PDA

View Full Version : UDK Questions

MonkeyHanger
08-18-2010, 08:57 PM
Firstly, sorry if this is in the wrong place!

I have a couple of questions I need answering.

What is the best way to model buildings that you can walk around?

What dimensions should I be aware of? Character height etc?

I've tried looking around on the internet and I can't seem to find a straight enough answer.

Thank you for your time :)

Mordin
08-19-2010, 10:46 AM
Hourences website is very good. Should be able to find your answers on there.

http://www.hourences.com/book/tutorialsue3faq.htm

or this one:
http://www.polycount.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=63

As for creating buildings you can walk around, it depends, but you probably want to create a static mesh. That is a 3d model you've made in a 3d program (like 3ds max or maya) and import into UDK.

MonkeyHanger
08-19-2010, 11:45 PM
With regards to modeling a building, I would be best just modeling the outside and then modeling the room layout inside and then just import it into Unreal?

sprunghunt
08-22-2010, 06:13 AM
try this!

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/ProceduralBuildingsTutorial.html

Rahl
09-16-2010, 02:28 PM
There are two ways to model buildings with interiors.

The FPS way:

The building model actually has exteriors and interiors and the player can walk inside via a staircase / open door.

The RPG way:

The building only has exteriors and the player must press a key in front of a door to load and enter the interiors. The interiors are not actually inside the building but somewhere else in the map. By pressing enter in front of the building exterior model the player is being moved to the model with the inside of the building.

Height Issues:

Ceilings are on average 3 / 3.5 meters high, but there is no fixed rule. When importing to engines assets its always better to make sure that the ceiling are tall enough for the player to fit. When modelling just make sure that door frames and ceilings are tall enough.

If by any chance they are not just scale on the Y axis in engine the building model.

Accessibility:

When modelling buildings for games remember that if there are steps the height difference between a step and another should not be too large or in engine the char wont be able to use them.

Poly Count:

For UDK / UTIII / Crytek / Unity or whatever other game engine not to have a fit when rendering the assets a few poly counts should be respected, these are:

1000 - 2000 for buildings with exteriors only.

1500 - 3000 for buildings with both interiors and exteriors.

3000 - 5000 for main chars, less for secondary chars.

1500 - 3500 for FPS weapons the char will be holding, less for weapons used by enemies.

Texture Maps

Texture maps should range from 128 - 128 to 1024 - 1024, very large assets can use 2048 - 2048 but it's better to avoid them.

danshewan
10-12-2010, 03:04 PM
I don't know where you're getting your information Rahl, but those polycount guidelines are ridiculously low, especially considering the capabilities of today's tech and player expectations and very misleading to anyone less-experienced who might be reading this.

Assuming you're making assets for a current-gen FPS, a first-person weapon can be anywhere between 15 - 20k tris, depending on the complexity of the model. Same with characters - even Alyx in HL2 (which was released six years ago) was over 8k. These days, FPS weapons, characters and vehicles routinely hit the 20k mark.

Also, your poly count estimates for buildings are way off. With 3k, you'd be hard-pressed to make something moderately complicated look even remotely decent by today's standards, let alone with a functional interior. Crysis, released three years ago, frequently had environmental polycounts of around two million on-screen at any given time.

There are no hard and fast 'rules' about polycounts, unless you're specifically given a budget by your Lead or client. Granted, some common sense is always a good idea, like not using a 2048 map on a small prop or making a 500k character, but do whatever it takes to get the asset looking as good as it possibly can, and optimize it as much as possible.

It's great that you want to help, but posts like this do more harm than good. Get your facts right before declaring these 'rules' to people that are looking for guidance, or at the very least use up-to-date information.

CGTalk Moderation
10-12-2010, 03:04 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.