PDA

View Full Version : Best techniques for import / Export of assets from Vue Infinite

RLM
08-20-2010, 02:32 PM
Hi Guys,

As we have now got a topic solely about compatible hardware for using Vue. I thought it may be worth starting a topic about the best way to import / export everything into and out of Vue Infinite for those who have switched from the integrated version or just prefer the Infinite version anyway.

I don't know if this will become a sticky or not, but if everyone adds to it regularly with their own experiences, surely it would be invaluable.

So far, I have had great success exporting scenes and geometry from Cinema and into Vue Infinite using the .dae Collada extension without problems. In fact, it seemed to be the best way of preserving materials out of all the other options I tested too.

ExtremeProjects
08-21-2010, 03:47 AM
Collada is going to be your best bet for most imports to Vue.

I have used OBJ's in the past and they work fine, I prefer them because I am familiar with them.

a handy tip when exporting your geometry: If you going to texture it in vue and want more control over the material distribution then give those main faces different materials. The geometry will come into Vue as a multi-material and it's ludicrously easy to replace the materials.

Head over to this page to see what i'm talking about: E-On Showcase - Serenity (http://www.e-onsoftware.com/showcase/projects/?page=2)

RLM
08-23-2010, 08:15 AM
Hi Conrad, thanks for the info as it's really useful as always.

CGTalk Moderation
08-23-2010, 08:15 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.