PDA

View Full Version : New - Editing in Combustion 3?

dfusion
09-28-2003, 02:32 AM
I'm reading the new Combustion 3 PDF and it states:

NEW - Edit

* Assemble clips and output them in a composite for in context editing
* Integrate editing into your composites
* Use multiple edit operators to easily create complex effects
* Trim, slip, slide, and ripple clips with transitions
* Full support for multiple resoultions - mix and match clips as needed

I assume part of the reason this feature is added it due to the death of the edit* product. As a result for Windows/Mac users this is a way to help put clips together without relying on a seperate program such as Premeire, Speed Razor, or Final Cut.

Does anyone know if the editing resembles fire or smoke at all?

Regards,
Mark

Oxide
09-28-2003, 04:31 AM
I think the editing thingy in C3 is only for "quick" edits and refining. It won't resemble Fire or Smoke as they have far superior toolsets and realtime capabileties. (Hope this can be read allright as I'm getting a bit drunk).

mbxsi
09-28-2003, 09:50 AM
but then i don't understand why at all since i can use the timeline for "quick-editing".

Chris
09-28-2003, 11:07 AM
You can use the timeline to order clips, if you look at it that way you could think of this as allowing you to create 'timeline operators' (ie edit operators) allowing you unlimited timelines of footage in all sorts of different orders, all outputting to layers, which you could reorder further in time or stacking order, fade them in & out etc etc. If you have a bit of a think about it, it appears a lot more powerful than it sounds.

Jack Pfeiffer
09-29-2003, 09:34 AM
Hi...

I wrote the Cv3 intro article over at FXGuide.com.....
- See http://www.fxguide.com/article156.htm

In that article, I tried to point out that, although the "edit" function is really nice and powerful, this functionality is ALL from a COMPOSITING standpoint. In my opinion, for "polishing-finishing-editing," most people will still need to use a full NLE (non-linear editor) tool... I believe that the Cv3 "edit" tool is NOT going to prove satisfactory to most .... Why? Well, for one thing, the "edit" operator supports many video clips, but NO audio tracks.. And Combustion v3 still supports only ONE audio track! 'Nuff said.

And since Adobe Premiere is bundled with most capture cards now-a-days, and it is a more-than-adequate tool - If you don't like Premiere, try Vegas or any other editor - take your pick.

regards,

jack

todd4cgi
09-30-2003, 07:08 AM
What I'm getting from the news of the "edit" feature is that this will enable you to tie together several effects shots together.

I see this as a very good tool in that there are many times where one scene will have several related effects shots back to back. To see how well the effects shots work together you can blend them or tie them together in Cv3. Seeing how well or if they work together, you can then make adjustments to each effects clip before committing them to output.

A lot of people are whining saying that Cv3 isn't much of an upgrade. I see just the opposite. The new version of Photoshop ("Photoshop CS") looks like a .5 upgrade. Notice how they aren't calling it v8. Although I get the feeling they got their inspiration for that from Macromedia's "MX" line.

Back to Cv3, I'm looking forward to it. I think once I start to work with the new Edit feature I will see a lot of great uses and benefits from it. Not to mention Expressions and the ability to save ALL operators as presets.

dfusion
09-30-2003, 07:29 AM
For those who take the time to go through the NEW feature list of combustion they will notice a significant amount of enhancements that justify a v3 name. On the surface at may not be as much as v1 -> v2, but the edit feture and javascript expressions are enough to make me happy. Everything else is bonus!

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.