awesome critiques!!!!

Pixar 2... Begins to focus on acting, and individuality of characters. Every character is different, so they all do things in different ways. And it goes into monologue test, a two person dialogue, to practice interaction between two characters.

Pixar 3... Story, tie it all together with story. It focuses on the elements of story.

As for me I have only taken the first one, and I learned sooooo much!!! In fact I learned so much in just one class that I really couldn't apply it in the current assignment. I had to apply it to the next. That is why on my site there are two animations that are still in progress because I am tiring to apply everything into it. If you go to the academy, and you are an animator, I would most defiantly take these classes...

P.S. Jeremy’s class is pretty awesome too. I knew nothing about lighting at all. Check out my assignments on my website in the artwork section under cg lighting. They are not perfect, but I didn't even know you should put more than 1 light in a scene when I started.

dsepshn
08-22-2003, 08:00 PM
And one more piece of advice. Take your time and try not to skip around the classes. Try to time it where you can take all the Maya classes and pixar classes. I have a few friends that are in such a hurry that they miss out on taking all the animation courses. A lot of the kids in my pixar 1 class graduated. Reason being is because instead of taking one core animation class a semester, they would fill up the credits with vfx classes, modeling ect... I would say, get a list of what you need to take and sit down and you plot out your own way of going threw it so u don't miss out on any class. Apply for the pixar class after maya 2, just incase u don't get in u can take Maya 3, then try again.
Wes

ambassador
08-22-2003, 10:23 PM
l

whats MIA?:shrug: hehe,

how did you like siggraph, to bad we didnt run into eachother, im sure you had to have seen one of the 9 of us from school around there. Did you see the academy booth, so sad, huh. I signed up for classes and had to move to maya 2 because they dont have any more lightwave classes beyond LW 1 yet:wip:

ajouvenat
08-23-2003, 09:09 AM
Well it's only 2 more days until I move off to AAC. I am really nervous about it for the reason I stated above, hehehe.

Anyways I look forward to it no matter what and I look forward to meeting you people up there :)

-Aaron

The Gunslinger
08-23-2003, 02:10 PM
I'm planning on going to Academy of Arts in Fall of 2004... I'm actually kind of freaked out about it, now. I went to a university for 2 terms, but it sucked and didn't work out for me at all and I hated their 99.98% focus on sports and .01% focus on students and .01% focus on miscellaneous. So I'm going to a Community College for the next year, having had finished my first year off there. I talked to an advisor on the phone and he was right up front with me telling me (or, rather my mom actually :blush: ) that it would be cheaper to start out at a community college. So I'm taking the minimum credits that I need most of the time since I'll be over the max that I can transfer anyway (which I thought they said was 64 and you need 128..). I was considering living in the dorms down there, but I guess I'm hearing a lot of really really horrible things about them :shrug: I was really hoping to go through the dorms and get a single room and not have a roommate. The only reason is that I'm quite paranoid and neurotic and I don't know how that would work out with other roomies. Plus I wasn't too sure about space restrictions... or cost. What would some of you from the San Francisco area say is a good rent to pay considering a minimum of room mates? By that I mean perhaps having your own room or something.

Anyway, it's 6:16 am and I'm expecting a call around noon, so I better be getting to bed. I'm hoping to hear from someone soon regarding a good rent rate ;) (I did look at craigslist, I just want to know what would be a reasonable rate since I also don't want something with an infestation.)

ajouvenat
08-25-2003, 03:04 AM
Well it's time now! i am almost done packing my junk. All I have left is my clothes that I am washing and my computer. Are the dorms big enough to fit an entire work station in? I have a 3 in one printer, 2 comp towers, one monitor and some small network equip and speakers. I also have a foot locker, suitcase and a few small boxes. I just hope it will all fit when I am done unpacking.

One thing I am really pissed about is that they don't provide internet in the dorm rooms. For close to $6000 a semester I think they could work it in. So now I have to buy cheap phone service which I will not use (I have a cell phone) and get adsl at around $50 a month.

I am really anxious about starting my computer related classes, and I have a giant fear of the traditional art ones as always.

I'd like to hook up with you guys and go hang out or do something *cough* lan party *cough* *cough* or go harass the presdident with questions on why the rooming is so freakin expensive when it includes only a bed, desk and utilities.

I'll get my money worth by running both of my computers 24/7

SheepFactory
08-25-2003, 03:09 AM
Thats why you DONT live at the dorms.

Sorry bud but you are being screwed bigtime ,

find a roommate from www.craigslist.com and move to an apartment in the city , do NOT go to the academy dorms.

ajouvenat
08-25-2003, 04:14 AM
Well the forms I read stated it was mandatory for all freshman to live in the dorm, that's the only reason why I am there, and plus I have no job yet! But once this year is up and I have a part time job, I'll hook up with some fellow AAC students about movin the hell out.

I'm going to try to look for work maybe after a month or two of school to see if I'll have time.

BTW sheep, do you know how big (or small) are the two person dorm rooms are in the 1105 pine st building?

Luddy
08-25-2003, 06:08 AM
Well the forms I read stated it was mandatory for all freshman to live in the dorm, that's the only reason why I am there.

That doesn't seem right. I'd move to an apartment and attend SF city college for a year (transfer in some LA classes).

focus
08-25-2003, 10:44 AM
Well i'm starting in september as well, maybe i'll see some of you there:) ajouvenat: I'm sure no one will make comments about your traditional skills... I to am not so great at drawing, but its only because I don't practice much.

I'm sure going through the traditional classes will give a lot of improvement in that area. That's one of the main reasons I picked AAC, because they don't just throw you into computer classes. Anyway, hope to see some of ya there:)

SheepFactory
08-25-2003, 03:03 PM
BTW sheep, do you know how big (or small) are the two person dorm rooms are in the 1105 pine st building?

Very small.

the mandatory dorms thing is BS , you can easily say i have a relative friend living in the city and i am going to live with him , etc.

Dont let AAC fork your money , they are VERY good at doing that.

fabionguzman
08-26-2003, 07:00 AM
I'm going in the spring...but i want to find a place or a room for rent. i'm having a hard time finding a good room

Dragot
08-28-2003, 12:33 PM
i odn't know what you guys are talking baout the dorms being expensive well for me anyway if i had decided to go to SU the dorms owuld have cost 10,000 a semester but hear at AAC it's only 6'000 to 8'000 for me.

plus you shouldn't choose a schoole just because you think the dorms are inexpencive but for the quality of the classes.
and AAC is one of the best in the country!

I just moved into 1055 pine and i started having a blast the first day!!! it's seems there is never a dull moment.
I would love to meet some of you who have done great human texturing and modeling jobs i have been teching myself MAYA for 2 years now so i know im getting the modeling down great now..
now i just need to finish something haha. Im really into photorealism and HyperRealism because i wan't to make movies like
FinalFantasy and the Animatrixes FinalFlight of Osiris
MinorityReport and so forth but im having trouble getting the textururing and lighting down

ps. I just found that HELLA COOL is a big thing hear hahaha.

Unled
08-29-2003, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by fabionguzman
I'm going in the spring...but i want to find a place or a room for rent. i'm having a hard time finding a good room

I came down here from Oregon with a good friend, we're both studying 3d graphics and he's living in the housing while I'm living with my Dad in Mill Valley (just north of SF) But we're looking to get a place in the city with another guy or two and Spring would probably be the time. So get ahold of me and maybe we can work something out.

Rye
08-29-2003, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by Dragot
ps. I just found that HELLA COOL is a big thing hear hahaha.

ah good ol' norcal...goodtimes

ajouvenat
08-31-2003, 05:09 AM
Well am at AAC now, I have been since Tuesday. There are allot of friendly people here and my roommate is cool. The housing is a jip to the tenth power. Well school starts next thursday, so hopefully I'll see some of you then :)

Unled
08-31-2003, 07:05 AM
Well the forms I read stated it was mandatory for all freshman to live in the dorm, that's the only reason why I am there, and plus I have no job yet! But once this year is up and I have a part time job, I'll hook up with some fellow AAC students about movin the hell out.

