PDA

View Full Version : box 2 questions

redskin106
08-19-2010, 04:14 PM
is it possible to emit particles and turn them into softbodies in the same flow or does it require having separate objects being split into different sections and use that with particle skinner? i would like to create a birth stream and use it with instanced objects which would be quite soft (jelly-like) but i can't figure out a proper workflow for this. i will need a lot of particles interacting so would be great if there was a way.

JohnnyRandom
08-19-2010, 04:22 PM
Hmm, well creating soft bodies requires control particles for each collision point of your soft body object. I suppose you could create them on the fly. It might be a little hacky.

Something like Birth Stream, Find Target by Vector or Box#3, test out to final event.

How many soft body objects are you talking about?

redskin106
08-19-2010, 04:29 PM
funny i was just rereading your softbody tutorial and trying to think of a way... unfortunately i dont have box3 and yeah particle count might be around 5-10k (well as far as it can be pushed really) as i have to litteraly flood a whole street with these soft objects. would there be any other way which would require the use of box3 by any chance?

JohnnyRandom
08-19-2010, 05:06 PM
If you could simplify your soft body shape to a minimal particle count that would help. If you are looking at 5k-10k particles, the current PhysX system limit is around 64000 particles, but to actually have a workable scene you are looking at more like half that, which leaves you with 3 to 6 particles per object. As for on the fly with that many objects could be pushing it, if possible, Box#3 would just be for control particle placement, it would not be necessary, just faster/more efficient.

Depending on the LOD you need it is doable as pSkinner will give you some stretch(a tad bit of squash but not much) as you control particles would closely resemble the actual soft body shape with the low control particle count approach.

If your are talking about crushing objects or objects with a high level of detail you would need a proxy collision system and build up your soft body objects on a more system scale based approach.

For instance if you needed to crush 1000 cans, this is just an idea BTW, one could build up a system that crushed 20 to 100 cans at a time (depending on detail) bake those out either via script or SuperMesher, possibly attach a simple proxy geo to them, use the simple proxy geo as a collision object for interactivity with the next system (in fact you could Birth Object these in another event), then create another crush system, in theory it should work by building it up in layers. Now that you have the two systems just cache and replace until you have the full count.

Might have to test it sounds good on paper, I just haven't tried anything quite on the scale.

CGTalk Moderation
08-19-2010, 05:06 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.