PDA

View Full Version : car rendering

truedragongleam
08-14-2010, 09:00 AM
Hi,

I need some tips on how to render a car in maya. Can someone help me?

Thanks

Yann1ck
08-14-2010, 09:41 AM
Hi you have to be more precise. Do you want to render a studio like shot or exterior. Will it be using a backplate or a cg environment?
In the case of a studio shot, you usually need to build a simple backdrop like a curved surfaces and then place lights and bounce cards to create reflection and hightlight on the car. For a backplate shot, well you need a photo for the backplate and a hdr image that match the location. Then again you usually add lights and bounce cards if necessary.

truedragongleam
08-14-2010, 12:02 PM
Thanks for the response.

Sorry about being vague I am pretty new at this rendering stuff.
Yeah, I am looking at doing a studio like shot using a cg environment.

Can you tell me how this is done in more detail(how to use glass and car paint shaders, etc.)? Or maybe a link that would teach how to proceed with this render? Thanks

KaMate
08-14-2010, 12:45 PM
Thanks for the response.

Sorry about being vague I am pretty new at this rendering stuff.
Yeah, I am looking at doing a studio like shot using a cg environment.

Can you tell me how this is done in more detail(how to use glass and car paint shaders, etc.)? Or maybe a link that would teach how to proceed with this render? Thanks

Take a look at the Digital Tutors one on Maya Render Passes and Toxik/Composite. For the Beginner I think it explains it the best. Being like that Toxik is thrown in for free.

truedragongleam
08-15-2010, 08:57 AM
Thanks you!

truedragongleam
08-16-2010, 09:00 AM
Hi,

I did this render in mental ray with a hdr image. I am having trouble shading the glass for the headlight of the car. I did not model the inside of the car so I decided to keep the windows dark. Could somebody shed some light on this?

Thanks

Ash-Man
08-16-2010, 02:30 PM
just Google and you will see many of them
it also depends, you want out door or studio look
I would also recommend going with render layers or render passes
it gives you more control over the final image
I did this car as a test render

http://features.cgsociety.org/newgallerycrits/g87/8887/8887_1278360123_submedium.jpg

irwit
08-17-2010, 11:44 AM
What I would suggest is find a photo you like of your car and try and replicate that photo from your render.

If your goal is to create a realistic render of a car then there is nothing better than photographic reference of what you are trying to recreate.

Also remember that 90% of materials on a car and very easy to recreate in 3d, they are all basically reflective surfaces and so I would suggest getting some basic shaders setup, car paint, chrome, glass, etc, shoulder take very long, then spend your time working on lighting. If you take an ok render of a car, and a high end render of a car, the difference will always be in the lighting.

Hope this helps :)

Will.

Kyron
08-17-2010, 07:57 PM
Pop a car paint shader on the actual car, then create some mia materials and use the presets to create materials quick such as chrome, rubber etc. as mentioned.

I reckon you can get a pretty decent render if you download an HDRI from something like http://ict.debevec.org/~debevec/Probes/ check out some other stuff on the site for some info on HDRI.
Turn on final gather, and turn off primary visibilty on your HDRI (so it dosent show up in the render), add a light or two and you should have a decent start.

As Ashman said, breaking your image into layers will give you a lot more control, I actually think he made a nice tutorial on autodesks area on how to create renderlayers.

Im not a big render guy myself, but this would be my first approach for something like a car render myself. Hope this helps and post WIPs on your progress :)

truedragongleam
08-18-2010, 09:20 AM
Thanks a lot for your time and effort!! :)

CGTalk Moderation
08-18-2010, 09:20 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.