PDA

View Full Version : Male head mesh study - anatomy

RicardoM
08-12-2010, 01:22 PM
Hello, I'm working on this model to get better on human head anatomy, but now I feel it has problems around the eyes in the bone structure and can't figure it out whats the problem. I watched the model too long and now I'm unsure what to do. Beside this if someone seeing any proportional problems, please tell me.

Because its my first post here is a little background about me.
I worked in the game developer industry as general 3D artist for four years. In this time I dabbled in animation and low poly character modeling, but now I'm trying to specialize myself as a character modeler in the game industry.

Any advice is highly appreciated, thank you for your time.

http://a.imageshack.us/img840/5834/genheadmalef.jpg
http://a.imageshack.us/img831/8844/genheadmaletrd.jpg
http://a.imageshack.us/img716/2482/genheadmales.jpg

Kanga
08-19-2010, 02:18 AM
There is some good stuff going on there.

The face is flat. Put two fingers on the extremities of your eye corners and pull your hand away keeping the fingers still. See how much angle there is.
The brow is indeed worried. Normally you use a neutral expression which makes it easier to go to extremes of expression on either side for animation. People can have that hang dog structure but it takes some chops to pull it off and keep it relaxed on a model.
Are these perspective views in zb? Press the P key to check.
Put a model of a skull under your sculpt and use transparency to see what is going on.
http://www.art-werx.com/broken/skel.jpg
The ears are too pinned back and I miss that dish that supports the scallop of the ear. Also the flap that guards the ear hole from the front isnt there yet.

RicardoM
08-19-2010, 10:34 AM
Hey, thanks for the reply !
Yes, I see what you mean, the face is indeed too flat. Eyebrows and the cheekbones should have better curvature.
The hangdog face was not my intention only the open mouth for later low poly baking.
I will fix that and the problem with the ears.
And no, these screen shots were all orthographic.

Kanga
08-19-2010, 06:18 PM
And no, these screen shots were all orthographic.

I would show perspective sculpts, ortho ones look weird and we never see an ortho figure. If you really wanna get down and dirty you should be doing lots of heads and bodies. Try out different characters. Do noses, and eyes, and ears, they are called chords.

Tweaking one head is slow.

RicardoM
08-20-2010, 08:20 AM
If you really wanna get down and dirty you should be doing lots of heads and bodies. Try out different characters. Do noses, and eyes, and ears, they are called chords.

Tweaking one head is slow.
Ah, like doing sketches in drawing. I didn't thought about that in this way. I will do that way. Actually I had the plan to create different models without doing too much details on it, but I still wanted to fix bigger issues on them, to understand the errors I made, before I jump to another model and probably making the same mistakes.

You are right with the perspective view, but here I presented the head near the camera. If I would do that in perspective, then it would have a big distortion, making the the front size bigger than it is, giving a false look of the proportions, IMHO.

phoenix1001
09-09-2010, 02:43 AM
In my humble opinion -
-There is a straight line coming from the cheek bone to the jaws that should not be done instead there should be some curvature inbetween giving more organic feel to the face as also mentioned by Kanga. This curvature is there because of the muscles present on the skeleton and underneath the skin giving more curvature than just a straight line on face
-Nose should be slightly lower
-Nostrils seems unrealistic as it is just a simple cylindrical hole inside the nose and far apart maybe you should give some more organic feel by adjusting it's shape

It's best to observe references when modeling realistic forms. Also, for organic forms in order to look realistic anatomy is a must.

CGTalk Moderation
09-09-2010, 02:43 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.