PDA

View Full Version : duplicate instance not working

08-13-2010, 12:15 AM
hi,

so im trying to do a duplicate instance in maya. i want to copy an object, resulting 4 more objects, and i want all the other object changed as i change the parent object.

i did it by selecting the object i want to copy, press duplicate special, select instance instead of copy, change the transformation, and theres the objects.

but the problem is the instancing is not working. the other duplicate object does not change according to the main object. is there a problem in this feature?

im using maya 2011 under os x. thanks in advance.

Waynerz
08-17-2010, 02:31 PM
I just tried it on windows, it seems to work. There's no parent object, if you move the verts on any of the instances, all the other ones should update. Try resetting the options and try again. Instancing doesn't affect transforms, though, if that's what you are trying to do.

InfernalDarkness
08-17-2010, 08:38 PM
Instancing doesn't affect transforms, though, if that's what you are trying to do.

Precisely my response too. Instancing is only affected by the source shape node; in effect, you're just adding a new transform to an instanced shape node.

Meaning that changes you make to the shape node of your original object will replicate throughout all your instances, but if you move/scale/rotate your original object, those changes are all handled by the original transform node.

CGTalk Moderation
08-17-2010, 08:38 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.