PDA

View Full Version : vray: environment fog

Galakgorr
08-15-2010, 12:16 AM
note: i'm using vray 1.5SP1 for maya.

i'm trying to render a scene that contains environment fog. i want it to fade out towards the edges, so i'm confining the fog to a cube volume. the fog renders much, much slower when it's in a volume than when it's just set as the overall environment shader-- does anyone know why this is?

also, neither the "background" render element nor the "atmospherics" render element actually contains the fog. is vrayEnvironmentFog just not fully implemented yet? vray's maya docs don't even mention environment fog.

cgbeige
08-15-2010, 02:10 AM
The environment fog is likely a compositing trick with the Z pass but the volumetric thing might have shadows and raytracing. Not sure but that could be the reason for the speed difference.

Galakgorr
08-15-2010, 03:13 AM
okay, thanks for that.

one other question: i have some characters running on a catwalk. there's a light underneath them illuminating the fog, and the catwalk is casting shadows upwards through the fog, which is great. however, the characters aren't. they are definitely set to cast shadows. is there a reason for this behavior? i've tried this both using the default method and with raymarching enabled (by connecting a texture to the fog color attribute.)

as usual vray's documentation is pretty lacking when it comes to maya...

CGTalk Moderation
08-15-2010, 03:13 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.