I'm going to try to look for work maybe after a month or two of school to see if I'll have time.

It might be an under 18 type of thing. I had no problems living with my dad who conveniently lives down here.

Looking forward to my first day of class come thursday. I'm anxious to get my nose to the grind stone.

Digiegg
08-31-2003, 08:03 PM
Dang.. sounds so cool!!!
I'm going to apply for next fall semester. =)
I'm going to need help getting around and stuff.
I'm curious about the race ratio?
Not being racist or anything...
I'm Korean and been hanging with alot of asians here in Virginia but I want to make a change and hang out with different races for once. I heard there are a lot of asians there in SanFransico. hmm?

SheepFactory
08-31-2003, 08:24 PM
yeah there are more asians in AAC than in university of china probably :P

SheepFactory
08-31-2003, 08:24 PM
How many of you new students are 21 and over by the way?

Digiegg
08-31-2003, 08:28 PM
yeah there are more asians in AAC than in university of china probably :P

oh man.. that sucks... hahaha
damn asians =P

fabionguzman
09-01-2003, 10:30 AM
i'm over 21, and unled e-mail me a litle info about what type of place your looking for and any other info...i'm going up there i a month or two so i can look for something..maybe we could hook up and find something

Dragot
09-02-2003, 09:22 PM
I just got back from some stupid oriantasion thing.
What did you guys think of it?

Charlie Hustle
09-03-2003, 08:36 AM
lots of good info in here..

Digiegg
09-03-2003, 11:22 PM
I have a question also.

For the portfolio for AAC's Computer Art major, what do I need?
I never found out what kind of stuff that I need to show them to get in the Computer Art department. Last time I tried to apply for SVA (School of Visual Arts in NYC), I sent them mostly all my fine art stuff. They said I wasn't to be in the CG department and should try out for Graphics Design. So I just quit and now attending a community college.

Someone please tell me what kind of things I need to show them in the portfolio in order for me to get in the Computer Art department?
Thanks!

SheepFactory
09-03-2003, 11:26 PM
you dont need a portfolio for AAC , they have open admissions policy.

Digiegg
09-03-2003, 11:49 PM
what the ... so you are saying I don't need to send them ANY of my work to get in? This means ANYONE can get in????
How about GRADES???

Also I'm going to be transferring from a Community College to AAC, so I have check "Transfer Student" On the AAC application right? Or do I check BFA?

BAH!! *editing 3rd time*
What academic courses do you need to take during 3D Computer Art in AAC?
Admin gave me a list so I'm taking:

Intro to Psychology I
US History I
Music Appreciation I
Intro to Philosophy I

I was wondering if all that was really required. I'm taking these classes in my community college right now so I can transfer them when I'm there. Are they really needed? I'm a fresh at the community college by the way.

Luddy
09-04-2003, 04:35 AM
Here are a couple tips I can give as a recent graduate from the AAC.

1. If you are light on money, attend a city college for a year and a half and transfer in Liberal Art classes. There's no reason to pay the school $1,600 per class when you can pay $30 per class at a city college. Apply for all the scholarships and grants you can.

2. Don't live in the dorms if possible. Search craigslist for apartment listings.

3. Register early the previous semester so you aren't stuck with 8:30am classes. I prefered 7pm night classes.

4. The labs fill up quick during the last few weeks of a semester. If you don't have your 3D app on your personal PC, try the 8th floor and 3rd floor classrooms for more PC's.

5. Always carry your ID badge. The security guards will pat you down to make sure you aren't stealing anything.

6. Attend all the seminars, lectures, demos you can; these are always free to AAC students.

7. Your most important classes are figure drawing and color and design.

8. Work your butt off.

Luddy
09-04-2003, 04:40 AM
Oh and...

9. Use the stairs if you are going up to the 3rd floor.

Gilgamesh
09-04-2003, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by Luddy
Oh and...

9. Use the stairs if you are going up to the 3rd floor.

hehe. Good advice.

Those are some good pointers.

If you can get Gen Ed taken care of at your community college, definately do it. You can transfer like 33 credits or something, so you might as well have at least that many, because gen ed credits usually have nothing to do with your major.

Anyone can get in, but quite a few people drop out quickly, too. Just because it's art doesn't mean it's easy.

New and Current Students! Come to a bonfire on Saturday at northbeach around 9:30!

Digiegg
09-04-2003, 09:29 AM
where can I get the list of general ed stuff?

westmeadow
09-04-2003, 11:38 AM
Might aswell shoot a random question here:

What does it take for a UK Student to get into AAC (In terms of GCSE's, A-levels, a foundation diploma in art and design etc)?

Thanks, Assie

jeremybirn
09-04-2003, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Luddy
I prefered 7pm night classes.

That's a good one, and you get different teachers then, too. There are some teachers there who work as full-time teachers, others there who actually have a job in the industry and drive in after work once a week to teach a 7-10 class, or do a Saturday afternoon class. Of course there's nothing wrong with taking classes from a full-time teacher, but if you want to learn from someone getting more recent industry experience the night and weekend graphics classes are a better bet overall.

-jeremy

Gilgamesh
09-04-2003, 08:28 PM
NissanSexima : Call the school and ask for a information packet.

Assie : I don't really know the answer to your question, but I assume that it isn't that big a deal. Like Sheep said, it's an open admissions policy, so unless you did really terrible in your previous schools, I think you can get in. You could also call and ask to be certain, though.

Pixelmaestro
09-04-2003, 10:31 PM
I found this on a job posting board and found it amusing and disconcerting at the same time. A school should not be looking for instructors on such short notice. Sounds like a teacher(s) left abruptly or they overenrolled for the next few quarters.

I would have thought that a former graduate could possibly teach the class.

"The Academy of Art College Animation Computer Arts department is seeking professional MAYA 3D animators and modelers, trained in traditional arts, ASAP for the Fall and Spring semesters.
We have two more slots open for instructors to teach classes beginning tomorrow.
Syllabus is ready; you just need to know the medium and love to teach.
In your response indicate [Maya Instructor] in subject line."

SheepFactory
09-04-2003, 10:48 PM
I second jeremy birn , and have to say :

DO NOT GET 3D CLASSES FROM FULL TIME INSTRUCTORS UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE.

You'll thank me later.

Luddy
09-04-2003, 11:32 PM
Off the top of my head over the past two years, 8 of my instructors either currently worked at a major studio or were taking a break from the industry from a studio to gain teaching experience and some clout. I had 2 OK instructors and 1 bad instructor who left mid semester for a job elseware. I don't recommend taking important 3D classes over the summer. Take your LA classes then. :D

Digiegg
09-04-2003, 11:36 PM
seems like there are alot of negative stuff about teachers.. hmm
Anyways, I checked the book(Catalog and stuff) but nothing about General Education... Doesn't say what's require and what's not... on and on...

jeremybirn
09-05-2003, 05:26 AM
Originally posted by Pixelmaestro
I found this on a job posting board and found it amusing and disconcerting at the same time. A school should not be looking for instructors on such short notice. Sounds like a teacher(s) left abruptly or they overenrolled for the next few quarters.

They always do that - the faculty rosters seem to be penciled in with a series of frantic phone calls the week before classes start.

The ad is funny not just from short notice, but from saying "Syllabus is ready; you just need to know the medium and love to teach." Lets see, they already have a brief handout outlining what's to be covered, written by the last teacher - but you need enough material and demos and hand-outs and assignments and presentations to fill 15 class meetings of 3 hour classes - it takes a lot of preparation to work out one 3 hour lecture, 15 is a major undertaking. No matter how much you have prepared, you have to live in fear of running out of material when you have to go for 3 hours each Saturday. The reality is that teaching those courses is a lot of hard work, and instructors need to do a lot of homework to prepare themselves, it's not something you can do off the cuff.

