PDA

View Full Version : Creating An Island 3D Model

SirGandolf
08-26-2010, 04:27 AM
Newbie Question
When structuring a model of an island, that has to be very detailed with many variations of the terrain (from near mountains, waterfalls and the like) and many man made structures, do you create the model as one solid or should it be made into parts. Also, if created by parts, should the parts be painted, textured before they are added to the island structure and would it be be the same for the trees and foliage?
Can someone please explain how it should be done?
TIA
John

CGIPadawan
08-26-2010, 04:38 AM
John, there are literally too many ways to make Islands, or mountains.

Asides from the methods you mentioned, you could also say, use Displacement/Noise/Wave Maps on a Plane and then it "pops up" and looks exactly like an island or a mountain depending on settings.

There's too many ways....

CGmonkey
08-26-2010, 07:30 AM
Newbie Question
When structuring a model of an island, that has to be very detailed with many variations of the terrain (from near mountains, waterfalls and the like) and many man made structures, do you create the model as one solid or should it be made into parts. Also, if created by parts, should the parts be painted, textured before they are added to the island structure and would it be be the same for the trees and foliage?
Can someone please explain how it should be done?
TIA
John

Try it out :)

RLM
08-26-2010, 08:15 AM
Hi John,

If you are interested in this type of thing it may be worth checking out E-on Vue

http://www.e-onsoftware.com/

All the best,

Jay

SirGandolf
08-27-2010, 04:53 AM
CGIPadawan lol I don't disagree with too many ways of doing it :)
Thanks for the - Displacement/Noise/Wave Maps on a Plane and then it "pops up" and looks exactly like an island or a mountain depending on settings - tip

CGmonkey a little lost on your comment. try it out - the solid, the parts put together, paint as solid or paint the parts before placed into a solid form?

RLM Thanks for the Vue info. They have some some nice demo reels there - the Ireland demo is kinda what I want to do. And they have a lot of versions, like for Artist (three I think) and several for pro and one I think for streaming. Which one do you think was used for the Ireland demo. BTW - every ver demo vid is the same so it's hard to tell which version will do what or they all do it all. Any help on which ones does what would help. Thanks.
Found the Ireland link http://www.e-onsoftware.com/showcase/spotlights/?page=4

:)

CGTalk Moderation
08-27-2010, 04:53 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.