PDA

View Full Version : Extruding along a square? - Maya

CGMad
08-15-2010, 11:52 AM
Hi

I'm currently modeling a wild west town, and I've hit a simple problem, but I haven't been able to figure out a solution. I have exhausted Google and have not been able to find an answer.

I have made a saloon bar, and everything is going fine, but this one stumps me.

I need to make a square window frame, but the pieces themselves need to be circular.

I got it partly to work using the EP Curve Tool, making a square, and extruding a circle along it but the beginning and end points never seem to meet properly, so when I extrude, there is always a gap at one corner of the square.

If anybody knows how to join the points so this does not happen, I would greatly appreciate the help.

Cheers

jaredr
08-15-2010, 05:40 PM
You could just create a torus, but set the divisions to 4, so it becomes a square, while the cross-section will still be circular.

korthuran
08-15-2010, 11:55 PM
Create a long piece in the shape you need. Cut it at a 45 with the cut tool, duplicate, merge together.

Darkherow
08-17-2010, 07:05 PM
could just delete the history on your extruded object, delete the faces at the ends and snap the vertices around the opening together and merge the verts.

CGTalk Moderation
08-17-2010, 07:05 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.