The first few weeks are sometimes especially chaotic because the students have learned to bail on the classes that have teachers they don't like, and try to add into the classes that seem to have better instructors, so there's a lot of adding and dropping going on after the faculty have shown up and started.

-jeremy

Pixelmaestro
09-05-2003, 05:49 PM
So this is the normal course of operation for the school. They should learn from there mistakes. Filling the faculty roster days in advance of classes is unprofessional and a disservice to the students who enrolled in the program. It may be that some of the best instructors are not full time instructors, but there should be an internal program that brings instructors up to speed. As you know it takes a great deal of prep work to teach, and my guess is that they only pay for your time teaching on-site at the school.

If this school is your first choice, you have not completed your homework on academic institutions.

-----------------------------

"They always do that - the faculty rosters seem to be penciled in with a series of frantic phone calls the week before classes start.

The ad is funny not just from short notice, but from saying "Syllabus is ready; you just need to know the medium and love to teach." Lets see, they already have a brief handout outlining what's to be covered, written by the last teacher - but you need enough material and demos and hand-outs and assignments and presentations to fill 15 class meetings of 3 hour classes - it takes a lot of preparation to work out one 3 hour lecture, 15 is a major undertaking. No matter how much you have prepared, you have to live in fear of running out of material when you have to go for 3 hours each Saturday. The reality is that teaching those courses is a lot of hard work, and instructors need to do a lot of homework to prepare themselves, it's not something you can do off the cuff.

The first few weeks are sometimes especially chaotic because the students have learned to bail on the classes that have teachers they don't like, and try to add into the classes that seem to have better instructors, so there's a lot of adding and dropping going on after the faculty have shown up and started.

-jeremy

awnold
09-15-2003, 08:09 PM
I disagree with the last thread. There are good things about this school as well as the bad. (adding teachers days before the class starts, professors dropping out mid class, high turn over rate of all faculty are the worst.)

The best thing that they have going for them and its not to be overlooked, this is one of the few programs in the world where your professors (like Jeremy) are CURRENTY working in top 3d houses. This is just amazing as far as I am concerned. When I was there my professors were currently working at or had worked at the company within the last half of a year, companies like ILM, Pixar and Wildbrain.

This is just my opinion, but in an industry that is moving so quickly other schools that are not situated in this immediate area and don’t have access to these types of people are at a significant disadvantage. I am not talking about grounding in traditional life drawing and animation, building up a foundation that way, I am guessing there are many schools that are very very good at this. The academy can be good at (if you get the right professors) to teach you the very complex and ever changing art of computer generated imagery for film probably better than many other choices because of their access to these types of professors.

d4rk
09-15-2003, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by NissanSexima
where can I get the list of general ed stuff?

Their Web Site. (http://www.academyart.edu/admis/transfer.asp?M=3) I also got this info when I requested a catalog online and asked about transfer credits:

Transfer of Credits
A maximum of sixty-six transfer units may be applied toward BFA degree programs. All BFA candidates must satisfactorily complete the last sixty-six units of credit at the Academy. Classes must be completed with a passing grade of C or higher to be considered for transfer. A maximum of thirty units may be transferred toward the forty-two required Liberal Arts units. In order to transfer credits toward a major, a student must have a portfolio review with their Department Director within the first term at the college.

I'm currently thinking pretty seriously about going there and I'm taking my General Ed/Liberal Arts classes at my local community college. I was able to match up classes pretty well. I'm going to call them before next semester to make sure I'm on the right track. I hear that you do not need to take any GE/LA classes if you do not want a degree, but for me I really do want a degree so I'm working on that right now. Plus my Job will reimburse me for the tuition if i'm working for a degree (but not when I transfer to AAC sadly, since I'll have to move and quit my job). I'm planning on transfering as much as I possibly can to save money.

Digiegg
09-15-2003, 10:26 PM
How is the life down there?
I'm going to be attending for sure next fall semester so I want to know how it's like.
How are the parties? People? Professors? Environment? Clubs? Bars? All the entertainment stuff?

SheepFactory
09-15-2003, 11:14 PM
you have 2 more years before you can get in a club \ bar why worry? :D

Oh and they are great :D

Unled
09-16-2003, 03:19 AM
How is the life down there?
I'm going to be attending for sure next fall semester so I want to know how it's like.
How are the parties? People? Professors? Environment? Clubs? Bars? All the entertainment stuff?

Well i've been down here about a month now. Just started fall semester and I'm stoked.
I haven't been to any parties, but the people here are very friendly, the students all more or less have something in common or similar interests so it's pretty easy to make friends. All my teachers are pretty cool and competent.
I can't tell you about the clubs because i'm far too broke to go to one, but the bars are pretty nice, but i haven't bar hopped much because, well i'm broke.
However, musically this place rules. Radiohead is coming, I'm gearing up to see Isis and Mogwai soon, and Queens Of The Stonage and Primus are coming in October. There's plenty of hip hop if you're into that thing. And lots of movie festivals.

In short, I love it here, and between school and the city, it's probably the best decision i've made in my life.

Digiegg
09-16-2003, 04:25 AM
Originally posted by Unled
Well i've been down here about a month now. Just started fall semester and I'm stoked.
I haven't been to any parties, but the people here are very friendly, the students all more or less have something in common or similar interests so it's pretty easy to make friends. All my teachers are pretty cool and competent.
I can't tell you about the clubs because i'm far too broke to go to one, but the bars are pretty nice, but i haven't bar hopped much because, well i'm broke.
However, musically this place rules. Radiohead is coming, I'm gearing up to see Isis and Mogwai soon, and Queens Of The Stonage and Primus are coming in October. There's plenty of hip hop if you're into that thing. And lots of movie festivals.

In short, I love it here, and between school and the city, it's probably the best decision i've made in my life.

MAN! you hype me up! and I hate sheep factory for ruining my hype! :p hehe I'm just kiddin. If I go down there you know, you can slip me a few drinks right Sheep? :cool: hehe.
Yea... It really sucks living here in Virginia where all the political stuff happen... nothing interesting goes down here... Can't wait till I go down. Who's going to be a freshman in this college next fall semester?!?! =) Better start making friends now.

Unled
09-16-2003, 06:09 AM
Yea, and a word of advice, start saving money NOW! seriously. This is an expensive city. If you want to actually go see concerts, movies, and go to bars, you're going to need lots of spending money.

Oh and there's a huge amount of really cool stores and shops to buy stuff from. Especially down on Haight st. I walk around and get sad I don't have any money to spend.

Gilgamesh
09-16-2003, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by Unled
I walk around and get sad I don't have any money to spend.

Hehe, I feel ya.

keithv
09-19-2003, 06:33 AM
I am going to the academy.

If that question was asked two weeks ago i would have said "do not go the 3d animation major , its a waste of money" ,

but recently our whole curriculum has been redesigned by Pixar and Disney studios , we now have a superb character animation course.

As Lyr said , if you take advantage of all the free workshops and the location Academy of arts is a really good collage (although unnecessarily expensive!)

One advice i can give is NEVER live at the dorms , you can find a bigger and cheaper studio in the city without any trouble , the dorms are horrid , i cant stress how bad they are.

A|i

i am fixin to start the academy in tampa and i was wondering if its like the same criteria as the school over there

SheepFactory
09-19-2003, 06:49 AM
I dont think academy of art has another branch. Probably just a name similarity with another college

keithv
09-19-2003, 06:51 AM
it has the same logo and classes check it out
http://www.academy.edu/

SheepFactory
09-19-2003, 06:59 AM
no thats the international academy of design , different school.

Gilgamesh
09-19-2003, 09:44 AM
the logo is disturbingly similar.

andre22uk
10-01-2003, 08:39 PM
Hey guys,

Firstly thanks for all the great advice you guys have posted up there. :thumbsup: Im from the UK and hoping to get out there for Jan next year to do the BFA in Computer Animation. I already have a degree (BA) so I can do it in two years dropping the liberal arts classes. I just wondered if any of you guys know how much I should try and budget for living expenses over in San Francisco? Ive been told roughly $12,000 for a year, wondered how close you guys have been finding it to that. And which places are best to live in out of the student accomodation. Ive already got the catalog and looking at the appartment style accomodation. If anyone whos already studying out there would like to get in touch, that would be great.

