PDA

View Full Version : Maya/Mudbox workflow

avagoyamug
08-27-2010, 10:06 AM
Hey guys!

I try to get into Mudbox at the moment and I'm stunned, now that I realise, how much of the modelling can much better be done in Mudbox! (for organic shapes that counts)

Technically it will just take time to get better, but as well I don't really get the workflow...

For example: Exporting Normal/Displacement-Maps back into Maya VS. Exporting the high-res-Polygon gack into Maya
...Whats the big difference? I mean, if I'm not creating Game-Assets, what are the benefits of using a low-res Mesh with a displacement map?

Don't they blow up my rendertime the same way as the high poly?

It would be great, if someone could roughly explain the (or several possible) workflows, when working with maya and mudbox, to me. What are you guys doing, and why!?

Thanks a lot, folks!
Regars
Thilo

gamarala
08-29-2010, 11:49 AM
I don't use Mudbox much these days, but to answer one of your Qs, the difference between using displacement maps and high poly models is the fact that most 3D applications cannot handle very high poly counts. I mean when you are in mudbox or Zbrush going to around 30- 40 million may not be a big deal, but in maya, it is. heck there are lots of more advantages of using displacements over raw polys.. -___-

Spaceform
08-29-2010, 12:43 PM
Also,try to imagine how the animation can be done with a character builded with millions of polygons.So it is better to generate the displacement map that will be applied to the hi-res mesh and rendered with it and the animation still can be done at the base(usubdivided) level.
Except for static meshes that are rendered as they are modeled,then the dense meshes are not a problem as long as you have a machine that can chew millions of polys:)

CGTalk Moderation
08-29-2010, 12:43 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.