PDA

View Full Version : Space marine shoulder pad

Junkie Inc.
08-23-2010, 06:28 PM
What would be the best way to model a warhammer space marine shoulder pad. I'm using Maya 2009 and am having trouble wrapping my head around this, and I'm sure it's easy!! This would include the edging on the pad.

Many thanks in advance

junkie

petemolinero
08-23-2010, 07:55 PM
Hi,

Can you post a picture of the item you would like to model?

musashidan
08-24-2010, 08:59 AM
Very simple. Create a sphere primitive>delete 3/4 of it(so you are left with a 90% angle and the remaining curve) > select the faces that make up the armour edging.>extrude them.>tighten the extruded geo with inline edgeloops if sub-Ding.

Junkie Inc.
08-24-2010, 05:01 PM
Musashidan, I'll give that a try.

Petemolinero, I've posted pic below

Thanks

junkie

Dare-o
08-24-2010, 06:57 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/story_custom.php?story_id=5200

this feature has some good reference.

Junkie Inc.
08-24-2010, 07:27 PM
Dare-o this is great and a real inspiration, excellent stuff to be sure, many thanks for this

Musashidan I have a screen grab below. I created the poly sphere and deleted like u said however if I try to extrude edges or faces or move thes out to get the volume of the pad edging that's when things start to go pear shaped :(. I know this is probably something really, really simple but this is so frustrating. Please help lol.

Thanks Guys

junkie

musashidan
08-25-2010, 07:55 AM
well, there's a bit of manual work aswell. :D One way to do it is: sellect the bottom row of faces>clone, rotate them 90 degrees and translate them into position so that you have another row of clean quads running up and over the top of the pad. Now attach the 2 rows of faces into a single mesh and weld any overlapping verts. Now you have a nice clean topology from which to extrude from.

note: there are many,many ways to build geometry in 3D. For instance, a much quicker way to get the pad edging geo would be to use re-topo tools to build and conform faces to pad geo.

CGTalk Moderation
08-25-2010, 07:55 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.