Cheers guys, :beer:

Andy UK

andres@blueyonder.co.uk:hmm:

awnold
10-01-2003, 09:19 PM
For anyone who is currently attending, or just graduated...
There is a great resource avaliable now that was not avaliable when I was a student. The career center now posts around five new internships/part time work listings a day. I wish I could have taken advantage of this because experience is just as important as a good reel... Take advantage of this, get some experience.

They are really doing a good job over at the career center as far as I am concerned.

http://www.academyart.edu/careers/index.asp?M=4

'search job listings'

=)
Matt

Scandell
10-01-2003, 09:26 PM
It doesnt matter WHAT college you go to. The professors will NEVER know "enough", the tuition will AlWAYS be "too expensive".
It's hard for these schools to get good teachers. ("Why?" you ask...)

Because there is SO MUCH MONEY to be made working in the industry. The people that take the teaching jobs are never the industries "finest".

Most of the time, they are the people that couldnt keep up.
:annoyed:

What really matters is your WORK, your personal production schedule, the quality and quanitity of your work. The care for detail you put into your artwork is so important.

I graduated from a "nowhere university" in Utah...LAST SPRING.

Now I am at Sony Imageworks...doing character Setup.

No, i didnt have ANY inside connections. 50% of it was dumb luck, and 50% of it was my demo reel. When the other students where making balls bounce...I was rigging semi-advanced characters. You have to PUSH YOURSELF and BE THE BEST you can be.

It took alot of work and a hell of alot of time...but it paid off for me.

I hope you dont think i am bragging, Im not.

:blush:

Im just trying to help. I saw so many people that could "talk the talk" but they couldnt walk the walk. Dont just say "I want to be an animator". BE ONE! I have seen an animated cube become the most personable, charismatic cube in the world!

Dont let the tools slow down your creativity.

CHEERS!

awnold
10-01-2003, 11:28 PM
"It doesn’t matter WHAT college you go to."
Wrong- for obvious reasons

The professors will NEVER know "enough",
Wrong- they have professors there that currently work at studios such as Pixar, Wildbrain... I am sure there are more companies now.

the tuition will AlWAYS be "too expensive".
-matters what you are comparing it to.

It's hard for these schools to get good teachers. ("Why?" you ask...)"Because there is SO MUCH MONEY to be made working in the industry. The people that take the teaching jobs are never the industries "finest".
-Wrong, tell that to Jermy Birn and others on this message board that work at good studios.

cant comment on the rest... seems like a good success story. Congratz. =)

SheepFactory
10-01-2003, 11:47 PM
Yeah ,

Most of our instructors are working in the field right now and doing the teaching part time.

d4rk
10-08-2003, 09:13 PM
Does anyone else get the AAC newsletter? It has a list inside of students that graduated recently and went to work for big studios. Pretty big list, several pixars and Dreamworks on there too. Just thought that was interesting...

(I do recognize that it means that the student not the school is exceptional)

andre22uk
10-31-2003, 11:13 PM
Hey all,

Im from London, England and Ive been accepted to begin at the Academy of Arts in Jan 2004. I would really like to know if any one is already out there and knows about all the different housing options. I know there are dorms and appartments, but would like to know if you can have your own room but share an appartment, and also which of the appartments are the nicest. If anyone could get back to my Id really appreciate it,

cheers Andy

Morganism
11-01-2003, 01:33 AM
If you want the best housing options, you should look for your own place, not affiliated with the school. It's hard to shop for housing from the other side of the world, but you'll end up with a better (and cheaper) place. If you get a couple roommates together, you can actually find housing for like 500 a month per person, but usually you will end up paying more than that.
If you qualify for the school apartments, though, they are much nicer than the dorms. However, I haven't lived in one, so I can't really say anything else about it. Just don't live in the dorms.

SheepFactory
11-01-2003, 01:50 AM
andre sorry for not writing back sooner man ,

check out this link:

www.craigslist.org

here you'll find all kinds of roommate wanted posts its real easy to find a roommate to share an apartment.

do NOT go to school housing , if they tell you you have to tell them you have a relative in the city and dont go.

when you come here drop me a line and i'll show you around and help you find a place.

cheers ,

Ali

Matt
11-01-2003, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by Leonard
I think someone better add in there - just because you attended AAC doesn't mean that you'll get a job at ILM, Pixar, Disney.

Yeah but my old high school friend's brother went there, and he's a total moron. His name is in the credits of a few films already. I can't remember, but they were one of the BIG companies. (Dreamworks, Pixar, ILM.)

He's a total idiot, but he made it. He was using Maya when it first came out in 1998, and would never shut up about Maya and how well it ran on NT, but not well on Win95.

Digiegg
11-02-2003, 04:24 PM
SO~~ Who is apply for Fall Semester next year as a fresh!!!?
I'm going to be there!!!! Anyone wanna room with me at a studio? Studios are cheaper and better there in San Fran right?

]_onewolf
11-03-2003, 02:56 AM
Hey guys

Ive been reading the entire thread, and i think im getting sucked in! :rolleyes: Im from Sydney Australia, so Im not quite sure how Im gonna go about this. But hopefully, i might be coming over for 2004 too.:beer:

danteort
11-05-2003, 01:56 AM
SO~~ Who is apply for Fall Semester next year as a fresh!!!?
I'm going to be there!!!! Anyone wanna room with me at a studio? Studios are cheaper and better there in San Fran right?
I'm most likely going to be going in Fall 2004, unless I can't get the money together.

Strictly speaking I'll be a freshman, but I've been through five years of school already, plus I'm taking some art classes this year to try and get out of some of the foundation classes. My goal is to at least get out of the beginning drawing and figure drawing classes, get placed in at least intermediate or possibly advanced figure drawing. I love figure drawing, but I'd like to not start all over with the basics.

So I'll be searching for apartments/studios in town when the school year draws closer.

Digiegg
11-05-2003, 06:27 PM
that's cool man. I'm currently at a community college, just for a year then moving to San Francisco...
I heard there are alot of homosexuals there... at least that's what my friends say. I really don't mind but is it true?

SheepFactory
11-05-2003, 06:42 PM
that's cool man. I'm currently at a community college, just for a year then moving to San Francisco...
I heard there are alot of homosexuals there... at least that's what my friends say. I really don't mind but is it true?

DUH!

its san francisco , search google for castro district.

foilepee
11-06-2003, 09:37 PM
I’m a recent Academy graduate (3D modeling), and I just wanted say that I enjoyed my time there.

About transferring units… I went to a state school for 2 years first, and found that many of my units did not transfer. The reason for this was because the academy had different general education requirements from many schools. For example, the chemistry classes that I took at state as required classes were not required at academy, so they didn’t transfer. It makes sense though because many of their liberal arts classes are geared towards art.

Advisors… When you sign up for the academy you will get an advisor that you have to meet with before you sign up for classes each time. I loved this! It was a great personalized way to make sure you were still on track.

Teachers… I think that with any school you will find good and bad teachers. You have to make a little bit of an effort to learn about the teachers so that you can find the ones that will give you the most of what you want. If you ask around at school, I’m sure people will help. For the most part, I believe that the teachers were excellent. They also do student evaluations of the teachers part way into the semester to make sure that the teachers are good. I have found that they really really listen to those evaluations. I even had a teacher pulled and replaced to make sure we were getting the best we could.

Modeling vs Animation… I was a modeler, but because there are art electives, got to take animation as well. Also, there are general 3d classes you have to take first which involve some of everything. You can always change your specialty once you’ve taken those.

Housing… I didn’t live in the dorms, or even SF (I commuted) but I agree with everyone saying that shared apartments are the way to go!

