PDA

View Full Version : 3Dsmax Middle eastern street scene

Glynn-Richards
08-12-2010, 01:15 PM
I have just graduated from the University of Teesside with a BA Computer Games Art Degree. I have to say that I inspire to be a Environment Artist at some stage, however I have not really had my work really criticised, so I though this may be a good time. The image below is a render of a low poly scene I created for my final year project.
Your views would be greatly appreciated Thanks :D
http://features.cgsociety.org/newgallerycrits/g94/377894/377894_1272569754_large.jpg

icekiller
08-12-2010, 02:33 PM
Looks decent, but the scene dos not "live", its missing stuff, for where was a fight, think of ammo shells a magazine, a burning car, also the building need some stuff like a ad, perhaps some blood?

Ober
08-12-2010, 07:00 PM
Hey Glynn, its good start for sure and has potential to be a great piece. Could i see a wire frame render of this scene. Poly count seems a little high. adding some story behind the scene will defiantly help bring it out and give it character. Like what ice killer was saying. adding bullet holes in the right places and have a reason for them being there. Maybe adding some war posters or communism propaganda. maybe a few more props and ruble from the war torn buildings. denting the car roof or something like that, from above debris falling. Hope this helps out.

Cheers,
Sean

JakeJohnson
08-13-2010, 05:47 AM
Man I think you should check out some Call of Duty 4 action. You will get some great reference from that. I agree it seems a bit dead...adding something visually interesting to the scene like that car on fire would add some to it. Also, I think your ok with the poly count...most games today are lucky if the environments are below 300k, and I actually think you could pack some more into it. Just be cautious of our texture memory and vertex count. Blah blah blah, sorry...keep plugin away at this one.

Glynn-Richards
08-18-2010, 09:44 AM
yeah thanks guys for the advice, i defiently want to give it a kind of desolate ghostly feel. I was thinking of maybe some hanging billboards too like you say, just to build it up. As i have just graduated i dnt have that much work to show so i dnt know wether to crack on with this and go all out or maybe i would be more succesfull with my portfolio by starting lots of other mini projects to demonstrate other skills. Thanks

Glynn-Richards
08-18-2010, 03:24 PM
Heres my wireframe :) http://features.cgsociety.org/newgallerycrits/g94/377894/377894_1282143461_large.jpg

Decency
08-30-2010, 12:37 PM
It also doesn't help that everything is the same color in the render, and the lighting is lacking realism. Go for some variety in your design.

Also, for how desolate the final scene is, I would expect some dust to be flying around and obstructing visibility.

baaah888
08-31-2010, 02:32 PM
Hey Gylnn, It's a good start for a graduate level work (I graduated from Teesside 05)

The things that stand out and need the most work...

Texturing -

The dirt levels and bullet holes etc seem random in places, You really need to think about where dirt and stains are placed.

The overall colour balance and lighting values of the scene, at the minute it looks as though if it wasn't for the shadows eveything would blend into a distinct range of colour.

Texture Resolution drops on certain details which become massively obvious, for example the metal railing is way too low res and the pillars supporting them.

Modelling - (things that stand out)

There needs to be more rubble on the ground level, you have alot of damaged buildings where is the material from this damage.

The broken balcony on top floor of the central background building (end of the road), looks wierd just hanging down as a straight piece.

the lumps in the road? Im assuming they're rubble pushed up by craters from mortars and bombs? If so you need impact craters in the road that go down a little.

Like I said a good start especially for a grad, you need to focus on your texturing more overall, as your modelling seems ok. colour balance, dirt placement, and contrast in your scene might help a little. Also changing the sky colour a bit the yellow matches the other colours too much. the sky is generally blue at midday (on a clear day) where ever you go int he world (im guessing it's midday because the shadows are almost striahgt down.) Keep going though and tweak and iterate things and you'll have a very nice portfolio piece.

