PDA

View Full Version : Rendering particle sprites within fog volume box

Okilo11
08-20-2010, 07:14 AM
Not sure if this is more relevant to rendering or dynamics, but here goes:

I'm trying to render particles in an underwater scene using sprites. I am rendering in mental ray with some cubes on the left and some rocks for test purposes.

Without fog, it looks like this:
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a96/thebigo2389/RenderWithoutFOg.png
which is fine and dandy, except there is no volumetric fog.

With fog, the entire sprite squares within the fog volume box are showing up:
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a96/thebigo2389/RenderWithFOg.png

Any thoughts?

animatedfox
08-20-2010, 09:35 PM
Just wondering what the sprites are?
Are they little floating bits in the water?
If so, I would suggest using little randomly scaled tiny bits of geo instanced or a particle cloud render type.
If not, I am off the mark and maybe someone will have the secret to your problem.

InfernalDarkness
08-20-2010, 09:58 PM
Are you using Maya's light fog, or are you using mental ray's parti-volume shader?

Okilo11
08-21-2010, 04:37 PM
Just wondering what the sprites are?
Are they little floating bits in the water?
If so, I would suggest using little randomly scaled tiny bits of geo instanced or a particle cloud render type.
If not, I am off the mark and maybe someone will have the secret to your problem.

That did the trick, thanks!

Are you using Maya's light fog, or are you using mental ray's parti-volume shader?

I'm still new to Maya (Was a Max User) but I believe I am using Maya's. Created a volume box and made fog that way.

InfernalDarkness
08-21-2010, 05:51 PM
Glad it's working for you!

If you want light rays shining through, and want them occluded and casting volumetric shadows, you'll need to use the parti_volume shader though. It can be a pain and takes forever to render, so hopefully you won't need it for your scene.

CGTalk Moderation
08-21-2010, 05:51 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.