PDA

View Full Version : problems mixing maya and MR shaders in 2009

daddyo
08-17-2010, 07:39 PM
Ok so they are using 2009 at work... I'm rendering passes using the render passes breakdown. In my scene I have a blinn on the ground plane, and a character with mia_material_x_passes. The beauty pass shows a cast shadow, but in the render passes, the cast shadow is gone in the diffuse pass. I can fix it by making the shaders all MIA shaders or all blinns, BUT, I do have a lot of shaders in this scene and turning them all into MIA shaders would make the scene unwieldy, not to mention it is not necessary for anything but in case I want proper shadows. There must be some setting that will transmit the shadow rays properly in the render passes no?

Thanks,

Kyron
08-17-2010, 08:50 PM
Why not just create a new render layer which only has shadows then comp it after? You could use the background shader for that.

daddyo
08-17-2010, 10:42 PM
Yeah a separate shadow pass was another easy fix, but I'm really curious to know how the shaders could play well together.

R

TaKIKO
08-18-2010, 03:09 PM
You kinda of listed and solved your problem in your topic title. The pass system is notoriously buggy. Not all passes work. If you do plan on using the pass system its best to stick with either maya or mental ray shaders and not mix. In my opinion just stick with the mia.

Bitter
08-18-2010, 08:19 PM
Just use the mia_material. The Maya shaders at this point are almost legacy. What are you trying to accomplish with the Maya shaders?

I also think I saw a script somewhere to change shaders, but it was old can't seem to find it now. :-(

daddyo
08-19-2010, 01:16 AM
yeah, I'm fed up with troubleshooting stuff like this, I should just be concentrating on artwork. Thanks for the reality check.

Bitter
08-19-2010, 01:40 AM
It could be worse. . .you could be at your last job. . . .

daddyo
08-23-2010, 10:14 PM
ROFL...

Yeah. Whats up man! I was reeling from that for a while.

CGTalk Moderation
08-23-2010, 10:14 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.