Glynn-Richards
09-02-2010, 12:58 PM
Hey cheers baaah888, thanks for some valuable criticism I will definitely take in into account :) its funny you said you had graduated from the land of the smog (Teesside uni) ha. I have to ask one question tho... how did you find braking into the industry after uni, of course I know its not a walk in the park however it seems from were you are working you have definitely made it :)

Cheers again

baaah888
09-02-2010, 07:38 PM
Hey cheers baaah888, thanks for some valuable criticism I will definitely take in into account :) its funny you said you had graduated from the land of the smog (Teesside uni) ha. I have to ask one question tho... how did you find braking into the industry after uni, of course I know its not a walk in the park however it seems from were you are working you have definitely made it :)

Cheers again

I'll sum it up brief, I finished uni with an average character based portfolio, I spent a few months travelling around the uk seeing friends and drawing, I then started to do competitions on cgchat(gameartisans.org now) and portfolio stuff (mainly characters) and a bit of HL2 mod work. By Xmas I had a character portfolio and a bit of prop work, I started to send it out got a few bites of intrest, and a few offers from student startups (but I didnt fancy those as I wanted the experience of a bigger team and garunteed work/money) but mostly I got rejections saying roughly "we like your props more than your characters, do some environments and props and reapply"

I did that, I spent 2-3 months doing nothing but environments, I did 4 small scenes 2-3 weeks each with props to accompany them. picked my best 2, and all the good props and started applying as an environment artist. Had 4 or 5 art tests offered, to and 2 interviews in about a week of applying,

first interview was at free radical they liked my stuff but when they told me the starting wage (it was way too low, and my friend who had started there as a programmer warned me off them) I basically said I wouldn't start on that low.

Other Interview was Creative Assembly, (mid june) (I was a big TW fan anyways so it was my prefered studio) I actually went there to interview for the console team I think, but I got offered a job on the PC team about 15 minutes after leaving the studio (only it wouldn't start till September) and I accepted before I'd even got back to the train station in horsham. (all in all it took a year aproximatly to have a signed job offer, although I could have done it quicker if I'd focused myself earlier) I then Partied all summer and made sure my skills we're ready for the job.

Ive been there 4 years this saturday (sept 4th) Since then I was a 3d artist on Empire mostly Campaign map, and for Napoleon I was the Campaign Art Lead. And the same again for Shogun2, which we'll be revealling soon with its awesome new looks ;).

The best Advice I can give you is, work hard, focus on one disciplin primerially like environments, and make sure your portfolio is kick ass and as good as you can get it,

Also remember Your work will be judged as much on your Worst piece of work, as it will your best piece, so constantly maintain your portfolio, get it to a certain size, then every new great piece should force out your worst pieces. aim to keep it short concise and full of quality. Once you have a job feel free to slam all your work onto a site to show it off but while hunting for work keep only your best stuff on your portfolio website

Keep working hard, doing tutorials and new techniques, improving on your older work, and you'll be fine, study environments and architecture, and learn where to model things or use textured detail, etc...

No one expects a perfect graduate, I was rough on leaving uni, Im still not the best at texturing but constantly aim to improve. so just focus on getting the portfolio done and apply to everywhere your prepared to work, even if they're not advertising.

Edit - wow that wasn't brief

sk3d
09-02-2010, 11:31 PM
Good comments from baaah888.

This is a nice piece and your modelling skills look solid.

Just some comments on colour pallette and textures:

I really would like to see some minor colours coming through here. You have the primary dusty / yellow colour scheme, cool, but some small splashes of secondary colour be it paint, cars, sky (Not too harsh though) will make this more interesting.

Also watch the resolution of your textures, some are high res and crisp, and some are low and blurry, it looks disjointed. Try to get them around the same res in view.

Also try not to use too many textures straight from photos. They stick out and dont help, edit them, paint over, mix them with others as layers, hell even throw filters on and multiple overlays. Just think about them in context and remove lighting details on your textures if you can.

Also be aware of scale; some of those cracks and bullet-holes look mighty large and reduce the percieved scale of the buildings.

Phew

Hope this helps man, keep on trucking!:scream:

Glynn-Richards
09-03-2010, 10:08 PM
Cheers again guys.Good to know Iam in the right direction. Iam currently just adding some more interest to the streets focal for example incorporating rubble and damage to the cars..maybe some more general material scattered around too. Iam aware like some one commented and understand my lighting is not a great strength of mine however Iam working on that too :) i hope to update this very soon with some screen shots of improvement. cheers again for the criticism..its very helpful ta.

Glynn-Richards
09-09-2010, 02:07 PM
well I have taken the advice I have received on board and this is just an update on my progress I have noticed I have not really updated this post in a wile. As you can see Iam working with some dust and I have changed the lighting scheme slightly. I have started working with more interest with regards to the groud and will start reworking the textures of the environment soon too. I hope this is a step in the right direction cheers :).............oh yeah and iam aware of the wires need moving..ooopshttp://i.imagehost.org/0965/middday_scene.jpg

Ober
09-11-2010, 11:25 AM
Its looking alot better, i still think it could use a few more props. Looks a bit empty on the sides of the road. maybe some garbage or garbage cans or something. Looking forward to seeing how the re-working of the textures turns out. keep it up!

