PDA

View Full Version : mia transparency

Jadetiger
08-12-2010, 10:24 PM
I'm having issues with mia materials today. I have a scene with a directional light and a piece of frosted plastic. I used the matte plastic preset and then turned up the transparency a bit. Every time I use transparency with mia materials I always get these splotches. Not sure if that's due to my lighting, my render settings, or the shader. Any help on this would be great. This is going to be an animation so I can't crank up the render settings too high.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y4/Jadetigerffxi/spotches.jpg

MasonDoran
08-13-2010, 12:35 AM
Make sure index of Refractions are set to 1.0 -by default its 1.4 which is realistic for glass. By setting it 1, there will be no refractions, so you dont need any samples for transparency.

No sampling means faster render times and less noise at the cost of a less realistic shader.

TaKIKO
08-13-2010, 02:15 AM
Make sure index of Refractions are set to 1.0 -by default its 1.4 which is realistic for glass. By setting it 1, there will be no refractions, so you dont need any samples for transparency.

No sampling means faster render times and less noise at the cost of a less realistic shader.

If you do that then you will not have reflections on that material. I suggest going into the advance refractions tab and check 'Thin Walled'. If you want post your scene.

Jadetiger
08-16-2010, 06:06 PM
Thanks guys, I do have thin walls checked, but I'll try dropping that refraction index down. It's insane how much time that one material adds to my render. Is it just an issue with the shader or could it also be my lighting setup?

InfernalDarkness
08-18-2010, 06:52 AM
I honestly haven't had this issue with mia_x at least, using what appears to be very similar shaders. What kind of lighting setup are you using?

Is this a Final Gather issue?

CGTalk Moderation
08-18-2010, 06:52 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.