PDA

View Full Version : Maya Fur and maya muscle problem

tuddel
08-19-2010, 02:05 AM
Hi everyone.
Im trying to apply fur to a character with a muscleSystem but for some reason the muscleSystem is causing the fur to not follow the normals of the geo, or something like that (ie. the hair on his head continues to point to world-up when the head is rotated down). If I turn off the muscleSystem and turn on the skinCluster, the hair seems to work fine.thanks for all the help!
:)

Matt Leishman
08-19-2010, 05:54 PM
Things here are always easier said than done, but regardless ...

I'd try duplicating the skinned/muscled mesh, drive the duplicate with a blendshape from the original, and have the fur associated with the duplicate (not the skinned original). Apart from the blendshape node, it will be a fresh clean mesh with nothing on it to compromise the fur setup.

I've never used this technique before but, as you're describing it, it sounds like if you had a mesh that was relatively clean the fur would be more likely to not break. just a thought.

tuddel
08-19-2010, 06:23 PM
Thanks Matt,

I've tried that already and the same thing happens. I've also tried using a separate mesh for the fur and connecting its outMesh to the inMesh of the bound/muscle geo; it still affects the fur for some reason. Lastly, I tried to use a wrap deformer, but Maya instantly crashes every time I try to apply it. Too many verts maybe? Thanks for the suggestion, though.

CGTalk Moderation
08-19-2010, 06:23 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.