PDA

View Full Version : Getting joints to follow along skin while being bound to it

PacManiac
08-14-2010, 03:22 AM
I'm trying to do just that, get my joints to ride on the mesh deformation while affecting it. What's the best way to tackle this?

Cheers!

rasamaya
08-14-2010, 08:08 AM
You mean creating a bone or muscle effect under the skin?

Maya Muscle System.
Sculpt deformer.

Lots of ways to do this, if I understand your question.

PacManiac
08-14-2010, 09:58 AM
Sorry, no, I meant a joint that is transformed by a mesh's deformation (so is attached to a poly in one way or another) but still can deform the mesh if the joint is moved, without getting double translation.

Lomax
08-14-2010, 02:00 PM
It can be done, but it may take more effort than it's worth.
Sune Kempf (http://www.sunekempf.com/blog/) showed off a layered skinning demo a while back, that involved outputting the base skin to a duplicate mesh, then skinning the duplicate to another set of joints. In your case, you could use rivets or follicles to attach the extra joints to the base mesh. The biggest problem though is that you need to set up a matrix connection for each joint, to prevent double-transforms.

PacManiac
08-14-2010, 08:09 PM
Thanks, I'm trying to find the post on his site but maybe it was elsewhere?

Doesn't sound that much of extra work really but could do with a kick in the right direction if anyone has actually tried the technique... mucho gracias!

CGTalk Moderation
08-14-2010, 08:09 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.