San Francisco… has a huge number of people living in it, and tons of people from all different backgrounds and orientations. That’s what makes it great… so many different views.

foilepee
11-06-2003, 09:39 PM
Oh yeah, there seemed to be a huge number of people from out of the US attending the Academy. I don’t know details on that, but know they are very open to foreign students.

cquigley
11-06-2003, 11:43 PM
sorry for the long post, but i think you should read it, if you have anymore questions feel free to emial me.

I currently go to AAC, and thought I let you in on some of the things going on here. currently i am not too happy with the school, but i have spent alot of money and almost done, so i will finish here. It has great teachers who are out in the industry and love what they do and more than willing to help you, but the people who run it are morons. myself and many people i know have lost money, and the school is in it just for the money. currenty the art director for the cg department doesn't really know what she is doing. me and about 20 other student are trying to get her replaced with someone who does. one of my teachers lets us in on all the dirty stuff, and he recommend gnomon in hollywood or rigley in florida, not sure if that is the name of the florida school but something like that, they have awesome stuff being produced by students. also, even though the teachers are great here they are not used for their talent, example, there is a teacher who is incredible with textures, but they have her teaching the intro class to maya which she knows nothing about. even though i will finish here, i plan on buying the gnomon dvd set to teach maya, plus to live here is very expenseive, as of right now i recoomend another school, but depending how long until you attend a school keep checking it out because it just might get better, but it does have some great resources but everyone else is right when they said it just depends how much you apply yourself, iwould go to a school with awesome networkin which we have, but check out others as well.

Morganism
11-07-2003, 12:42 AM
The school does have some problems, the people in charge probably shouldn't be, but I should add that it is only getting better every year.

teknotek83
11-07-2003, 01:28 AM
i'm a third year illustration student at AAC.

i don't know if any of you other AAC students noticed, but most of the people i know believe that the workload for this semester has increased dramatically. and some advice to some new AAC students..some of the teachers aren't that great. some figure drawing teachers don't know proportions any better than junior high kids. but ther are some excellent teachers here.

yes, the AAC leeches your money like crazy. i wouldn't be surprised if AAC and Utrecht had some sort of thing going on where the AAC demands that more teachers require more supplies to be purchased so that Utrecht can make more profit.

some classes are just repetitive and pointless to take (ie, clothed figure drawing 2...just a mixture of heads and hands and clothed figure drawing 1.) be careful in what classes you enroll in.

Digiegg
11-07-2003, 02:38 AM
Bah.. I'm just sick and tired of searching for new schools.
I'm pretty sure all schools have flaws in their schools.

Morganism
11-07-2003, 03:37 AM
Yeah, I'm sure it's the same with any school. In order to get your money's worth, you have to be motivated and proactive. Switch classes if you don't like the teacher, get classes waived, make sure you are controlling your education. Regardless of how the administration runs things, you're still paying, and they want to keep you here. They also want you to do well after you gradute, because that's free advertizing. So it's not like they just ignore you after you're enrolled.

cquigley
11-07-2003, 09:38 PM
even though i don't entirley care for the school, you guys are right when you say that every school has it flaws. don't just give up on AAC, because everyone who posted saying that it depends on how you apply yourself is 100% correct. just becuae you go to AAC does not mean you'll work at ilm, pixar, etc. in fact, even though we have a pixar program, many of my teachers who have worked at pixar said you usually have to know someone who works there, and very very seldom do they hire right out of college students. i've only heard of 1 or 2 students going to ilm right after graduating, but they had to spend cuontless hours on their demoreel, and i've seen some of their stuff its incredible. DOn't mean to confuse you with my responses. I'm just giving you my personal experience; just go to a school that you feel is right for you and apply yourself, and you'll be fine.

Sky_DaBomB
11-08-2003, 12:07 AM
I'm thinking of going to AAC and checking the school out.
The first thing I'm not sure about is the tuition fee. It said on the web site that, 550 dollars per unit and a class is 3 units which make it 6600 dollars only for the tuition fee. But in the degree outline, every semester there are at least 5 classes and that would be 550 x 3 x 5 = 8250 dollars only for the tuition.
Can some one explain please?
And also do you have to take classes based on the order of the degree outline.
One more thing, I see some semester you can have over 5 classes. Do you that's too much. I've been to college and I know what it feels to have 5 classes, that's hard enough.
Thanks for your time...hopefully I could get the answers. :wip:

Unled
11-08-2003, 12:30 AM
I only take 4 classes, and that's more than enough to keep you busy.
Tuition does run around $6,600, minus whatever financial aid you get ect..
I'm getting near the end of my first semester and am pretty happy with the way things are going. There's a lot of opportunity here, you just have to go out and grab it!

Morganism
11-08-2003, 12:53 AM
The last few semesters I've been swamped with 4 classes, but it depends on the type of classes you take.
In addition to tuition, you have to take into account lab fees, which can get pretty damn rediculous if you are taking all computer classes. Right now there are petitions going around to get them lowered, so hopefully in the future they wont be as bad.
This semester I'm paying $1300 in lab fees in addition to tuition.
And remember, San Francisco is just an expensive place to live in the first place.

Digiegg
11-08-2003, 08:19 AM
what's the total estimate with like classes and stuff freshmen year?

Housing should like like a studio/apartments sharing with roomate.

Sky_DaBomB
11-08-2003, 07:02 PM
Thanks for ur info. I still have something to ask though.
If u take 4 classes every semester and 2 semester a year. How long does it take u to graduate? Is it still 4 years or 5?
Also about the lab fee, is computer art the most expensive major compare to Motion picture...etc....
Thanks again guys.

jbo
11-08-2003, 07:14 PM
it takes 5 years, unless you take 2 classes every summer

Sky_DaBomB
11-08-2003, 07:30 PM
So there's summer classes?
Is 2 the max of class u can take every summer?

cquigley
11-08-2003, 10:15 PM
lab fees depend on the class, some are more expensive than others, id on't remeber paying any this semester even though i have access. my tuition was only 6500 this semester. yeah, 4 classes are more than enough, depending on the classes, i took art history online over the summer and it was very easy, and didn't take alot of time, so some classes are easier than others and there might be semesters where you can take more than four. if you already have a portfolio you might be able to wave classes. the only really expensive thing is housing, its ridiculous in my opinion. i do recommed school housing the first semester to meet new people, but if you have to save money get a studio outside of school, or atleast get out after your first semester, it will be alot cheaper, take in account that for certain dorms, the is $1800 food plan which can be nice, but thats alot of money. yeah, lab fees are rediculous when you can get the software you need for the class my asking just about anyone. hope this has been help, one more thing... your advocate is more interested in saling you classes instead of helping out, so you will need to get on there case or the school will take advantage of you.
as far as summer goes you do not want to take morethan 2 classes because of the fast pace, most people i know only take one, it really depends on the class.

Sky_DaBomB
11-09-2003, 03:32 AM
cquigley: Thanks man for the infors.... they sure help me out alot.

omni
11-09-2003, 03:25 PM
Hey!!

I saw this thread and got interested =) I a student in Sweden at the University of Linköping. Because im studying full time here in Sweden I am thinking about taking the online course. Does anybody have some experience of this online way of studying? How much does it cost?

/Stefan!

SheepFactory
11-09-2003, 03:41 PM
it costs the same a regular course costs , $1500

I wouldnt recommend taking a online course unless its some stupid class like western civilizations or business law. I prefer to be in class where I can ask questions to the instructor in person.

You can spend that $1500 towards maya training dvd's and learn way more than what you would learn in an online class.

Hope this helps ,

Ali

omni
11-09-2003, 03:47 PM
yea, it cant be the perfect way of learning. Do you know someone taking a online course? Can you get a full degree?

/S!

SheepFactory
11-09-2003, 03:50 PM
no you cant get a full degree with the online course.

in case you didnt get me in the first time or i wasnt clear or something:

You dont want to waste your money on online courses!

andre22uk
11-09-2003, 05:56 PM
Sorry about the length guys...

