PDA

View Full Version : This SHOULD be simple: an Ammonite shell...

Adrian93
08-23-2010, 04:36 PM
Yeah I've been struggling with this for AGES, how do you make one? I'm using Maya 2009. It needs to be about the same size as the reference image.

Psyk0
08-25-2010, 12:45 AM
In max i would create an helix and loft a shape along it, in this case the pattern of the shell.

Adrian93
08-25-2010, 11:58 AM
In max i would create an helix and loft a shape along it, in this case the pattern of the shell.

Actually for starters I just need a simple shell, I'll make the pattern with specular/bump mapping and texturing and just close the ends with real modelling. That's the inner part, the core, and that's what I'm working on atm. So it doesn't need to be that complex, it just has to have that perfect size of the reference image.

On the other hand there is a way in Maya to do this by duplicating a cylinder with transform, but it's too random and unpredictable, that's like the last thing I'll resort to.

Psyk0
08-26-2010, 12:27 AM
By pattern of the shell i meant the actual surface shapes/details some of them have (scales or ribs) and not the color of the shell ;)

Adrian93
08-27-2010, 12:54 PM
By pattern of the shell i meant the actual surface shapes/details some of them have (scales or ribs) and not the color of the shell ;)

Yeah but the inner core of the shell which I need to make first doesn't need that sort of geometrical detail.

CGTalk Moderation
08-27-2010, 12:54 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.