PDA

View Full Version : Question about Render Box + remote desktop

anewhobby
08-28-2010, 04:53 AM
Hi there...

I am not a very techy type person so please bare with me if this is a stupid question....

I recently got a new workstation.. but rather than selling my old workstation I want to use it as a render box. No monitor, no keyboard just sit it in the courner and help with rendering tasks and mabey use it as a file server or somthing.

Anyway. I have set up REMOTE DESKTOP. So can teleport into the computer fine.. but i noticed something a little weird... while setting it up I had the monitor and keyboard plugged into the render box (Server) and while I was logged into the server though remote desktop the server seamed to "logout" and go to the login screen where you type in your password and everything. Then after the client logs out of remote desktop, the server is still sitting at that loginscreen....

SOOO... my question is....

Q:- Dose the logging out to teh login screen that happens on the server when you log inot teh server with remote desktop form a client... mean all teh applications shut down and stop working. Or do all the applications still run fine, as in my rendering app will in fact still be functioning even though the user is not logged in on teh server and the login screen can still be seen?

(am I making sense)

Thanks in advance

olson
08-28-2010, 05:06 AM
If you close the remote desktop connection then the computer continues as normal but with the screen locked. This just means anyone who comes up to the system will have to give the password for the current logged in user to continue using the system. If you completely log off the user then it will exit the applications just as if you log off sitting at the machine. So just close the remote desktop connection if you want the applications to continue doing what they were doing.

anewhobby
08-28-2010, 05:25 AM
If you close the remote desktop connection then the computer continues as normal but with the screen locked. This just means anyone who comes up to the system will have to give the password for the current logged in user to continue using the system. If you completely log off the user then it will exit the applications just as if you log off sitting at the machine. So just close the remote desktop connection if you want the applications to continue doing what they were doing.

ok.. thanks... this is what I was hoping you would say... cheers.

1 other thing.... should i turn off autoupdates for windows and my virus app... as if it is rendering.. you do not want it rebooting?

imashination
08-28-2010, 01:11 PM
Anyway. I have set up REMOTE DESKTOP. So can teleport into the computer

Aggggh omg!, Tron is real!

CGTalk Moderation
08-28-2010, 01:11 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.