PDA

View Full Version : How do i make low poly models look smooth?

Roninfang
08-17-2010, 12:45 PM
only way i know how for now is by adding edge loops or normal maps any other way?

http://games.softpedia.com/screenshots/Grand-Fantasia_2.jpg

something like this a low poly model too look somewhat that smooth

molgamus
08-17-2010, 01:52 PM
If you want to keep it low poly then normal maps is the way to go, atleast if you are making a model for a game engine.

Roninfang
08-17-2010, 03:12 PM
but what if normal maps wont be allowed?

Teloni
08-17-2010, 09:57 PM
If you are using Maya, you select all the edges on your polygon that you want to smooth, then select Normals>Soften Edge. This doesn't add more geometry, just changes the way shading occurs between faces.

Psyk0
08-17-2010, 11:05 PM
By rounding out the silhouette where it matters...i'm sure you don't quite understand what i mean but it's actually very simple. Apply a black material to your model and look at it's shape (silhouette is the term), where you see sharpness, you add cuts to round it out, but no need to cut all the way around, just where needed.

Teloni
08-18-2010, 01:24 AM
The rest of the detail in the game character you showed simply come from nice texture maps.

Roninfang
08-18-2010, 08:19 AM
Its just taking a job test currently suppose to model rig animate and texture a character though when i applied for the job i kinda applied for a 3d modeler position and when the company called i did tell them i rarely rig or animate so they cant expect my rigging or animation skills to be very good as well

CGTalk Moderation
08-18-2010, 08:19 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.