PDA

View Full Version : Help - 3D Max 2009 - Modeling

juarezmenegassi
08-23-2010, 07:37 PM
Hey guys, what's up?

I'm modeling a spaceship on 3D Max, using polymodeling. I wanted to know if I can slice the model in half anytime I want to apply symmetry modifier. I mean, in case it gets no simetric at all on final stage of the process...Can anyone help me please?

Sorry if Im double posting this doubt, but I couldn't find it here.

Thanks for everything!

Psyk0
08-24-2010, 12:39 AM
Yes you can slice the model in half at any time and apply a symmetry modifier. I usually create a mirrored instance of the side i'm working on and when i'm happy with it, i apply the symmetry modifier.

juarezmenegassi
08-24-2010, 02:07 PM
Thanks for the reply Psyko, much appreciated!

You usually slice the model using boolean or another method? I used boolean yesterday, but there were some imperfections because of the lack of symmetry I told you about...

Thanks again man, have a nice day!

cheers,

Juarez Menegassi

Psyk0
08-25-2010, 01:33 AM
I rarely use booleans...i'd rather use the slice tool and manually cleanup the problems.

juarezmenegassi
08-25-2010, 10:42 PM
tha'ts very interesting psyko...I studied some slicing and slice modifier. But how do you work with circular slicing? When you want a cylinder to cut a box, for example....

I'm really thankful for your support man!

Cheers,

Juarez Menegassi

Psyk0
08-26-2010, 01:19 AM
Here's how i'd cut hole in a box...just generic exemples:

-First create the box
-Add center divisions (horizontally and vertically) to get a vert perfectly centered
-Select the vert and chamfer it
-Cut edges to make it all quads and 8 sided at the same time.
-Select the 8 sided polygon and apply a spherify modifier
-Done

Alternative
-Create box
-Create a circle shape (under shapes tab) set interpolation to 1
-Center circle shape on the box
-Activate snaps (so the cut tool snaps to verts)
-Select the box and cut the shape of the circle (the cut tool will snap to the verts of the spline even if it's not part of the same object)

That last one might be confusing, i'll record some quick vids if you want.

juarezmenegassi
08-26-2010, 02:16 AM
I didn't imagine the possibilities of the chamfered vert and spherify!! I'll test it now :)

Thanks man, I owe you so much!

Cheers! :bowdown:

Psyk0
08-27-2010, 01:14 AM
No problem dude

Heres another way, by Per Abrahamsen (i think thats how he spells it)
http://www.per128.com/pages_tutorials/img/circle_on_grid.jpg

EvilBlah
08-28-2010, 12:10 AM
I know Psyk0 already answered this and gave you some options but I just wanted to throw in there that when you apply the symmetry modifier you can then go down on the stack to the editable poly/mesh (whatever you work with) the modifier will disappear. There is a button that looks like a test tube (called 'show end result') below the modifier stack that if you click it, max will display all modifiers you have already applied to the mesh and allow you to continue working.

Just one of the many ways to do another task. =)

CGTalk Moderation
08-28-2010, 12:10 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.