Ive been subscribed to this thread for a while now as I am moving from the UK to San Francisco to study at the college, and Id just like to put across the conclusion Ive come to about attending the college.

My background is from having given up art related studies way back in high school, and not knowing what I wanted to do as a career. I ended up studying my best subject at university which happened to be Geography. Throughout I knew I wanted to be doing something creative for a career, but it was only when I came across the wide variety of media courses that it came clearer.

Ive just finished a two yr HND in multimedia, broadcast graphics and animation, where the teaching was to be honest, shocking. There were points when we could have been teaching the lecturers and some even apologised for being poor. At least I found my love for Computer Animation at the end though. So as you can see Im really looking for the best course out there that I can get on with and reach my goal. I also attended an interview at one of the best universities for computer animation in the UK which was a really odd experience, and totally put me off study in the UK. This has led me to look across the pond to the states and luckily enough to have funding to do so.

The main thing that you have to remember that many people have said over and over again, it isnt the course that is going to make you great, but the person. You have to push yourself further and farther than others depending on your natural ability of course. And if you really want to get the top jobs then you have to find which avenue interests you most and learn everything about it, ie modelling, texturing, lighting, animating, special effects etc, and then these can even be broken down further.

The second thing is down to if you think the course is right for you. There are many great artists out there that have simply bought a few books, and read tutorials online, and gone on to produce great pieces of work, theres even a survery I think on here or cgnetworks examing the percentage of self taught to those that studied in college.

For me San Francisco has a number of great factors. First its an amazing city, full of inspiration, and then theres the whole of California too (maybe im just dieing for the space coming from London :) ). Then you have to remember all the companies that are based in the city, and the closeness of Silicon Valley. As well as this the course isnt just about teaching, it gives you a great choice of resources and offers you the chance to network with people that our working in the height of the industry. Then from what I have heard from the feedback here, the teachers are very good too, but you have to make sure that you try and find out those that our best for your needs. A major factor for me is being able to start the course in January and not having to wait till next September/October, and as I already have a BA degree, I can obtain a BFA in 2years instead of 4years.

Well this is just the factors that have influenced my decision. I have heard alot of people taking about the cost of the course, which it is true to say that its very expensive considering most wanting to study wont have a working career behind them to support the costs. But again I have looked at Ringling, CalArts, Full Sail and Savannah College, and they all seem to be on a similar level of cost.

The reason I think that the college is the way it is in terms of "commercialisation" what with the high costs, and bits and pieces I have heard, is due to the fact that industry isnt helping with the desire for people wanting to move into this industry. There are a lot of people that see this as a cool career and dont look at whether they have the skills necessary to make it. The college just seems to appreciate the market for such desire and hence the high costs, and commerical success of the college.

Anyways, only you can find the answers...

Andrew UK

:buttrock:

Antonbomb22
11-16-2003, 02:56 PM
only thing i dont like about it is that they their software list doesnt include maya T_T

anyone know a college that includes maya in its 3D arts classes?

jbo
11-16-2003, 05:18 PM
academy of art does include maya. it's pretty much assumed that you're gonna be using maya if you're a modeling or animation major. there are houdini and 3d studio classes too, but pretty much everyone at the school doing 3d, uses maya.

Antonbomb22
11-16-2003, 07:00 PM
i didnt see it on their software list:
http://www.academyart.edu/ca/ca_facility.asp

cquigley
11-16-2003, 07:47 PM
yes aac does include maya, it is there main software. why they don't have it on their list, i don't know. there maya training from what i am hearing is not that good this semester. their best guy left to do the matrix, so i don't know if they will be getting any better. i have had many people tell me that gnomon is the best maya training out there, i plan on buying there dvd set soon. but, aac does have maya, and in my intro class i have right now we are modeling a character in maya.

cquigley

Diffused
11-16-2003, 07:52 PM
It includes maya. I guarantee it. I'm taking Maya 1 class right now.

Luddy
11-16-2003, 07:58 PM
Maya is on almost all of the PC's within the computer arts department. They also have Shake, 3dsmax, XSI, Commotion Pro, Speed Razor, and Final Cut Pro. Pretty much everything the big boys use (except for proprietary software). I can't remember if they have Houdini?

Antonbomb22
11-16-2003, 08:21 PM
k thanks guys:D, anyone know wut range of SAT scores they look for?

jbo
11-16-2003, 08:25 PM
Ha. They don't. I never took the SAT's... In fact, i don't think they even checked to see if I graduated high school. If you have money, you will get in.

Antonbomb22
11-16-2003, 08:26 PM
how much it cost?:shrug:

jbo
11-16-2003, 08:31 PM
i think it's a bit more than 6 grand a semester now, so 12 grand a year for 5 years... plus 400 bucks for pc lab (you can't waive the lab, and you have to pay for each pc class you take, so if you're taking maya1 and vfx1 at the same time, that's 800 bucks on top of tuition) the mac labs used to be 100. I'm not sure if that's still true. also, you'll have quite a bit of supplies your first few semesters. so, a lot.

SheepFactory
11-16-2003, 08:41 PM
its 7100 a semester + lab fees + supplies + housing + living expenses.

you are looking at 40.000$ a year for 5 years = 200.000$

of course they might increase the tuition like they did last year so thats subject to change.

Antonbomb22
11-16-2003, 08:47 PM
wow thats alot:eek:

SheepFactory
11-16-2003, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by Antonbomb22
wow thats alot:eek:

welcome to san francisco :D

Antonbomb22
11-16-2003, 09:05 PM
welcome to san francisco :D
lol:applause:

Digiegg
11-16-2003, 09:48 PM
yeap. great places have great values.
Are all the art stuff expensive there?
Like tell me somethings that I should buy here before going over there

Luddy
11-16-2003, 10:05 PM

you are looking at 40.000$ a year for 5 years = 200.000$

I "strongly" suggest transferring in if any of you plan on attending the school.

ex.
360 payments extended $632/month for 30 years (parent loan) @ 3%
300 payments extended $482/month for 30 years (student loan) @ 3%

ouch! :eek:

Of course if you land a nice job somewhere you can pay off big chunks within a year or two . My guess is that only 45% of the graduates will find work and stay in the industry (but don't quote me on that.)

Antonbomb22
11-16-2003, 10:11 PM
wut if u got a full scholarship? how much would it be just for courses etc.

Diffused
11-17-2003, 12:28 AM
I suggest not going into the dorms. I've visited a few of my friends in their dorms and i'll tell ya what. Its preeety bad. They dont even give you internet connection!
Rent out an apartment and share the bill with 3 others. You are in the city. Transportation is not a problem.
my 2 cents...
Its a great school though. Alot of creative vibe going on. Once you enter you will see the boundies of your talents. Alot of skill floating around...

keithv
11-18-2003, 12:07 AM
Is the motion picture BFA any good i am wanting to study special effects

thebrianproject
11-18-2003, 03:32 AM
I go to the Academy and I like it. My complaints are mostly with the dorms, and the liberal arts classes. If you can I highly suggest taking as many classes that don't have to do with your degree before transfering in. For example my history of film class is the worst class that I have ever had, and a big waste of time and money. My computer and illustration classes are a blast though.

cquigley
11-18-2003, 05:56 AM
i've paid about $27000 for the first year, including the summer, the tuition is not the bad thing, it's the housing that costs alot, my first year even includes school housing, but yeah the housing is horrible. TOO much drama, it's like high school all over again, i would look into sharing a place and paying 600-700 a month. start checking places out now, right before the semester begins is when places are the cheapest, if you have nobody to move in with, look at studio right before the semester, might be able to find some for about 700-800 dollars a month.
As far as special effects goes, i am not too sure, ost of that stuff in the industry is or have moved to the computer, so you might want to check out the visual effects, the only real difference is one is on the comp. and the other isn't.

cquigley

andre22uk
11-18-2003, 07:10 PM
Hey guys,

Just wondered if anyone thats already out there is going to be around in two weeks time, between 28th Nov, and 2nd December? Im coming over to study at the Academy of Art college from London, England, starting in January. But coming to have a look around. Would be great to meet up if anyone will be around, although I know its thanksgiving weekend.

