PDA

View Full Version : Hard Shadow? how?

Roninfang
08-24-2010, 01:37 PM
How do i render in hard shadows in maya?

so far what i know is through ambiant occlution but do you guys any other suggestion?

or other techniques to render in hard shadows

ndeboar
08-26-2010, 05:05 AM
what do you mean by hard shadow???

mister3d
08-26-2010, 07:39 AM
Hard shadow - a small lightsource, or a high resolution for depthmap shadows.

Bitter
08-26-2010, 08:37 AM
Light radius controls the relative "softness" of a shadow by changing the imagined size of the light. This is in the light attribute editor.

AO by default seems to create a soft shadow, not hard. This is what is confusing in your post.

Roninfang
08-26-2010, 10:48 AM
for example in this images how the arm of the person casts shadows on his chest ive tried getting the same effect with a AO pass but problem with the AO pass doesnt seem to get all the shadows and only renders in the soft ones

http://roninfang.deviantart.com/favourites/#/d2mbkon

playmesumch00ns
08-26-2010, 11:14 AM
I once again respectfully refer you to my earlier reply
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=21&t=913146

Roninfang
08-26-2010, 11:29 AM
kinda tried that already doesn't seem to work only getting soft shadows must be the settings for my lights

hmmm

okies never mind got it working though when i try the suggestions in the net to make the shadow a bit softer it becomes more grainy instead ... hmm

ChrisThatGuy
08-26-2010, 06:20 PM
Don't use AO, at least not exclusively because it is specifically designed to make soft shadows.

Your other problem sounds like you increased the light radius on a raytracing shadow to make it softer (correct) but didn't increase the samples to compensate (which is why it's grainy).

Roninfang
08-26-2010, 06:30 PM
thats what i actually did XD that is what was suggested in the net

no wonder its grainy...>_<

where do i increase the samples?

as for the AO layer one of my college professors taught AO layers adds more detail in the final composite

Bitter
08-27-2010, 01:02 AM
AO is for Contact Shadows. Not cast shadows. Hopefully your instructor knows the difference. Eek!

You need cast shadows. Increase the shadow rays under the light radius settings to eliminate grain. Do so in small amounts until it's acceptable. 8, 16, 32, 64, etc.

playmesumch00ns
08-27-2010, 02:03 PM
Some days I wish ambient occlusion had never been invented...

CHRiTTeR
08-28-2010, 05:00 PM
hard shadows with AO?? lol :scream:

ChrisThatGuy
08-30-2010, 04:30 PM
thats what i actually did XD that is what was suggested in the net

no wonder its grainy...>_<

where do i increase the samples?

as for the AO layer one of my college professors taught AO layers adds more detail in the final composite

Where you set the light radius, right below that is a value called Shadow Rays. Keep doubling it and doing test renders each time until it looks good.

As to what your professor said: AO does add more detail, but keep it subtle or else that's all you'll see. Comp it on at 10% or so, then increase it until you have a look you like.

If he told you to use it to create your hard shadows: drop the course.

catche
09-03-2010, 01:51 AM
yeah AO is so misused these days. There are all kinds of images that seem to rely too much on a straight on multiplied AO pass. It can be great but it seems like people just throw it on there expecting it to be good as standard, in my opinion people should study the physics behind AO in real life before using the shader.

CGTalk Moderation
09-03-2010, 01:51 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.