PDA

View Full Version : Best way to achieve this look?

Natious
08-27-2010, 01:59 AM
hey guys, im kinda new to dynamics and was hoping to pull something off like this for a uni project

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qD-BWlBeFmw

Ive gotten particles to emit from a object with a animated ramp see here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmS6Et0CfLM

I know it doesn't look like much, but it was a first try at disintegrating something, i just dont know where to go from here to have nice looking particles, or is the above fluid effects?

any advice would be great, thanks!

mandark1011
08-27-2010, 03:13 AM
what you have is a similar treatment to the car.....but you need ALOT more particles and try changing your particle type to streak or multistreak then rendering out of the hardware render buffer. That will give you easy control over your motion blur and quick render turn arounds.

My guess would be that that is how this effect was done but whether or not it was maya or something like Krakatoa.. houdini who knows. This effect is definitely achievable in maya tho.

good luck

Natious
08-27-2010, 03:25 AM
Hi, thanks for the reply, ill try that out asap and see how it goes, also, it was done in maya, the guy who did it is floating around on this forum somewhere, but said he was too busy to lend a hand

efecto
08-27-2010, 03:50 AM
Hi, thanks for the reply, ill try that out asap and see how it goes, also, it was done in maya, the guy who did it is floating around on this forum somewhere, but said he was too busy to lend a hand

Hope this helps.
http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/tutorials/gravity_vs_uniform/gravity_vs_uniform.html

Natious
08-27-2010, 06:04 AM
This may seem stupid and simple, but i cant seem to figure out how to change the colour if i change the particles to streaks/multi streak

jdj
08-27-2010, 07:01 AM
If I would make this I would start by making a script that creates and sets up a single particle system (including fields) given some input objects in the scenes (perhaps some goal curves, random seeds etc.).

Then when that single particle system looks and behaves decent, I would start to duplicate the input objects a lot of times, changing each slightly and then firing off the script on those (in another script of course :) ), thus making a lot of particle systems that each behaves in a slightly different manner.

I would not be surprised if each tendril in the original scene is a separate particle system.

My $0.02
/ Daniel

Natious
08-27-2010, 07:48 AM
If I would make this I would start by making a script that creates and sets up a single particle system (including fields) given some input objects in the scenes (perhaps some goal curves, random seeds etc.).

Then when that single particle system looks and behaves decent, I would start to duplicate the input objects a lot of times, changing each slightly and then firing off the script on those (in another script of course :) ), thus making a lot of particle systems that each behaves in a slightly different manner.

I would not be surprised if each tendril in the original scene is a separate particle system.

My $0.02
/ Daniel

thanks, but all that sounds way beyond my current understanding of scripting in maya, and even particles at that :(

jdj
08-27-2010, 08:33 AM
Well - this should get you started. Look in the documentation for how the commands work - the command reference is very useful.

Cut and paste this into the script editor (in the MEL tab) and press the Enter button (not Return). After this you have a MEL 'command' called "create_particles" which takes a vector as input, so go ahead and write "create_particles <<1, 0, 1>>" in for instance the command line (ensure that the little text just next to the command entry field says MEL and not Python though), hit enter or return... one instant fountain.

global proc string[] create_particles(vector $p)
{
string $str[];

// Create particles
$str = `particle`;
string $particles = $str[0];
string $shape = $str[1];

// Create emitter
$str = `emitter -type "direction"
-position ($p.x) ($p.y) ($p.z)
-directionX 0
-directionY 1
-directionZ 0
-speed 5
-spread 0.2`;
string $emitter = $str[0];

// Connect particles to emitter
connectDynamic -emitters $emitter $particles;

// Create a field
select -clear;
$str = `gravity`;
string $field = $str[0];
move ($p.x) ($p.y) ($p.z) $field;

// Connect particles to field
connectDynamic -fields $field $particles;

// Return created objects so other scripts
// can do something useful with them
return {$particles, $shape, $emitter, $field};
}

Cheers!
/ Daniel

mandark1011
08-27-2010, 04:56 PM
thats cool that you would post that script for him....but if this was me i would avoid using it for now. If the purpose of this project is to learn i would try for the effect myself using what i know.

what is happening here essentially on this car is the particles are being emitted from a texture and are being driven by a turbulence (static phases) and perhaps a uniform field.

multistreaks and streaks are great because you can add a ton and still get regular speed and workability.

changing the colour means you need to add a ramp to the rgbPP value that you add from the per particle tab.

If your new to Particles use this to learn what some of the functionality is rather than really worrying what the final look looks like. Expressions are a MUST for any fx artist but having a script handed to you that you have no idea what it is doing is only going to hurt you in the end. Learn scripting yourself and start simple and use the online free resources to learn lots the Alex alverez stuff from Gnomon is great for starting knowledge.
have fun

hkspowers
08-27-2010, 05:53 PM
I will add, that I am pretty sure the example is using straight point particles just a LOT of them. Streak particles won't make such nice curves as they do not bend nor do they render with curved motion blur. This look can be achieved as mandark1011 mentioned by simply adding a turbulence field to the particles. Lower the particles conserve to .98 or so (for more tendril clumping) and render with mental ray with ray tracing to get the self shadowing. (although 3Delight would be better but lets keep it simple for now) That should get you going in the right direction.

jdj
08-27-2010, 08:01 PM
<snip>...but having a script handed to you that you have no idea what it is doing is only going to hurt you in the end...<snip>

I agree that you need to know how to achieve a look in the end. However; when starting from scratch it is a very steep learning curve before you take your first step. This learning curve can be greatly reduced if someone gives you an idea of how things relate in the beginning.

Natious example was clearly in the right direction with texture driven emission etc, but he did state that he did not know much about scripting.

The script I provided gives the framework for how to create particle effects through scripts, but if you walk it through you can see that it is far from a silver bullet. All it does is to create a particle fountain.

However it shows the basic framework for scripted particle creation; how a mel script should look like, how to create particles, connect to an emitter, attach to fields etc. To make the script do anything remotely like the examples is a whole different game which requires a lot of research.

...anyway; sorry - I got a bit irritated and needed to blow off some steam. :scream:

In the end - unless you're doodling away and just want to see what cool stuff you stumble upon - scripts gives you control of the end result in an entirely different way.

Good luck with your particles!

Cheers
/ Daniel

mandark1011
08-27-2010, 09:07 PM
no offense intended (for blowing off steam) but I question why a fellow thats having trouble connecting an rgbPP to a hardware particle needs the added complication of dynamically scripting his early particle setups?

Lets not try and run the Boston Marathon when we still are having trouble standing.

jdj
08-28-2010, 09:05 AM
Well. We can certainly agree that Natious needs some more tools in his box before he'll make a car disappear.

But; it is far from impossible, so Natious; take all of our suggestions to heart and ignore those who does not work for you and I'm certain that the car will disappear in the end.

Cheers!
/ Daniel

CGTalk Moderation
08-28-2010, 09:05 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.