PDA

View Full Version : Website Portfolio Critique

JDieck
08-19-2010, 09:56 PM
Hi everyone. I was hoping I could get some pointers on my portfolio (what to add, what to remove, and what to improve?), and my website (how to make it more efficent?).

Portfolio (http://www.speedofdarkness.com)

Thanks!

MFTituS
08-20-2010, 02:08 PM
hey jose,

good start! this is just my opinion, don't take it too serious ;)
i like the tide layout at the beginning and that your work is arranged by emphasis with the strongest areas on top. for optimisation you can shrink the buttons so the customer doesn't have to scroll through the page to see all 4 categories. not necessary but wourld make the navigation easier :)

it's pitty that you just have to show one environment. some different places would show your flexibility and variety. it doesn't have to be a full level. the current environment is a bit dark for my taste.i can't see your work clearly. maybe a variety of the same environment would be cool. different light situation (warm and friendly), some additional props to make it more lively and nice!?!

hard surface:
hm, just 3 props out of your environment. looks like you did not have so much time for your portfolio.
i see your main issue in environments, so show your best stuff from different categories and how passioned you are about it. as an employer i would think that you don't have much experience and don't take your interest too serious. it could be a bit more :)

characters section:
i would get rid of vertrum. it is the weakest model from all points of view - modeling and design. doesn't work for me, sorry :(
the other models are ok and show your potential for organical stuff.

don't know if the drawings section is well placed. it isn't your strongest part and should not get the same attention as the other things. it is ok to mention "somewhere" under additional misc things or something like that, that you have spend some time with drawing, but i would put it aside.

wish you good luck with your career!

Carnifexs
08-23-2010, 04:49 AM
I agree with MFTitus for the most part. If your specifically going for a game related job, there are important things that people like to see. For example: maybe have a wireframe shot of some of your favorites, and seeing a texture map/normal map/spec map/bump map is nice just so they can see that you understand UV layout and what not. But make sure you keep the pretty in front, a lot of studios don't necessarily have an artist look for new employees.

It's a great start, but defiantly listen to MFtitus about the layout of the 4 categories and adding more content in the areas you want to find a job in. EX: If you want to do game environments, add more of that work... People like to see multiple successful pieces.

matmonkfish
08-23-2010, 07:05 AM
hey... this may just be a personal preference but i think if your 'art portfolio of jose dieck' was top left, and just lost the speed of darkness it would be much better. speed of darkness feels slightly tacky and pretencious to me, maybe some potential employs would think a similar thing as an initial impact, but then again im not a games person, so maybe dont listen to me, but its kind of a meaningless nothingy sentance, let the work speak for itself, dont over glamourise things.

i think when the first guy said 'good start! this is just my opinion, don't take it too serious' he may have been refering to this too perhaps

DoctorMonkeyFist
08-28-2010, 01:30 AM
I think it might be better to focus on characters or environments. Most studios hire character artists or environment artists. You should pick one and develop it. Hope that helps. Good luck!

CGTalk Moderation
08-28-2010, 01:30 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.