PDA

View Full Version : Painting Wrinkles, Highlights, and Shadows

Optigon-cg
09-29-2003, 07:28 AM
I'm looking for input from other artists on how to paint in wrinkles, highlights and shadow particularly on character models using Photoshop.

This is the technique I currently use:

After my base color layer is established, I create a new layer called "shadows". I pick a soft brush and a medium grey. I set the blending to either multiply or color burn and begin to paint. I spread out the tones with the smudge tool to get nice gradients. For wrinkles I do the same except with a smaller, harder brush. Highlights are done the same as well except the blending is set to color dodge.

I was recently told that this image's texture seemed washed out, lacking mid-tones, so I would like someone to suggest a different paintng method or perhaps some tips.

Thanks.

http://www.optigoncg.com/Misc_Webspace/OldWmnForumPics/closeup2.jpg

Ian Jones
10-02-2003, 09:26 AM
Your technique seems fine.

The textures certainly seems a bit washed out though. Definitely don't believe anyone who told you it lacks midtones! It has 90% midtones on those textures. What you are lacking is contrast. You need to be a little more savage and confident with those brushstrokes. Lay on some darker crisper shadows and a few brighter highlights.

Oh btw, I hope those lumps waaaay down there are what I think they are. lol.

azazel
10-02-2003, 10:05 AM
Shade areas are not only darker- they have different hue and saturation also. So use different color than gray - dark blue for example. Same goes for highlights - more yellowish than white. And what Ian said :)

Ian Jones
10-02-2003, 03:01 PM
Yeah, thats true. Forgot to mention anything like that. Colour, especially bounce light which is usually the only light present in a shadow is usually bluish or a slightly different hue. It all depends on your surrounding environment. Also, don't forget that you can really convey some interesting moods / styles by playing with warm highlights vs cool shadows or vice versa. It all helps to enrichen the final product.

Optigon-cg
10-02-2003, 11:14 PM
Thanks alot guys for replying. I made some fixes. If you want to see what I did, please go to the original thread.

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=91332

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.