What with the distance im having to opt for college housing but going to get a private room, as Im over 21. Does anyone happen to know about the college apartments?

Cheers
Andrew

Digiegg
11-18-2003, 09:10 PM
Do I HAVE to stay at the dorms there?
I'm gonna be a fresh and im 19 years old.

keithv
11-18-2003, 10:34 PM
cquigley i have an AS in computer animation and i just think it would help out knowing special effects too. plus some of the classes are vfs classes but i am comming over there Dec. 4-7 to do the tour

thanks

Antonbomb22
11-18-2003, 10:53 PM
how much is the dorm now?

Sky_DaBomB
11-18-2003, 11:12 PM
Is ther e any Asian Community like Vietnamese near the school because you could find cheap housing there. Like in Boston, there's a big Vietnamese community and it's very cheap to rent a room or the whole apartment.
Boston is as bad as SF talking about housing and stuffs.....

Sky_DaBomB
11-20-2003, 06:05 AM
Hey AAC students, I have a question.
Can you take these classes somewhere else to save money?
They are:
English Composition 1&2
Art History through the 16th Century, History of Film 1&2,
College Math,
Public Speaking & Oral Communication
Algebra/Geometry
Natural Phenomena
20th Century Art
U.S. History
Power of Myth & Symbol
I saw there under the Computer Art Degree outline.
Thanks

Morganism
11-20-2003, 07:56 AM
Most those classes you should be able to find at a community or state college. It might be worthwhile to talk to an advisor here first to make sure the classes you take elsewhere will count.

cquigley
11-22-2003, 07:29 PM
if you take classes at a community college be careful, i had 36 credits and the school only transfered 12. 6 credits they transfered i really didn't even need, and classes they didn't transfer that i could use here such as art history. i know other people who had there art history transferred with no problem, why they didn't let me do it i don't know. most of the classes you should be able to take at a jc, but they only allow 30 credits max to transfer. when talking to advisors here be very strict with them, tell them that you only plan on attending the school if most if not all your credits will transfer, that will get there attention becuase it is potential money there. also, i found something out this semester, even if you have enough credits to graduate, doesn't mean you will graduate. you still have to patition, you need to get permission from your teachers and advisor to see if your qualified to go out into the real world. this both a good and bad thing. good because you will be marketable when getting out, bad because they often change the curriculum to where it might add on another year or so. Just be very strict with them.

cquigley

andre22uk
11-22-2003, 10:50 PM
Just wondered, when you finish the BFA, do they make sure that you have a good quality showreel so you can market yourself or is that something you have to do in your own time?

Cheers
Andy

starting at AAC Jan 2004, see you all there I hope!

Morganism
11-23-2003, 12:34 AM
Theres a portfolio class that you take to help you get your act together.

milkyman
11-23-2003, 02:14 PM
could u PM some of that info to please?

thanks

Lessien
11-24-2003, 06:53 PM
I was wondering how the Academy was accredited? Do their credits transfer to the larger colleges and universities?
Has anyone done any internships? Does the school help you find them?
Thanks for any help answering my questions.

Digiegg
11-24-2003, 11:00 PM
i don't think most art schools can transfer credits...

ggg
11-25-2003, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by Lessien
I was wondering how the Academy was accredited? Do their credits transfer to the larger colleges and universities?

from their BFA and MFA, likely to any other reasonable art school

qwertyhuh
11-26-2003, 07:42 PM
i went to the aac and graduated in dec 2000. i lived with my parents and took bart to school. i would recemend every bfa student to change there degree to a AA degree. why...no one cares about that they only care about your reel, and you dont have to take liberal arts classes, and that means less money for school and getting out of shool on 2 years. ok classes are hit or miss there..well i can type for ever about the aac. about me..i wanted to do games when i went there. and almost all of the classes then were nurbs related stuff. so i had to learn polys myself. well after i got a job with sony/incog in salt lake city. there are tons of co.'s in the bay area but its super competitive and most were not hiring. its all about timing when you apply.
the aac was good for me.
:buttrock:

]_onewolf
11-28-2003, 09:18 AM
Hey guys,

So with the General Ed classes, is it possible for an international student to attend both community college and the AAC at the sametime and then transfer over the credits?

I just hope its not too late to apply for the Jan semester:blush:

Luddy
11-28-2003, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by ]_onewolf
Hey guys,

So with the General Ed classes, is it possible for an international student to attend both community college and the AAC at the sametime and then transfer over the credits?

I just hope its not too late to apply for the Jan semester:blush:

No, I don't think the AAC allows you to attend another college (international or not) at the same time and transfer the credits. You can take classes at a community college, but you probably won't be able to transfer in those credits once you enter the program.

You should be able to apply up until mid Jan. or so. Try to sign up asap, you don't want to get stuck with a bad schedule. :wise:

]_onewolf
11-28-2003, 10:04 AM
Ive actaully been thinking of going for a longtime, but because its such a big committment im having second thoughts. Nonetheless, if all goes well...you may see me at the tour next week! :bounce:

]_onewolf
12-03-2003, 05:19 AM
Hey how are you guys gonna find room mates, etc? I'm not sure where im going to live or who im going to live with:cry:
Im not sure if i should start right away or wait till orientation and meet some people at the college:wavey:

Sam0s
12-18-2003, 02:42 PM
Ok, gentlemen

Im halfway signing up for the dorms..good thing this thread is still alive.
Now, i havent read the whole thread, but, from what ive read, its awful ay?
i can afford the dorms, no problem there...but NO internet connection? are you f*ckin serious? thats a lot of $$$ for low-livin..
Hows the social life?
Show me the good sides of the dorms..

Is there anyone in this forum that actually lives at the dorms?

the reason i choose dorms for the first term is because im coming all the way from sweden, thus i have loads of sh't to handle before i can even enter the academy. furthermore, i want to get to know the area..

thanks peeps, great thread for us under the 'international phone department propaganda, amongst others :beer:

/Sam0s

ps. ill be landing in SF 1 january (very sober new years eve), so if there is anyone else attending AAC spring 04, holla back and we'll hook up

Unled
12-18-2003, 06:24 PM
Hey Sam0s,

The dorms sucks, however you're doing it right. The dorms are tolerable for the first semester at least, and by then you'll be more adjusted and able to move out to a cheaper / nicer place by then.
The dorms are also a great way to make some friends and meet people. If you're over 21 I suggest trying the Powell dorms, those are pretty decent.

ajouvenat
12-18-2003, 11:43 PM
The dorms are a complete, jip. Then again, I can't move out since I'm under 21 and on financial aid. They are decnt enough, but the rooms are very small for the price and stuff never gets repared, atleast on 1055 pine. My bathroom light has never worked and my toilet and sink leak. I was going to move to a local apartment, which are at a good price if you split them 2-3 ways, but I have no job to pay for it.

I lucked out and got a really cool roommate and ended up being good friends, however chances of that happening are slim. If you are afraid of the security of yourself and personal items get a single, but if you are fealing risky get a shared room. Roomates are asigned randomly the first semester you are here unless you know of someone that goes here, then you can request to be bunked with them.

Oh yeah, there is no internet in the dorm rooms either, you have to get it yourself or go into the computer lounge =\

Hope to see you next semester!

Digiegg
12-19-2003, 12:54 AM
UGH! the dorms sound HORRIBLE~!!!!!
I think im going to just say my aunt lives in san fran and fake it.
Get a studio or something around there...

The dorms are a complete, jip. Then again, I can't move out since I'm under 21 and on financial aid. They are decnt enough, but the rooms are very small for the price and stuff never gets repared, atleast on 1055 pine. My bathroom light has never worked and my toilet and sink leak. I was going to move to a local apartment, which are at a good price if you split them 2-3 ways, but I have no job to pay for it.

