PDA

View Full Version : medusa rig

coool_brain
08-13-2010, 11:07 AM
hi everyone

I am trying to rig a medusa like character with around 40 snakes on her head
What I need is that the snakes have to follow a sine wave until they get disturbed by other snakes(which also follow their own sine waves) and then go back to its sine motion again.

Basically i need them to follow deformers and also to dynamically react with one another
Crazy!!. I mean, is this possible?

by the way I use maya.

Darksuit
08-13-2010, 05:48 PM
I would hope your using maya since your posting in the maya forum. =)

Alot of things are possible, the first question comes as how are you rigging the snakes?
Or is that a part of the question itself?

it sounds like you want something that will do collion dectection but try to keep to a path
like a hair dynamic.

There is a sine wave deformer in Maya. Create Deformers > Nonlinear > Sine

Though what you may want to do is to start with a basic experiement. You may want to try using Hair dynamics create two strands of hair, then adust the settings so that they will react if they collide with each other. Then see how you might apply a sine wave to their motion via adding a deformer or via the hypershader. You might try adding a noise node via the hypershader and note how it works.

Quick small experimentation will save you tons of time and setup hassle. Once you get your techinique down then you can move to a larger scale. =)

coool_brain
08-14-2010, 05:04 AM
thanks. will try that and let you know.

rasamaya
08-14-2010, 08:17 AM
Yah no doubt baby steps...

It may also be handy to be able to blend your snakes from Dynamic to assorted poses, like them all hissing.
This is also possible if you are going down the road of using hair/ikspline. I actually like this workflow ALOT better than doing it with ndynamics, which is also possible.

I would recommend once your simple scene is purring, is to, create your hair dynamics as a blend shape of your original head rig, giving you a little more control.

Goodluck

Geuse
08-25-2010, 03:09 PM
Any progress?
I'd love to hear(or read)

CGTalk Moderation
08-25-2010, 03:09 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.