PDA

View Full Version : Problem reducing file size

PaulG21
09-28-2003, 02:22 PM
Does anyone know how I can reduce the file size of my demo reel. At the moment its 5.6 mb and I need to get it down to about 1 mb. its drivings be nuts, can anyone help?

jbw
09-28-2003, 02:38 PM
Can I have a little more info please... what format and what codec are you using?

Cos of the 1mb size I'm guessing you either want this for the web or possibly email?

What software are you using to compress the movie?

ta,
jbw

PaulG21
09-28-2003, 02:43 PM
hey, thanks for the quick reply. The software I'm using is videostudio 7, dont know if your familiar with it? The format I'm using at the moment is mpeg, not to sure about the codec though, sorry. and yes, I'm trying to reduce the size for email.

quinox
09-28-2003, 03:14 PM
email of 1Mb... I wouldn't be happy to receive anything like that (email servers are slow in general)

can't you just store it somewhere on the internet/ftp and email the link ?

jbw
09-28-2003, 05:46 PM
Hmm... I've never heard of Videostudio 7 I'm afraid but I can give you one tip. Head over to HERE (http://www.siggraph.org/education/materials/HyperGraph/video/codecs/Default.htm) and have a read up on the various codecs. You might find that Mpeg isn't the best way to go though I've never encoded stuff for the web (just CD) so I'm not the greatest authority on it :blush:.

Also Quinox's advice is sound!:)

ta,
jbw

PaulG21
09-28-2003, 05:59 PM
Thanks for the advice, that link was really helpful. now that i have your attention though, do u think u could help me with another similar problem? I'm now trying to wack my reel onto cd but dont even know where to start. How do you do it? Do you need any special software or is it all a lot simpler then i think?

ZrO-1
09-28-2003, 07:42 PM
I can offer a little assistance:

For your video you want to get down to ~1MB:
Definetly try rendering it out as a Quicktime6/MPEG4 video. You could also try DivX (it also is MPEG4) but DivX isn't installed by default on people's computers. I would say QT6 would be a safer choice since it is more of a standard than DivX.

For getting your Demo Reel on to CD:
As long as your demo reel is less than 74-minuets :) you can do the following:
Render out a high-quality version of your demoreel as an uncompressed MPEG.
If you have either Nero or Easy CD Creator on your computer for your CD-R/RW drive, you can use the "wizzard" assitant to help you burn a VCD (that's a standard video CD) which can play on any VCD palyer, most DVD players, and any computer. Just make sure you label the disk very clearly that it is a VCD and not just a CD-ROM. Many companies will not even touch a CD-ROM so all of your hard work would have been waisted.

Aearon
09-28-2003, 09:30 PM
you can read anywhere that cd-roms / vcds and dvds are generally a very bad idea. most companies don't have dvd players in their screening room, so they won't bother. vhs is still the standard :shrug:

ZrO-1
09-29-2003, 01:37 AM
Fist is right...mostly ;)
Most companies only want VHS, but some will accept VCD/DVD, none will accept CD-ROM.

Always check with the company and see what format they would prefer. Even if it's inconvenient for you, send the company what they prefer, not what you want/have.

PaulG21
09-29-2003, 08:52 AM
Thanks for the help guys, have'nt tried quicktime yet, i'll give it a go. and I know most companies prefer vhs but i'm sending my demo reel to an agency and they asked for it on cd. :p

Xuan_Zang
09-30-2003, 01:20 AM
I would imagine that quicktime would be better as I doubt many places would bother messing about with different codecs if they didn't happen to have the one you used installed already. I hate messing around like that and I only download demos out of personal interest. Someone who has the pick of a load of demos looking for work from them wouldn't waste too much time fiddling around trying to get one specific one to play.

Why don't you ask the agency to clarify what format they want it in? Do they want a VCD to play in a dvd player or a video file they can send over the net? It seems to me that they should be more clear about it.

One quick way you could reduce your file size would be to render it at a lower resolution, but obviously this would mean the image would be smaller.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.