PDA

View Full Version : Screamernet + Dual Xeons

fwahhhh
09-29-2003, 12:26 AM
I have a small renderfarm setup here at work...Each machine is a Duel Xeon with Hyperthreading enabled. Should I run 4 instances of LWSN on each machine to take full advantage?

Thanks in advance...

Cody.

koop
09-29-2003, 09:52 AM
I just use one instances of Lwsn, it uses my four processors (dual Xeons) just fine.

Animations probably render faster when you start multiple instances of Lwsn, but then you need a lot of memory

NanoGator
09-29-2003, 10:07 AM
Kind of depends.. how many scenes do you have rendering at a time?

DarkLight
09-29-2003, 11:10 AM
Give this a try.

Edit your lw3.cfg file and find the line:

RenderThreads 1

and change it to

RenderThreads 4

This should get lwsn to render with 4 threads. I haven't tested this myself as i'm only using a single processor PC. Let me know if it works.

madrenderman
09-29-2003, 11:56 AM
uhm, actually we have in renderfarm many dual xeon computer, and we use ones screamernet istance for every cpu.
our cpu is not with hypertrading, but from many test did, i find that two cpu = 2 screamernet is more faster than1 cpu with multithreading.

i suggest you to check with two and 4 instance of scremernet on a heavy scene (if render is under a minutes at frame, many factor about memory, hd speed can false the test).

and verify where you have best result.

yes if you use more than one screamernet at time you need more memory, but you bought these computer be cause you need speed, then if need you can buy more memory.
have a nice day

NanoGator
09-29-2003, 12:00 PM
I've had some scenes render a lot faster with Hyperthreading, and a lot slower in other cases. Sadly, the results were so varied that I couldn't find a pattern.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.