PDA

View Full Version : 3ds,zbruh,texturing help

heartscool
08-16-2010, 03:53 AM
I Everyone want to learn more about 3d modelling but i really don't know where to start.I'm the

king of noobs in 3ds and zbrush and in texturing i really don't know where to start.Can someone

help me pls ?

tomxiang
08-16-2010, 10:25 AM
I am a greenhorn too.
But i think you learn 3ds. first.

Psyk0
08-16-2010, 11:38 PM
If you want to model characters and organics:

Learn traditional art forms first, draw anatomy with a pencil, when you have a good enough grasp on proportions, form , anatomy, silhouette and gesture then you can start to transition into the 3d world. This is the most important part and the one that you will never master, if you think you've mastered it, it means you have stopped learning and improving towards perfection.

Now this doesnt mean you shouldnt touch a 3d or sculpting app, take time to get familiar with the interfaces and understand how the tools work, maybe do a few tutorials. This is the technical aspect that you can sometimes learn in a few minutes...this part gets easier once you have experience with your software.

The software is simply a tool and you are the artist, if you haven't done your homework, don't expect to create awesome art by accident ;)

If you would prefer to model environments, weapons, vehicles etc., then you'd also benefit from traditional art training (color theory, shape, forms, details, silhouette still play a role). I would say this domain of 3D is a lot more based on technical skills and attention to details than organics....to some extent at least.

ExcessiveZero
08-17-2010, 04:37 AM
I tend to disagree with the you must start with pencil and paper, While I did always draw I found pencil and paper very problematic and discouraging, only got back into drawing when I got a wacom.

I realize this is a popular point of view, and I can understand how having such a background may help but if you set out to learn 3D from a clean slate I do not know for the life of me why you would start on it in such a round about way.

Study of Anatomy is very important sure enough as is lighting and colour theory, but id sooner point someone to looking for tutorials, books, or training in 3D then point them to "Traditional" Art forms, Your learning one thing to relate it to another while it does crossover 3D has alot more depth to it, and requires much higher levels of technical thinking and foresight, seems redundant to me to Have to do traditional art and I personally would not recommend it.

What you say about tools is right enough.

CGTalk Moderation
08-17-2010, 04:37 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.