PDA

View Full Version : Hexagon - Boolean

MajinPaul
08-14-2010, 12:10 PM
Hi, I'm modelling in Hexagon and I want to use a Boolean with a cylinder on the head so that the head has a circular imprint in the side of the head, but by using Boolean, it increases the number of polygons with the whole model which I want to avoid, is there anyway to use the boolean effect without increasing the polygon count of the entire model? Or is there an easier method?

Animasta
08-14-2010, 10:51 PM
is there anyway to use the boolean effect without increasing the polygon count of the entire model?

No. Just like you can't lower the poly count of a model by adding more polygons.

ezekiel66
08-16-2010, 04:52 PM
If you add polygons somewhere on your model and want the overall poly count of the model to remain the same you have to take away polygons somewhere else on the model. Don't you think thats obvious?

Apart from that you should avoid using booleans, especially on organic models. It automatically produces topology/ edge flow that you cannot control and have to clean up afterwards so you should model it by hand from the outset.

MajinPaul
08-16-2010, 05:12 PM
Should have been more specific, I meant that I wanted to avoid everywhere having an increase in polygons and instead somehow limiting it so that only the area around the boolean is would get in increase in polygons, there are two places specifically that I want to have as little polygons as possible and want to make sure they aren't given too much polygons, I'm not worried if the rest of model was given more polygons.

CGTalk Moderation
08-16-2010, 05:12 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.