PDA

View Full Version : What are the best plug-ins for LW? (the ones you cant live without)

ronaldomiranda
09-27-2003, 05:58 AM
Can anyone give me some new ideas about plug-ins?

I am totally new and dont know nothing about LW plug-ins

more about FX and modeling

THANX

Triple G
09-27-2003, 06:31 AM
If you're just getting accustomed to Lightwave, then don't worry about plugins. They'll just convolute your learning process. Do some tutorials, go through some training material, and get used to the tools that come with LW. Once you've established a way that you like to work, then you can start looking for plugins that will enhance your workflow. :)

JoshD
09-28-2003, 05:26 AM
When I first started LW I downloaded every plugin that looked cool. I highly recommend you don't do that. I have a plugins folder that is monstrous and I only use about a dozen of those. If you do download plugins, place them somewhere where you can easily keep track of them so you can delete them when you realize you don't use them.

Just remember to always question whether what you are doing is really the best way. If you think it may not be, look for a plugin. There seems to be a plugin for almost everything and there is nothing wrong with using plugins.

Watch www.flay.com to see what new plugins are hitting the market. There have also been a few threads here where people have asked what the "Can't Live Without" plugins are so do a search and you will find all the resources you need.

CIM
09-28-2003, 05:42 AM
- Power Tools
- Sabre
- UV Imaginator

Also, have a bunch of scripts for Modeler. Follow the link in my sig.

dobermann
09-28-2003, 09:30 AM
I wouldnt worry too much about the plugins scenario, you can get great results from plugins but they arent essential to accomplishing your work. i guess it depends on what you are trying to achieve, for example if you are looking to create hair or fur then check out plugins such as sasquatch etc. other than that just look at the project you are involved with at the moment and see what tools and effects you need to do it and then have a scout around the net to see if you can find it.

NanoGator
09-28-2003, 10:06 AM
Incsave is the one I use the most. If you save a file as ball-01.lwo, then use the Incsave plugin, it'll increment the number in the end to ball-02.lwo. I use this in case I need to go back to an earlier revision. :)

I agree with TripleG, though. Learn how LW works without extra plugins. When you need to achieve an effect, you need to understand what it is that you're really after before a plugin becomes useful.

Don't think of plugins as something that does your work for you. Instead, think of them as something that quickens what you already need to do.

I learned this lesson the hard way.

ronaldomiranda
09-28-2003, 03:07 PM
thanx for the great tips guys.....

:thumbsup: :D

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.