PDA

View Full Version : Post your PC Spec's and relating Vue performance

ExtremeProjects
08-20-2010, 11:38 AM
Hey guys!

RLM suggested a sticky thread where we could post our Spec's of PC's and relating performance.
If you have any experience with specific gpu cards also then post them.

I'll start the forum off with my details:

Software Version: Vue xStream 8.5

PC Specs:

CPU: i7 930 @3.9Ghz
RAM: 12GB OCZ
Motherboard: DFI LanParty X58 (UT X58-T3eH8)
GPU: ATI 4870X2
HDD: 120GB OCZ Vertex SSD

I can confidently say I love everything about the setup except for the graphics card.

Vue does *not* utilise dual GPU's and therefore the maximum memory is 1024MB. Also, the 4870X2 doesn't support OpenGL 2.1 (Shader 4).
I can say the SSD is fantastic too... installing Vue to this drive made loading plants and heavy texture objects very quick.

I have experience with the Nvidia GTX285 also as I borrowed it from a friend and it worked a dream with OpenGL 2.1.
Lastly I have an old 8800GT that I tested out a few months ago and it actually ran BETTER than my 4870X2. nVidia just run better in general in my opinion.

If you're looking for a review of the Pro graphics cards for 3D use check this website out: Firepro & Quadro Review compilation (http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/quadrofx-firepro.html)

Post away your spec's and experiences with them!

- Conrad

RLM
08-20-2010, 01:48 PM
Hi Conrad,

Thanks for starting this topic, hopefully it should really help other potential Vue users. Think I will have to look at getting a SSD in my next set up too!

Although I am just on a PLE of Infinite so far.

My spec is as follows;

Vue Version: Infinte PLE 8.5

PC Specs:

CPU: i7 965 Extreme @3.2Ghz
RAM: 12GB DDR3 @ 1333MHz
Motherboard: ASUS X58 (P6T Delux)
GPU: 2 x Nvidia GTX 260 (768MB per card) Obviously, I only use one card though
HDD: 2 x 1 TB SATA 's
Vue Issues: No major issues, but so far I have only worked with fairly basic scenes due to time restraints. I am going to attempt to really test this set up over the next few weeks though, so I will try to post any updates once I have done this.

L8rz

BoBoZoBo
08-20-2010, 05:19 PM
I usually try not to get on the ATI Vs. nVidia bandwagon, but I have seen that when it comes to Open GL apps, nVidia does a much better job for a much longer time.

Especially with VUE, this has been the case since I started using the first version of VUE.

I am not sure if its the architecture or the drivers. But I do now that nVidia partners with MANY more of the Media Power houses than ATI does. This may be why, with the optimizations and cooperation that arises from this.

Gaming rigs - ATI hands down in Price/performance.
Working rigs Gl heavy - nVidia for sure.

ExtremeProjects
08-20-2010, 05:48 PM
@Cedric

Completely and utterly agree! I actually prefer ATI for gaming. By far. They have the raw power in my opinion. But nVidia have quality cards too and if you're using Vue and deciding between the two, nVidia is the *definite* winner.

RLM
08-23-2010, 09:18 AM
Also agree with above comments from my own experience. Nvidia seem to be the best option by far when to comes to work rigs! I also prefer the drivers too.

alexm95
09-07-2010, 03:30 AM
Vue 8.5 xstream

Windows 7 x64
3GHz Mac Pro
6GB of Ram
Nvidia Geforce 8800 GT

from Vue 7, Vue has become very stable ( cant say that about xstream :(( ), a lot people complain about vue crashing, I have had random crashes but not that much. In opinion most crashes occur when you create a huge ecosystem with out planing ahead.

I recommend
Running Vue smoothly you must be on a x64 machine. You need minimum 6GB of ram, I recommend 12GB. Nvidia cards run wayyyy better,

(coming soon)
i'm writing a article on my new blog about creating a stable ecosystem. (coming soon)

my new blog (http://alexm95.wordpress.com)
my Vue work @ deviantart.com (http://alexm95.deviantart.com/) ;)

RLM
09-08-2010, 11:29 AM
Hi Alex, thanks for the info and I will look out for your article too. To me one of the main things holding Vue back is the lack of a decent, active community like other software packages have. Virtually every Vue forum seems stale with hardly anyone new posts or topics appearing at all. By sharing information on essential topics like this, we are hopefully helping the community to grow a little.

CGTalk Moderation
09-08-2010, 11:29 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.