PDA

View Full Version : Custom Polygons

ONISpook7
08-23-2010, 11:03 PM
I'm currently using Maya 2010 to make a custom polygon, this is the first time I've started using such a program. I've run into some problems, I've imported my reference plane image and want to trace the shape around it then raise it up, much like the default objects. I tried the curve tool but could not find a way to connect the points, let alone raise it and close it off into a solid polygon. Anybody got any useful tips? Thanks in advance.

chris1981
08-29-2010, 08:05 PM
If you goto the autodesk website. goto programs.. maya. look around for tutorials or learning path. Then download the pdf file for the getting started guide. They have a good tutorial about exactly what you want to do

manservantpablo
09-02-2010, 06:10 PM
Yeah you need to hit the web and do some beginner tutorials..

But Ill give you some tips. When using a spline to generate a shape, you can make your shape all the way around, and connect the last vert at the end to the first vert you made. This will give you the option to close spline.

Then you add an EXTRUDE modifier to the stack, and play with the amount of extrude you want... thats how you can generate a custom shape pretty easy. But yeah, best bet for you is to just wrap your head around some tutorials for a few days/weeks and see what you can bring back to the table from them and apply them to your project. Good luck!

CGTalk Moderation
09-02-2010, 06:10 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.