Cheers,
Sean

m1NDfReAK
09-11-2010, 07:02 PM
Hey man,

Looks OK, too monochromatic though. Needs lighting adjustments and texture tweaking to break it up more. A little more contrast throughout wouldnt hurt either.

Good Luck.

GB

Rahl
09-14-2010, 06:50 PM
Nice work,

the render needs correction either in engine or in Post,

in this case Post should do it.

This is how I would go about doing it, its personal ofc:

This refers to PS:

--- Eliminate the green color cast your image has by adding color a adjustment layer with red to +20.

--- Increase the vibrance of the whole image by 50.

--- Add a high pass filter set to 0.5 pixels to the mid tones to bring our the details.

--- Duplicate the background layer and ser the blending mode to Overlay 10% to bring out foreground from background.

--- Increase the vibrance of the sky to make it stand out.

--- Increase the contrast, darkness and vibrance of the focal point, which is the middle building.

--- Add a shade of black to the corners of the image to bring the viewer inside the scene.

--- Add an advertisement on the advertisement panel on top of the building in the distance.

--- Bring out the reds of the street signal and of the car rear lights.

Things that Imo cant be fixed in Post and should be fixed in engine:

--- The ground breaking along the road does not look right, its a war scene, not the setting of Tremors.

--- The electric wires are going from nowhere near the car, to a brick, to nowhere further along a wall. Their presence is a nuisance to the render and they could be easily eliminated all together.

--- The bullet holes are too large by roughly 50% and are way too many.

Again nice work.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq262/Rahl12345/Midday_Corrected.jpg

Rahl
09-15-2010, 12:35 AM
Edit,

someone had talked about COD 4.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq262/Rahl12345/Midday_Corrected_2.jpg

Glynn-Richards
09-21-2010, 10:36 PM
haha i like what you did there, cheers for the crit mang :)

Glynn-Richards
09-27-2010, 10:49 PM
Well...I noticed I havenít been on here in awhile so I thought I would just upload a quick render of what I have been working on with regards to the street scene. As always Iam taking into consideration the crtis that I have had and therefore this is what iam coming up with so far :) Iam hoping to create allot more adverts and street signs within the scene and yep the textures still need to be worked on however I have just wanted to build up the scene. I think I will create also some more street side props too e.g. bin bags boxes etc. I have just messed about with the lighting but nothing serious, just once again hopefully a step in the right direction. I have lowered the density of the fog as I found it was defiantly sapping all the colour out of the scene so I found tweaking the fog helped bring a much better colour contrast back wile retain some dusty fog. Your opinions are greatly appreciated ta :)http://c.imagehost.org/0215/Mid9.jpg

m1NDfReAK
09-27-2010, 11:34 PM
Hey there,

You've made some nice changes. I really like the splashes of colour you're bringing into the scene with the signs.

The next thing I would suggest is getting a little more work out of your normal maps and materials. Right now all of your assets have a similar feel when it comes to those elements.

Best of luck to you!

GB

Ober
09-30-2010, 10:30 PM
hey Glynn-Richards,
Its coming along, alot better then before. One thing that stands out is the power cables, it dosen't look like there going to anything. Maybe add a power breaker box or somthing. Also the car looks really clean for how much damage is done to it. Keep up the good work!

Cheers,
Sean

roxburry
10-14-2010, 05:17 PM
Looks good! Nice changes from the beginning.

Recommendation...create a story in your mind for the scene. Who was there? What happened? How did soldier/militia/rebels/civilians move through the scene? Did the military call in an air strike? Were hand grenades thrown? What was the purpose of this street? Was there a lot of traffic? What was it like before war came to town? Etc.

I think if you know in your mind what the back story is you'll be better prepared to layout your scene assets and models. Also...try picking a focal point in your composition. Maybe it's a burned out car. Maybe it's something on the horizon. Draw the viewer's eye to something of interest.

Keep up the good work!

Glynn-Richards
11-03-2010, 10:15 PM
Well as always I have just been chiping away at this project when I have spare time. I thought it has been a wile since I posted an updated screen shot of the scene so here it is :)

Comments always welcome thanks
http://b.imagehost.org/0666/Mid13.jpg

CGTalk Moderation
11-03-2010, 10:15 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.