I lucked out and got a really cool roommate and ended up being good friends, however chances of that happening are slim. If you are afraid of the security of yourself and personal items get a single, but if you are fealing risky get a shared room. Roomates are asigned randomly the first semester you are here unless you know of someone that goes here, then you can request to be bunked with them.

Oh yeah, there is no internet in the dorm rooms either, you have to get it yourself or go into the computer lounge =\

Hope to see you next semester!

ajouvenat
12-19-2003, 02:18 AM
The dorms are horrible, but not to the point where you won't get anywork done.

Remember, you come to college for the education not the housing (even if it costs the same) :)

]_onewolf
12-22-2003, 06:24 AM
hey sam0s ill be landing jan 15th for the spring semester, see ya there:beer:

yeah the dorms a complete jib but i have no choice either.

Sam0s
12-22-2003, 02:44 PM
alright alright,

thank you all for replying,
my thoughts has gone more towards housing outside dorms, i'll just have to make it without sink leakage and bothering bathroom lights

Treasure Island has been suggested, there seem to be a lot of movement there so its not That hard to find an apartment in that area.

]_onewolf, very nice, seems like there actually is a crowd attending this spring. just sent you a pm, check it and get aquinted

/sam0s

keithv
12-23-2003, 08:15 AM
Hey for all of yall not wanting to live in the dorms i have a quick solution for you. i am going threw the same problem (or was but not any more) there is a web site called craigslist.com that is very helpfull i have found 100's of rooms for rent. well thought i would spread the word because its a real helpfull web site good luck and see ya in SF
:thumbsup:

roger3d
01-07-2004, 08:34 AM
Is there anyone here attending the online class?

How is it?

I saw the introduction videos and it's low quality.

What do you guys think about it?

http://online.academyart.edu/class_ca3d_101.html

:shrug:

andre22uk
01-07-2004, 11:35 AM
Hey Guys,

Well my VISA has finally arrived so Im in a hectic panic to get packed and over to San Francisco from London. I just wanted to ask if anyone knows about the textbooks required for the courses. I have quite a few already you see and trying to bring over as many as I can carry. Would be great if anyone has a rough idea.

See you guys soon,

Drew

sebek27
01-07-2004, 12:37 PM
interesting thread... i have a BA in graphic design and noticed that AAC has online degrees, what do you guys think about that ? is it a waste of money ? i'm thinking about getting my master's and would be easier since I work full time and live on the east coast to get an online degree

keltuzar
01-07-2004, 05:19 PM
Now all you have heard about the AAC housing is pretty rought. True the prices are high, true you may never get anything fixed up, true you may end up with a bad room mate. BUT you can definately be sure to meet a whole lot of people. Contacts and having friends is very important to work your way up. I am an international student and I have just started my 4 year course in couputer animation with aac. I have met not only computer animation students but you will be suprised what one can learn from the mpt (motion piture television) students and the new media students. Living in apartments you will know only a small group of people; your room mates and class mates. Trust me I definately reccomend to stay in the dorm atleast for a semester. I am right now in 860 Sutter Dorm (Beresford Manor). Pretty good dorm here. Its going to be full of girls and guys in the spring ;) .
I recently stumbled on this forum and would love to keep in touch with the aac students. email me at emailsheldon@yahoo.com
I am right now finished my fall and doing an intercession class.

Digiegg
01-07-2004, 07:16 PM
how much is dorming and stuff?
and also, when you are a freshman in AAC, do you have time to work ?
Yes I heard that dorming will help you meet lots of people but everyone is saying that dorming is just not worth the money.

keltuzar
01-07-2004, 07:41 PM
Now I can tell you how much I am paying to stay in the spring here at 860 Sutter and then you can decide.
there are 2 aspects of the bill
1) I have taken a double room with a common toilet(bath) $3900
2) THere is also a compulsory food bill that I have to pay too that is $1800.
Totally it is $5700
Now on the question on concentrating in your studies. Dude you are here to study but at the same time you have to make yourself known. Its all up to you. You can be locked in your room and do great animations and artwork but who will recognize you?
In the dorms there is a fair share of distractions and I have seen fellow classmates fail in thier classes because they didnt bother to attend the classes or take time to complete their homework.
For me, I realize how much my parents are paying and I know that if I want to be famous I must balance work and play.
Its all up to you dude. Dont beleive people who say that dorms are a distraction because its all up to you how you want to advance.
Take care and best of luck.

Digiegg
01-08-2004, 03:42 AM
3900 a month??? if that's the case... uh... bad idea.
I can get like a nice studio there with a room mate for like 500 a month (so around 1000).

keltuzar
01-08-2004, 04:02 AM
$3900 for the semster and not for the month!

ajouvenat
01-08-2004, 04:06 AM
The fee is per semester.

BTW keltuzar, which dorm did you stay at?

keltuzar
01-08-2004, 04:09 AM
I am in the 860 Sutter Dorm. I would like to meet you aac fellow students. I have already in contact with Sheep Factory, and will be meeting him at Borders bookstore on Saturday.
Cheers!

ajouvenat
01-08-2004, 04:14 AM
Originally posted by andre22uk
Hey Guys,

Well my VISA has finally arrived so Im in a hectic panic to get packed and over to San Francisco from London. I just wanted to ask if anyone knows about the textbooks required for the courses. I have quite a few already you see and trying to bring over as many as I can carry. Would be great if anyone has a rough idea.

See you guys soon,

Drew

If you arive early enough the resident managers ill take you guys on a tour. They'll stop by Alexanders Books Store. Just bring your course schedule and they'll set you up. Or just tell me what you're taking and I can tell you what you need :)

keltuzar
01-08-2004, 06:04 AM
Originally posted by andre22uk
Hey Guys,

See you guys soon,

Drew

Hey Andre22uk you would need textbooks only if its important. Could you inform me of which classes you will taking and I could advice you on wether to spend money on textbooks. I have finished my 1st fall semester with a 3.25 gpa (I got a c in english because I sucked at it :blush: ) Anyways I loved what I am doing and I am proud of the grades I have got because I worked for them. I am right now now, doing a winter intercession class so I am kinda busy but I could help you if you need any help.
take care
Keltuzar

keltuzar
01-08-2004, 06:17 AM
Hey I have a small problem in the class I will be taking.
I have just finished a credit called Intro. to Computer Graphics and Animation and beleive it was so stupid that I ended up teaching the teacher. Trust me DO NOT take this class. The problem is that there is another credit called CAPS. Now, I heard the students learn the same thing. Is it necessary I take this credit or I try to skip it? Anyone out there please help me.
I am very good with after effects, photoshop and I am currently animating my model in maya. So those aac students who took the CAPS class please help me! :banghead:

atomjack
01-08-2004, 06:48 AM
in the first week of CAPS you get a refresher on what you learned in Intro to Computers...pretty much a reminder of how to operate after effects. In after effects, we were required to make a logo intro for a "demo reel" . Then the remainder of the semester was an introduction to maya where you have to ultimately create a few minutes of an animated character. Then we had to output this all to VHS and show it to the class at the end of the semester.

I guess if you already know all that stuff then you can get it waived if you show the department director some proof that you can do it.

andre22uk
01-08-2004, 12:52 PM
Heylo,

Yeah, Im looking to meet up with anyone thats over there too. I came over to check out the college in early December and tried to meet up with Sheep Factory, but he was a bit too busy. Hopefully be meeting up when I get over there. Im hoping to arrive on 16th January, and Ive got an apartment style room at 680 sutter st. Look forward to seeing you guys when I get over there.

My email is andres@blueyonder, would be cool to hear from you all.

Cheers
Drew

:beer:

keltuzar
01-08-2004, 03:29 PM
Thanks Atomjack for the info.
I think I may take the class because I could learn a thing or two in after effects and maya.
Could you also advice me on which teacher is good for the class so that I could change my schedule accordingly?
Hey Drew, you live pretty close to my dorm and sure I could meet up with you.
Take Care!