PDA

View Full Version : Question about topology

Xetil
08-16-2010, 01:30 PM
Hi im currently trying to learn alot about topology. I see that some models have really
dense topology, and others have less dense (with denser where there will be movement), and
im sure thats simply depends on the kind of project and the kind of medium it will be used in.

Question:
1.In the case where the topology is denser in some areas on the model, is it optimal to aim for the smoothest possible transition from less dense to dense?

2.And i have seen some models where the topology is really dense all over. What kind of techniques is used to controll the animation in these models?

Hope anyone can answer these questions, any help would be highly appreciated.

CGmascot
08-16-2010, 02:37 PM
1. Yes, smooth transition would be good but you need not worry about it too much. When you have that denser area like face and more edges leading out from it than you need, ending the extra ones where you can (and not artificially at one 'terminal line'), becomes quite naturally smooth. Ending all at once would look off in the shading, too.

I tend to go as low-poly as feasible, though don't push it too far, and generally go for evenly distributed polygons. Where I can't do it, I will do try do a smooth translation between areas of different densities.

2. Less dense base models are easier to rig and weight for animation - easier to get smoother transitions when effect of the bones is for instance divided smoothly between two or three edgeloops.

Denser model just means more work in rigging&weighting. But of course doing a great effort there (more bones, muscle system and what have you) and having more detail, more polys, for those systems to affect in animation will yield a more control.

One reason I see for meshes that are dense all over is to have the polygons uniform size and proportion. That works well for sculpting. Other reason for denseness would be to go 'old school' and model all detail with raw polygons.

I have some articles on topology on my blog. Maybe this (http://www.cgmascot.com/design/surface-flow-matters/) and articles related to it would be of interest to you.

- Niko

Xetil
08-17-2010, 05:15 AM
thanks a lot for that, very helpful to me.

CGmascot
08-17-2010, 09:18 AM
You are most welcome. Glad to help.

CGTalk Moderation
08-17-2010, 09:18 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.